Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Who's the greatest Laker, Magic or Kobe?

The only people saying Kobe are Kobe-only fans. Not a single Lakers fan think Kobe was better than Magic because they know better.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Magic. He had more impact, not only on the team and the organization, but the NBA as well. Showtime Lakers was probably the best era in Laker history, and brought the stars to their seats.

Kobe is the better individual player, but Magic probably is the better impact and without a doubt the better team player. Kobe is probably the second greatest laker of all time, and he may become the greatest depending on how long he last. But Magic did more in the short amount of time he was in the league than Kobe did in his long career.

Local High School Star lakerspng's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
    The only people saying Kobe are Kobe-only fans. Not a single Lakers fan think Kobe was better than Magic because they know better.
    the question is not who is the better player.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lakerspng
    the question is not who is the better player.
    Oh in the case

Magic.

But didn't you say Kobe was better than Magic?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry West
    “Well, it is difficult (to judge the greatest Laker ever) when you have probably the greatest center to ever play the game playing for your team in (Kareem) Abdul-Jabbar (and) Magic Johnson, who was an absolutely incredible player. I played with one — Elgin Baylor — incredible player. Wilt Chamberlain (also).

“But if you look at what (Kobe’s) accomplished solely as a Laker, becasue the other players, except for a couple of them, were acquired through trades. He was drafted here and he’s played his whole career here. To me, I don’t see why you couldn’t say he is the greatest Laker player in terms of talent. In terms of the talent, the Lakers have never had a better player than him. Never.”
    http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/20...n-kobe-bryant/

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Whoah10115
    But didn't you say Kobe was better than Magic?
    When did I say that? I said Kobe could have surpassed Magic back in 2011 when he was going for a 3-peat but that ship has sailed and Kobe declines more and more every season.

Quote Originally Posted by Micku
    Magic. He had more impact, not only on the team and the organization, but the NBA as well. Showtime Lakers was probably the best era in Laker history, and brought the stars to their seats.

Kobe is the better individual player, but Magic probably is the better impact and without a doubt the better team player. Kobe is probably the second greatest laker of all time, and he may become the greatest depending on how long he last. But Magic did more in the short amount of time he was in the league than Kobe did in his long career.
    a lot of Magic's impact in the NBA though is because Magic came into a dead league and he and Bird brought it back to life. NBA was in much better shape when Kobe came into it. But with anything, timing plays a large part. Both guys have done so much for the organization it's amazing. As much as Magic carried the Lakers brand domestically, Kobe has done internationally. Hopefully we have a player in the future who can carry the team the way they did.. I'm just not convinced it's Howard just yet.

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

When did I say that? I said Kobe could have surpassed Magic back in 2011 when he was going for a 3-peat but that ship has sailed and Kobe declines more and more every season.

I'm unaware of this "decline more and more every season"

Yeah sure he's lost a lot of athleticism butt the dude was 2nd in scoring last year and has maintained his high level of play by finding new ways to score and be effective

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Kobe is better right now than he was in 2011 and 2012. He was also better in 2012 than he was in 2011. You obviously have no idea what youre talking about.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    Kobe is better right now than he was in 2011 and 2012. He was also better in 2012 than he was in 2011. You obviously have no idea what youre talking about.
    Good luck if you think he is going to sustain it.

He's better this year than last, leading the league in scoring at his highest career fg%, not sure that exactly meets the description of decline, but if the hate makes you feel better, by all means...

It's a battle of overall impact vs longevity for me. It's close, but I'll have to side with Magic on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by longhornfan1234
    Has Kobe finally surpassed Magic as the greatest Laker?
    Magic, but Kobe might be a better player. Magic is just synonymous with LA during basketball's "prime" in the 80s.

-Smak

Jerry West overall contributed more to the Lakers franchise than any other player or former player.