Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

Default Re: Magic The Gathering

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    Its lame they've slowed down red so much and stopped reprinting lightning bolt. Why
    Dumbing the game down, they got rid of a lot of great cards/strategies. Every color but Black has been downgraded, and red took a hit with worse burn, and no playable land destruction.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Kite
    it can also be reprinted to shit like shock lands.

the first cycle of lands in khans, then zen fetches in khans 2, then the reprint of all lands in khans 3.
    That won't happen. Zen fetches will be reprinted in return to Zendikar. Don't expect more lands in the next Khan set. By the way, there's only two Khan sets I think, not 3. Or is that change implemented after Khans?

Banned

I like Dega colours a lot, so the idea of this set is cool, but standard is just so slow and noob like these days I cannot be bothered to get back in to it.

just looked up these charms. Very very underwhelming for 3 colours, especially compared to the guild charms.
    Last edited by Nick Young; 09-11-2014 at 06:24 PM.

Some dude taped himself opening a $5k Alpha starter pack. Look what he found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRxCeO2KIS8

(He probably don't own the pack but the sponsor though)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Hero

Don't know anything about this game, but reading it doesn't make me think it does anything special... I must be missing something.. I get that it's rare but why is it worth 27,000-30,000$$
    Are you sure it's worth that now? Back in 2006 when I was playing hard core it was only like $900.

Crazy.

It's rare because such a tiny amount of those were printed in the first place, and it's broken so will never be printed again. There is a professional format in Magic where you need that card if you want to be truly competitive too, Vintage aka Type 1.

Also because it was in one of the first sets printed, not a lot of copies that were printed are in circulation-lots were probably thrown away or treated in shit condition because no one knew that Magic would still be around 20 years later, and that the card would be worth anything.

Shit,are you serious Black Lotus is worth $27,000 now? It's still just a piece of printed cardboard.

Saw a PSA 10 graded going for 15k on Ebay. Lower graded are under 10k.

Banned

Google "man opens black lotus", you'll see different reports that say between 27,000 and 30,000$$ but my GF and I are looking them up now and they don't seem to be selling for more than 12,000 at the most.
    Probably that one is mint condition then, and the rest are not in as good condition.

Still though, $12000 when that card was worth $900 in 2006, that's pretty huge.

I've been checking sites and a bunch of my old cards have jumped up in price ALOT.

I wonder if this card game will stick around-loads of other collectible card games have died out by Magic just seems to be getting bigger. Glad I hung on to these things, don't have a black lotus though. It's still a fun game to play for me, I just don't have a lot of friends near me who play to play it with anymore.

Fun fact about magic-did you know in 98-99 they were showing live matches on ESPN?
    Last edited by Nick Young; 10-14-2014 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    Fun fact about magic-did you know in 98-99 they were showing live matches on ESPN?
    It happens to be around the time when MTG became broken again courtesy of Urza Saga's R&D team.

Google "man opens black lotus", you'll see different reports that say between 27,000 and 30,000$$ but my GF and I are looking them up now and they don't seem to be selling for more than 12,000 at the most.
    That 27k one is in near-mint condition. The one on YT is clearly in mint condition, which will be priced differently i.e. surely higher than 27k.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BurningHammer
    It happens to be around the time when MTG became broken again courtesy of Urza Saga's R&D team.
    First set I bought cards of was Apocalypse. First rare was Penumbra Wurm

I finished top 8 in Friday Night Magic last week. There was like 25-30 people there, so I was pretty happy. I very nearly beat the #1 ranked guy in the tournament. We traded blowouts in games 1 and 2 before a very tight game 3. We both had 10 life and several creatures on the board. That was until he drew this card and swiftly killed me for the painful loss:

Quote Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
    Dumbing the game down, they got rid of a lot of great cards/strategies. Every color but Black has been downgraded, and red took a hit with worse burn, and no playable land destruction.
    I am currently running a black-red minotaur/burn deck in standard, and yes, they did downgrade both colors with this recent set. However, most of my most important cards are still standard, so it didnt affect me all that much!

Ahh yes, black lotus.
    Don't know anything about this game, but reading it doesn't make me think it does anything special... I must be missing something.. I get that it's rare but why is it worth 27,000-30,000$$
    The price is a reflection of both the rarity, and how massively strong this card is. It might not seem that great at first glance to someone who doesnt play the game. However, adding three lands of ANY COLOR, on turn 1, for no mana cost, is absolutely insane. Along with the mana that you play for the turn, you now have 4 mana and your opponent has nothing. There are so many cards to play, but how about this?

Before your opponent has even played one turn. Brutal!

haha. Basically, mana is what allows you to play your cards. For instance, this card costs 3 Mana to play, as you can tell by the upper right hand corner:

It requires three lands to play that card.

Importantly, you can only play one land, or ''mana,'' per turn. No matter how many lands you have in your hand, you can only play one of them every turn. And since you only draw one card per turn, it can take time to build up the your mana resources.

(Technically, a land produces mana, but I am just using the words interchangeably to avoid confusing you.)

So, take another look at Black Lotus:

If you look at the upper right hand corner, you see that this card costs 0 mana. So, you can play this card for zero mana cost, and then it has the ability to give you three mana. So, on turn one, you have three more mana than you otherwise would have.

Remember earlier, I said that it can take time to build up your mana resources. Well, if you have black lotus, you can immediately play powerful cards before your opponent has a chance to build their resources. If you draw two black lotus on your opening hand, you can cast some of the strongest monsters in the game before your opponent has even played one turn.

In other words... it is a super, ridiculously broken card! Way way overpowered. Super rare. And criminally expensive.

For some reason I had fun writing that, even if you probably don't care that much. Oh well :P
    Last edited by joe; 10-15-2014 at 12:35 AM.

Nah, I appreciate it.. I understand a bit better than before, would probably have to actually play it to fully grasp it.

Now why I came in here, that card is now for sale, the asking price of 100,000$
    There will be someone crazy enough to buy it for financial reasons. The game has caught the high wind a long time ago and it won't just die even Hasbro suddenly killed the game off for whatever reasons. And, at this point, there is no sign of the game dying. There will be demand.

The obviously mint Alpha Black Lotus may have a potential to be valued at Honus Wagner level, and the game has only been around for 21 years.

I was at GP Ottawa on Sunday (couldn't attend the main event on Saturday because of works), entering a big Sealed tournament of 170+ players. My pool was crap money-wise but quite strong to play around with Icy Blast and Crater Claws. I had an amazing run with 5 wins in a row even the one that I was penalized a game because of incorrect deck registration, only to lose the first game due to not showing morph creatures at the end of the match that I actually won. I survived until the end of the tournament with 6-3 record, finished at 16th place, the last prize spot of a half of Khans box!

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BurningHammer
    I was at GP Ottawa on Sunday (couldn't attend the main event on Saturday because of works), entering a big Sealed tournament of 170+ players. My pool was crap money-wise but quite strong to play around with Icy Blast and Crater Claws. I had an amazing run with 5 wins in a row even the one that I was penalized a game because of incorrect deck registration, only to lose the first game due to not showing morph creatures at the end of the match that I actually won. I survived until the end of the tournament with 6-3 record, finished at 16th place, the last prize spot of a half of Khans box!
    Post any good pulls

Quote Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
    Post any good pulls
    Last edited by BurningHammer; 11-27-2014 at 09:30 PM.