Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Has any other player spread out his "peak" throughout his career like Kobe Bryant?

MJ was pretty much in his prime throughout his career, even in his wizards days he averaged 20+ppg.

ISH' Muslim Community LEFT4DEAD's Avatar

Default Re: Has any other player spread out his "peak" throughout his career like Kobe Bryant?

I cant say that I hate Kobe, because Im not hating any man I dont know, and its a very strong word, but Im one of those who liked to exaggerate every mistake he made, every bad performance in important matches, his bad finals performing, chucking etc.

But when a player is playing in his 34th year of life on a very high level like Kobe, after fcking 17 seasons, and leads so called best big man in this league who is in his absolute physical peak, you just have to give this man some props and appreciate his love for this sport.

I've always wondered how much of his decline after 09 was his natural downward trend and how much was due to nagging injuries. He seems to finally be past all the finger/wrist issues he had and is handling the ball better. He's also moving really well out there compared to 2011 and parts of 2010. He keeps referring to those years as him "playing on one leg," which, while an exaggeration, holds some truth simply based on the difference in his mobility.

It's still really early though, hopefully he doesn't wear down after a full season.

I see four arcs to Kobe Bryant's career.

From 1997 to 2000, Bryant was "Showboat" where he went for style points over the fundamental - and broke through with that lob to Shaq in the West Conference Finals, game 7.

From 2000 till 2004, Bryant was the ultimate sidekick, peaked in 2003 with 30 ppg.

From 2004 till 2009, Bryant was the ultimate gunner, peaked in 2006 with that 81 point game.

From 2009 till now, Bryant morphed into some elder statesman of the exterior, and is about to hit his cagey veteran peak.

Local High School Star Basketbolero's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gotterdammerung
    I see four arcs to Kobe Bryant's career.

From 1997 to 2000, Bryant was "Showboat" where he went for style points over the fundamental - and broke through with that lob to Shaq in the West Conference Finals, game 7.

From 2000 till 2004, Bryant was the ultimate sidekick, peaked in 2003 with 30 ppg.

From 2004 till 2009, Bryant was the ultimate gunner, peaked in 2006 with that 81 point game.

From 2009 till now, Bryant morphed into some elder statesman of the exterior, and is about to hit his cagey veteran peak.
    Would you call that an objective analysis? One would think you are talking about Jerry Stackhouse there

Quote Originally Posted by Basketbolero
    Would you call that an objective analysis? One would think you are talking about Jerry Stackhouse there
    Stackhouse? WTF. He was always a gunner.

I see nobody else breaking down Kobe Bryant's career, and refuting the myth that his peak has spread out throughout his career.

Kobe= 1st round loser secund2nun's Avatar

Let the season play out. Kobe shot 43 percent last season and will probably end up shooting around 44-46 percent this season.

Quote Originally Posted by secund2nun
    Let the season play out. Kobe shot 43 percent last season and will probably end up shooting around 44-46 percent this season.
    Yes, because adding quality teammates including an ELITE assister and finally having an injury free season clearly points that way...

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by secund2nun
    You know you're GREAT when the only thing people can use to hate on you is FG%

Kobe= 1st round loser secund2nun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jabbar
    Yes, because adding quality teammates including an ELITE assister and finally having an injury free season clearly points that way...
    That does help. But his career high is 46.9% fg and that includes his entire prime and the seasons with prime Shaq in the middle taking up all the attention (Prime Shaq> Dwight, Nash, Gasol combined)...and now that he is no longer in his prime I am skeptical that he will break his career record fg% of 46.9. Now he could break 47%, but I think it will be below 46%.

If he couldn't break 47% in his prime with Shaq, then I am skeptical of him breaking it past his prime even with Howard and Nash.

raep tiem

Lin

Good college starter HorryIsMyMVP's Avatar

lol I wouldnt be surprised if Kobe was juicing it a little. In baseball we question it when a player has a bounce back year like this. Why not basketball?

Quote Originally Posted by HorryIsMyMVP
    lol I wouldnt be surprised if Kobe was juicing it a little. In baseball we question it when a player has a bounce back year like this. Why not basketball?
    Its not like he running people or out jumping people. He is just making shots and playing smart.