Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast

Default Re: The hypocrisy of hockey

Quote Originally Posted by ROCSteady
    I feel you are being dramatic in that assertion. The fights on ice are whatever to people who are used to them and only sensationalized dramatic dumbasses will make a huge deal over a punch being thrown by a WR or CB. Even a NBA team 'fight' (more often one or two swings and some shoving) isn't seen anymore deplorable than a bench clearing brawl in the MLB, which is majorly Hispanic with both blacks, whites, couple Asians mixed in.

I rarely see any competent sports fans think society is crumbling if two lineman get into it or a dude takes exception to a hard foul. Some get pumped by it, some just say whatever. Only shitheads think it's ruining America.

Sounds like you are just very sensitive to how blacks are viewed in sports. Sherman deserved much of the scorn he got, short of being known as a N--ger. People don't enjoy having irritating voices screaming at their television after seeing a dude's team make it to the Super Bowl.

I think Sherman's "rants" are ugly myself...

But I don't think they merit the attention it has gotten.. NFL is an intense league and I would expect at least that much intensity to be inside any player..

Im actually glad that there are players like Sherman to show me that it does indeed exist...

The double standard when it comes to fighting in Hockey is obvious and it doesn't take much sensitivity to see it...

like I said a few times..I can understand people who only love hockey.. I can that some of them love fighting and they don't want it taken away..

the other stuff is just a double standard when it comes to how players and the sport itself are viewed..

hell David Stern felt it was necessary to institute a dress code in the NBA to stop the "thug" talk...

Im saying the line between "thug" and normal human being is a lot different depending on which sport you watch..

you said it yourself "It's about the skin color that dominates the sport" a lot of times

College star

Quote Originally Posted by Rasheed1
    it doesnt go both ways ....

you cannot be blind enough to post on a basketball board and not be aware that a portion of society label NBA players as "thugs" for their on court behavior (mostly because of the fighting and the clothes they wear)

Hockey fans call some hockey players goons.. But they don't have the vitriol that they have for an NBA player (or nfl player) who would fight during a game...

Again, look at Sherman.. He is a "thug" and a "scumbag" (and other things) simply because of his rant on sunday.. God forbid if he had actually gotten into a fight..

People would be looking for charges to be brought against him...

you cant act like the idea of fighting in hockey and the idea of fighting of in the NBA are the same... They are obviously 2 totally different entities...

I know there is a move within the NHL to get rid of fighting.... but most "goons" in hockey don't even have any talent

There are no players in other sports who occupy so much space simply for their "goonery"
    If I based my world perspective off what gets said on this board or by sports writers then that would be stupid. Lol.

Are Doc Rivers and KJ looked at as thugs to the general public? What about Barkley and Shaq? Not every player who fights in the nba is considered a thug. Bottom line. In fact when was the last time fights broke out in the NBA and people started playing the thug card?

If we are basing our perspectives off of message board trolls, and dipshit sports writers paid to ruffle feathers, then you can find ignorant comments on about almost anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Norcaliblunt
    If I based my world perspective off what gets said on this board or by sports writers then that would be stupid. Lol.

Are Doc Rivers and KJ looked at as thugs to the general public? What about Barkley and Shaq? Not every player who fights in the nba is considered a thug. Bottom line. In fact when was the last time fights broke out in the NBA and people started playing the thug card?

If we are basing our perspectives off of message board trolls, and dipshit sports writers paid to ruffle feathers, then you can find ignorant comments on almost about anything.

no.. its more of an amalgamation of people I know and media and websites like this one right here

another thing I have learned (especially regarding the NBA) is that perceptions change with time...

I can remember when Scottie Pippen was hated because he refused to go into a play that was designed for toni Kuoc.. People swore he would never live it down, but he did..

