Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Our bench

"The Residential Pit" franchize's Avatar

Default Our bench

So I'm excited like most of you that we have arguably the best frount court in the league. However, I did some analysis and we may have the worst bench in the league. Other than Shumpert,an unproven rookie, there isn't one player on our bench who can create their own shot. We HAVE to address this. In my opinion, this is what makes or breaks GM's. With big name free agents, it's essentially a money and recruiting battle. A sales pitch. To me, the mark of a truly talented GM is the ones who have an eye for a talented supporting cast. Can someone please explain to me how Al Thornton doesn't have a job but Jared Jeffries does? I mean it isn't even a comparison. I'm so tired of us signing guys who are either one dimensional or total bums. We let guys like Pietrus come and go thru waivers and the Celtics swept him up. But we go and claim Novak off of waivers? I dont mind getting Novak if you have other playmakers to set him up. Right now,Shumpert and Bill Walker are probably our best bench players. That's a huge problem. It's ok to have 1 or 2 guys who do dirty work but aren't really tht talented. Our roster is littered with them though. We have about 5 players that probably wouldnt be in the league if they werent on the Knicks. That's sad and scary!

P.S. SIGN AL THORNTON!!!!!

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Our bench

Hey, at least we aren't Charlotte who barely has a starting 5.

Knicks Board Moderator knickscity's Avatar

Our bench isn't as bad it may seem.

I just think our projected starting backcourt would be best if both of them came off the bench, which would help bolster our bench.

Our guys just aren't terrible, but they aren't household names yet.

Quote Originally Posted by knickscity
    Our bench isn't as bad it may seem.

I just think our projected starting backcourt would be best if both of them came off the bench, which would help bolster our bench.

Our guys just aren't terrible, but they aren't household names yet.
    This coming from the guy who thinks Jared Jeffries is valuable
    I mean let's call a spade a spade. He can't guard anybody, he's inept on offense and he shoots free throws as nbad as Shaq. He's about asuseful as the Packers punter.

Quote Originally Posted by franchize
    This coming from the guy who thinks Jared Jeffries is valuable
    I mean let's call a spade a spade. He can't guard anybody, he's inept on offense and he shoots free throws as nbad as Shaq. He's about asuseful as the Packers punter.
    Yep, I do, and for the vets min, I have no issue with him being here.

No different than how you view Sebastian Telfair.

I don't think he belongs in the NBA at all, but I know you do.

Sebastian Telfair is WAY better than Jared Jeffries. For starters, he can make a free throw.

Krust Kingz

[COLOR="Navy"]I wont join in on the who is worse convo...

..however the Knicks bench is pretty terrible. I really dont know if its pressing to add Thornton. They still have 1 roster spot left and the 2.5 mill. I dont think it will be wasted on that guy. At worse the veterans minimum which is no major loss to dump when a real NBA player becomes available.[/COLOR]

We don't have the worst bench in the league.

Our bench outplayed Nets bench.
    Not only that but our bench outplayed their starters too

Shumpert and Harrellson may be unproven but they are solid bench players.Not good as Jamal Crawford but solid.
    And we will also have Douglas coming off the bench when Baron gets healthy,

our bench has trigger happy players, its gonna be brutal the first couple games

Do I think Jeremy Lin is a solution to our problems? No But I'm glad we signed a guy who isn't 30+.

p.s. SIGN AL THORNTON!!!!!!

Krust Kingz

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch
    We don't have the worst bench in the league.

Our bench outplayed Nets bench.
    Not only that but our bench outplayed their starters too

Shumpert and Harrellson may be unproven but they are solid bench players.Not good as Jamal Crawford but solid.
    And we will also have Douglas coming off the bench when Baron gets healthy,
    [COLOR="Navy"]i didnt realize the Knicks played the Nets to even make this comparison.

Boy making grand proclamations and you have seen these guys play how long?

I do know their are quite a few teams with terrible benches... We lose Shumpert no problem oh wait their is a problem... That lets you know that the bench is terrible at this point.

If and when Shumpert, Bibby and Boomdoggy comes back healthy then we have something working.[/COLOR]

I would love for this team to have a deep bench, but let's be honest.

Exactly how much would that cost, since we have the bulk of the cap locked up into one of the best frontlines in the NBA.?

The team has made a choice....they put a core together.

And a core that can compete.

Our bench will be full of ringchasers, youngsters who are unproven, and vets.

How much will it cost? The same we're paying the guys we have.For example, instead of getting guys like Bibby for the vet minimum, we could have gotten a guy like Ben Hansbrough for the league minimum. Everyone wants to say "it's a no risk signing" after we acquire an old bum. NO! There is a risk. That's a roster spot being taken up. That could be going to a young, hungry guy who's yet to get his chance to prove himself....or a talented guy who caught a bad break and wants to re-establish himself in the league. For every vet minimum guy we signed, that could be a league minimum guy with talent and a chip on their shoulder...ready to prove something. Look at a guy like Wesley Matthews. Undrafted and now a quality player. We look like the Colts and we all see what happened to them when they lost Peyton. You cannot play with 3 big time players and a bunch of guys from accounting.

Franchize, you actually said the same thing I said.

Krust Kingz

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]I made the same argument 2 years ago when people wanted a big 3. You can not just throw "guys from accountant" (AWESOME PHRASE) or "bodies that are warm" and think you can win. Its pressing to have talent and/or high basketball IQ guys.

This is the disadvantage of trying to build through Free Agency as opposed to drafting. The Knicks sold picks and gave away the world to buy a core. Buying this core (That didnt take discounts!) leaves no room to fill out the roster. The Knicks has to step up their draft game. I have no problem with Shumpert (as a SG) and Harrellson (as a hustle PF).

I think honestly the Knicks probably tried to get some guys of decent quality but having no cap space and no minutes available for most players makes it a very unattractive destination.

If you look at the teams with playoff aspirations I think only the Lakers have a worse bench.

The reality is this team will have a 2 year window with this core to get it done. If I am not mistaken Melo and Stat have player options coming up soon...

I hope this team gets close to the ECF for it to be successful.[/COLOR]