Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Where does Manny Pacquiao rank all-time?

Quote Originally Posted by Zombles
    I view the all-time list as what the boxer accomplished, not necessarily who would beat who. I think some boxers today would beat Sugar Ray Robinson, the sweet science wasn't as advanced as it is today and the athleticism in the game is much higher. The Klitschko brothers would probably beat the shit out of Marciano but it doesn't mean they rank higher.

Leonard's a great fighter but I don't see how going 1-1 with a smaller Duran, beating Hearns, and getting a questionable decision over Hagler makes him better than Manny.

Doesn't push him down, every single person on everyone's list besides Marciano lost to at least one of their best contemporaries, usually lost quite a few times.

But Pac can only go so high without fighting his best contemporary. It'd be like Ali never fighting Foreman.
    Leonard is higher than pac and its not really arguable. Pac also lost to morales, very easily could have been 0-2 against JMM and beatting berrera doesnt matchup with beating the hitman. So 1-1 vs duran> 2-1 vs morales, 1-0 vs hearns>2-0 vs berrera 1-0 hagler>1-0-1 vs JMM.

Pacquiao is up there amongst the GOAT. The only man to win in 8 different weight classes. In dominating fashion too.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    Pacquiao is up there amongst the GOAT. The only man to win in 8 different weight classes. In dominating fashion too.
    In fairness, there are A LOT more belts and A LOT more weight classes than what has existed in generations past. That belt record tells me very little. He is a great fighter because of what I see him do inside the ring, not because of his collection of meaningless alphabet soup belts.

I would probably have him in my Top 20 all-time. Actually, maybe not. I would have to work it out before saying for sure. He is a great, great fighter, but there have been a good number of great, great fighters over the past 100+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    Wladimir Klitschko: 6'6" height, 81" reach, usually comes in at 240+ lbs
    Vitali Klitschko: 6'7 1/2" height, 80" reach, usually comes in at 245+ lbs

Rocky Marciano: 5'10" height, 67" reach, usually came in at 185 lbs

Klitschkos vs Marciano would be a horrible mismatch that would result in a punishing one-sided KO loss in the early-mid rounds for the Rock.
    Marciano would be a Big Light Heavyweight or a small cruiserweight by today's standards. I think Pacquiao is a top 15-20 boxer of all time. If He beats Mayweather and Williams-Martinez he's a top 5 boxer of all time.

Pacquiao is a once in a life time talent. Can you imagine a former Flyweight Champion winning the Light Middleweight title?
    Last edited by Lebron23; 11-15-2010 at 12:33 AM.

I post-up midgets magic chiongson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the GIBBET
    I'm not a boxing historian so I can't comment on all-time lists, but since I have watched Pacquiao and Mayweather fight, I'll add this to that particular sub-topic:

Pac is clearly the better fighter. Emphasis on the word 'fighter.' Mayweather might shuffle and dodge and perform peripheral technical tasks better than Manny. But Pac's aggressiveness, strength, and chin given how much size he usually gives up, are staggering. I've wondered myself if there isn't something to the doping thing Floyd has insinuated. If Pac is totally clean, he is an outright beaaaaast.
    this. i've said before that mayweather is a better boxer than pac, and that he might beat him if they ever fought. but pac has a better overall career and has accomplished way more in boxing than mayweather

Banned

Higher than duckweather.

Dunking on everybody in the park chungerball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    Thank you. Someone with some since
    That can't be a typo....I sense some illiteracy amongst us here.
    Last edited by chungerball; 11-15-2010 at 02:57 AM.

Pacquiao avenged his loss againts Eric Morales. The same way Duran avenged his defeat againts Esteban De Jesus

De Jesus defeated Duran in their first fight. Pacquiao should have won his first fight with Marquez in 2003.

One of the judges (who scored the bout 113–113) later admitted to making an error on the scorecards, because he had scored the first round as "10–7" in favor of Pacquiao instead of the standard "10–6" for a three-knockdown round.[26] In fact, the fight should be scored as split decision in favor of Pacquiao. Consequently, both parties felt they had done enough to win the fight.

If Pac fight Marquez again next year he's going to annihilate him in less than 4 rounds.

135 lbs and above - Pac is Superior to Marquez.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

I think Roy Jones moving up in weight, all the way up to heavy weight, is more impressive than Pacquiao moving up from fly weight.

Dunking on everybody in the park chungerball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    I think Roy Jones moving up in weight, all the way up to heavy weight, is more impressive than Pacquiao moving up from fly weight.
    You mean the opponents that he found as well, or just the weight class? Because Manny has demolished each fighter from each higher weight class he fought. Jones didn't look good at heavyweight at all to me.

Quote Originally Posted by chungerball
    You mean the opponents that he found as well, or just the weight class? Because Manny has demolished each fighter from each higher weight class he fought. Jones didn't look good at heavyweight at all to me.
    Just the feat of adding that much weight. Going from fly to light middle weight is adding about 30-40 pounds. Going from middle to heavy weight is adding like 50-60 pounds. The difference in fighter becomes more severe the higher you go.

Roy Jones only fought once in heavyweight. He just couldn't do it again, it's too much for him. Still pretty impressive though.

On another note, do you guys think that skilled giants like Lennox Lewis, Klitchko Brothers, Nikolay Valuev, etc would dominate the legends like Ali, Frazier and Foreman?

Roy Jones only fought once in heavyweight. He just couldn't do it again, it's too much for him. Still pretty impressive though.

On another note, do you guys think that skilled giants like Lennox Lewis, Klitchko Brothers, Nikolay Valuev, etc would dominate the legends like Ali, Frazier and Foreman?
    Nope

A Past his prime George Foreman KO'ed Michael Moorer back in 1994. Prime Ali and Foreman had good size, long reach, and they were also very skilled boxer.

Frazier is one the hardest punchers of all time. Lewis, Klitshcko brothers, and Haye were already KO'ed by lesser skilled boxers.

I think they are capable of beating the best boxers in the Heavyweight Division.

A 38 yrs.old Lennox Lewis defeated a much younger Vitali Klitschko. Prime Ali, Foreman, and Frazier would beat a Prime Lennox Lewis.

Of-course Haye, Lennox, Wladimir, and Vitali Klitschko are future Hall of famers, but they are not in the same level as Ali, Frazier, and Foreman.

Lennox and Wlad might be rank higher than Foreman and Frazier in the Heavyweight All time lists because of their dominance in their respective era.

I think the only fight that can save the heavyweight division if Wladimir plans to fight Vitali next year.

I am huge fan of David Haye, but he's not yet ready to face the Klitschko brothers. I agree with Roy Jones that you need to have a Mike Tysonesque attitude (Inside the ring) if you want to beat the K Brothers.
    Last edited by Lebron23; 11-15-2010 at 06:34 AM.

Jones fought in light heavyweight many times though, which is incredible when you consider he started with about a 150 pound frame. To add that type of weight is really hard to do. That is probably the biggest reason he has lost so much recently as well. It really takes a toll on your body to put that kind of weight on, and fight people who haven't fluctuated as much.

Banned

Pacquiao Is the Best Southpaw Boxer ever

/thread