Kobe? rape charges? he lived those down.. So Im saying that opinions change and I am mostly speaking of visceral reactions than long lasting opinions of players

people love shaq and Barkley now.. they are hall of famers... But barkley was pariah at times in his career (he deserved some of it, but he lived it down)

Im just saying that society is pretty quick to make a mountain out of a molehill when it comes to fighting in some sports, but not others

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

it doesnt go both ways ....
    It does. No matter the sport, the race, the player etc. there are insults used towards them. Just because you get your panties in a bunch over "thug" more so than a word like goon or meathead that also attacks somebody's morals and intelligence doesn't mean it only goes one way..

you cannot be blind enough to post on a basketball board and not be aware that a portion of society label NBA players as "thugs" for their on court behavior (mostly because of the fighting and the clothes they wear)
    What's this have to do with fighting in sports? Alot of the shit your talking about has nothing to do with it. NBA players are called thugs because there covered in tattoo's, have off court trouble, clothes as you said, who they hang out with. Such as somebody like Carmelo showing up in Stop Snitching Stop Lying or Steven Jackson throwing up gang signs. A few idiots like J.R Smith get the entire NBA labeled thugs. It's wrong and I agree, but that has nothing to do with fighting. NHL players make less money, aren't in the media as much, haven't had the same off court problems as a Kobe, Big Ben, O.J etc.

Even than it still exists in hockey. Tyler Sequin got a really bad rap for being a punk who partied too much and was traded, he was targeted in the media too. People like you and Go Getter just don't know enough about the sport so your blind about it. He wasn't called a "thug" all tho I'm pretty sure he's actually covered in stupid tattoo's so that probably is a race thing

Hockey fans call some hockey players goons.. But they don't have the vitriol that they have for an NBA player (or nfl player) who would fight during a game...
    I've actually never seen many fights in the NFL/NBA but I'm only 22. I can think of a few. Something like the Andre Johnson one, I personally don't care about. Look at that compared to an average hockey fight. Did Finnegan even throw a legit punch back? I love emotion in sports and I didn't care but alot of people really don't like seeing unwilling fights. Cortland was playing chippy, pushing and ripping the helmet but dude didn't actually fight back did he?

Same with the NBA. Look at that Nick Young situation recently. That's not a fight. He was surrounded by the entire team, threw a half punch and retreated. His own teammate Kendall Marshall was like ten feet back and didn't want any part of it.

I think that's a big thing. NHL players want to fight, NBA/NFL don't. I think there content with just pushing and shoving usually. When they get eachothers face they don't want to full out "drop the mitts".

Even than I don't know many people who get upset at offensive linemen pushing eachother or really anything surrounding the NFL. I've heard people say NBA players look stupid and sometimes they do during scrums. KG playing tough guy, getting on his knees and barking and never actually fighting? Most people won't like that..

Again, look at Sherman.. He is a "thug" and a "scumbag" (and other things) simply because of his rant on sunday.. God forbid if he had actually gotten into a fight..
    I found it entertaining, he looked completely crazy tho. White, black, yellow, NBA, NHL and I think that's obvious to anyone.

People would be looking for charges to be brought against him...
    Kinda like Patrick Roy's son when he got involved with another goalie who didn't want to fight back? What about Todd Bertuzzi for that huge sucker punch on Steve Moore? Dude's still in court I believe. Still gets boo'd and hate to this day. I've actually seen people use "thug" with him before. Nasty play and got what he deserved...

you cant act like the idea of fighting in hockey and the idea of fighting of in the NBA are the same... They are obviously 2 totally different entities...
    Doesn't even need to be said, only on ISH.

I know there is a move within the NHL to get rid of fighting.... but most "goons" in hockey don't even have any talent
    There is. They'll probably succeed eventually, like years and years down the road because of how intertwined it is within the NHL. Ehhh yeah there are some left. Nowhere near where it use to be. You still have your enforces but it's a dying breed. True enforcers get scratched and sit in the press box when not needed. Bottom 6 guy's like Chris Neil and Jordan Tootoo can do other things besides fights.

There are no players in other sports who occupy so much space simply for their "goonery"
    Not really these days. Most guys are useful and fill a 4th line checking roll. NBA players get called thugs because teams like NY sign Chris Smith for no reason other than J.R wanting them too. Fighting is apart of the game thus fighters are needed but like I said these days there's hardly a shit load of true enforcers that do nothing but fight..
    Last edited by NuggetsFan; 01-21-2014 at 03:37 AM.

Human beings are quick to judge, very reactionary. In short, we aren't the most sophisticated creatures when we watch our sports. I agree that we beat these 'deviant' behaviors to death. The media are vultures that often enjoy the sensationalism or character assassination of an intriguing or colorful figure.

The surprising thing about today and yesterday is that very few talking heads on the networks were laying into Sherman. They treated him very decent compared to how the general public now see him. I give them kudos for that despite the oversaturation.

College star

no.. its more of an amalgamation of people I know and media and websites like this one right here

another thing I have learned (especially regarding the NBA) is that perceptions change with time...

I can remember when Scottie Pippen was hated because he refused to go into a play that was designed for toni Kuoc.. People swore he would never live it down, but he did..

Kobe? rape charges? he lived those down.. So Im saying that opinions change and I am mostly speaking of visceral reactions than long lasting opinions of players

people love shaq and Barkley now.. they are hall of famers... But barkley was pariah at times in his career (he deserved some of it, but he lived it down)

Im just saying that society is pretty quick to make a mountain out of a molehill when it comes to fighting in some sports, but not others

Hockey is essentially less popular, with less media coverage than basketball, football, and baseball. Hockey has a long history of fights which are legal within the rules of the sport so people are desensitized, and even then there are people who still disapprove of it. Baseball allows dugout clearing brawls to keep taking place for some reason, so Hockey isn't the only sport with their own weird code when it comes to fighting. People can be ignorant, yes. Also double standards can exist especially when comparing apples to oranges, so suck it up put on your big boy pants and get used to it.

hell David Stern felt it was necessary to institute a dress code in the NBA to stop the "thug" talk...

Im saying the line between "thug" and normal human being is a lot different depending on which sport you watch..

you said it yourself "It's about the skin color that dominates the sport" a lot of times
    I don't see why the dress code was so oppressive to the players. These dudes work in a multimillion dollar industry. Image is ALWAYS stressed in big business where commerce is large. Sure it's a basketball game but they are still employees of multi million dollar corporations. What's wrong with being required to dress business-casual when you are on the clock representing your organization? Don't see it as persecution to individual identity.

People can be ignorant, yes. Also double standards can exist especially when comparing apples to oranges, so suck it up put on your big boy pants and get used to it.
    you are right.. people need to put their "big boy pants" on.. it shouldn't bug people for me to point out the double standard..

it is obvious..we should be able to admit it and move on

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter
    Fighting in sports is thuggery no matter if it be NBA/MLB/NHL/Soccer.
    Nah.. as has been explained a million times, there is an ettiquette to hockey fighting based on mutual agreement. Basketball is often one guy lashing out at another and then everything goes to shit and its a gang fight essentially. Now that is thuggery.. uncontrolled violence that serves no purpose.

College star

you are right.. people need to put their "big boy pants" on.. it shouldn't bug people for me to point out the double standard..

it is obvious..we should be able to admit it and move on

I just don't think it is some big racial/social issue that some of you are trying to make it out to be. It's simply a different sport so a different animal. Ignorant assertions can be made about anything, and they can go either way. It just so happens that in this example basketball, and football are more heavily covered by the media so negative comments are more likely to be voiced and heard.

I wanna know why in golf, fans have to be quiet when players are putting and driving, but in basketball people can scream, blow horns, and wave hands when players are shooting a free throw? I smell double standard.

i don

Quote Originally Posted by Norcaliblunt

I wanna know why in golf, fans have to be quiet when players are putting and driving, but in basketball people can scream, blow horns, and wave hands when players are shooting a free throw? I smell double standard.
    that

NBA rookie of the year Styles p's Avatar

[QUOTE=tomtucker]i don

   

NBA Legend

The answer is that they're on skates. The potential for serious damage (bertuzzi cheap shots notwithstanding) is much, much less than two people squaring off on flat footing.

That's all it is. Has nothing to do with race. If white people had a problem with watching blacks fight, there'd be no floyd mayweather or jon jones. The issue is untrained, unequipped guys just throwing haymakers on a basketball court has potential to cause the kind of harm people don't want their kids to see, i.e. a Rudy T moment. On skates, it's mostly just cuts and bruises.