Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The Magical T-Mac HardwoodLegend's Avatar

Default Re: Scarface/Tony Montana and Black People

Quote Originally Posted by Dresta
    lol @ people claiming a place they've never even been to as their homeland - really, that is incredibly stupid.

Montana was a self-destructive and egomaniacal maniac. Anyone that looks to him as some kind of role model is a ****ing idiot or a homicidal maniac. He got rich and then died being a coked up bellend, what you are saying makes no sense.

I'm sure a lot of people who look up to him recognize that he has flaws, and they wouldn't want to emulate everything about him. For one, most people would definitely like to live a longer life and die a different kind of death. But, it's his ambition, his balls, his word and his "**** the system" attitude that many find appealing.

Yehyeh, it is 'elitist' to prefer good cinema over average cinema. Blah blah.

Scarface is a cartoon film. It is entertaining but certainly no masterpiece, and not even close to being Pacino's best performance.
    I wouldn't defend 'Scarface' as being a masterpiece, but dismissing it as merely a "cartoon film" and acting like "cartoon films" can't be masterpieces in their own way is silly. You're limiting the criteria and tone for something to qualify as a masterpiece when masterpieces can come in many different forms.

And, Tony Montana is close to being Pacino's best. It's definitely in the handful of his best works along with Michael Corleone, Frank Serpico, and Sonny Wortzik.

BTW, random question... how many Criterion Collection DVD's and Blu-Ray's do you own?

Quote Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
    I'm sure a lot of people who look up to him recognize that he has flaws, and they wouldn't want to emulate everything about him. For one, most people would definitely like to live a longer life and die a different kind of death. But, it's his ambition, his balls, his word and his "**** the system" attitude that many find appealing.
    I could say the same about Charles Manson. As if there aren't any other characters that are anti-establishment :.

Do they like his incestuous obsession with his sister too?

DEF one of Pacino's best roles. Def a great film. Def over-rated.

People don't look up to Scarface for any other reason than his f-it attitude, his get money lifestyle and his drug slanging. But IMO, only immature people would admire Tony Montana.

I certainly don't look up to Tony Montana or have any desire to be like him in any way. I do enjoy the film every time I watch it, and think it is a great movie.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Think about Scarface without Pacino, it would have been HORRIBLE. Pacino by himself carried that film.

Amazing performance by Pacino
    Good film with great quotes

NBA lottery pick

To answer OP's question, a lot of inner city blacks feel they don't belong in mainstream society and its workforce, so they look to economic sustenance of an illegal nature and have disdain for authority and the officers who enforce it. Blacks, in general, always have their "ear to the streets" so to speak and keep it real by acknowledging the hood as a second homeland to Africa.

Tony Montana in 'Scarface' is one of the quintessential embodiments of the outlaw who bucks the trend, goes against the system and its laws in order to build an empire through illegal commerce. He's an icon of someone who reached a high level of success in the way a lot of blacks are striving to right now. It's the same reason why rappers always boast about how much weight they're dealing and reference hallowed figures such as Pablo Escobar, Frank Lucas, Manuel Noriega, Rick Ross, etc.

It's the whole Get Rich or Die Tryin' mentality. Not that hard to understand.
    Yeah but Tony Montana is a white character. A lot of black guys are stans of a white character. You don't see white people becoming stans of Denzel Washington's character in training day.

Quote Originally Posted by Ca$H
    Yeah but Tony Montana is a white character. A lot of black guys are stans of a white character. You don't see white people becoming stans of Denzel Washington's character in training day.
    Shows how non-racist the black community is.

I think this is the main point of confusion.

If white people stanned all over Denzel in Training Day, black people would find it absurd, and probably be upset.

But then black people stan super hard on Tony Montana, I find it ironic.

I could say the same about Charles Manson. As if there aren't any other characters that are anti-establishment :.

Do they like his incestuous obsession with his sister too?
    Charles Manson didn't have a financial empire.

And, the "incestuous obsession" is debatable. It's never made clear. That's just something Gina said out of anger, but all of Tony's actions can be described as overprotective of his baby sister and aren't necessarily sexual.

NBA lottery pick

Shows how non-racist the black community is.
    Denzel in traning day should replace Tony Montana for black people. Young Italians should become Tony Montana stans.

NBA rookie of the year

Black people dont like mayo right? Why not, how the **** can you eat a BLT sandwich without mayo? mayo is ****ing delicious. Combine Mayo and ketchup you have fry sauce.

People looking down on white people for liking Mayo is just as ridiculous as looking down on black people for the stereotype of liking fried chicken and watermelon.

Fried Chicken is delicious 99% of the time. You give me left over cold fried chicken and i still love it. Watermelon is the most refreshing of all fruit. On a hot sunny day nothing beats watermelon.

I have never understood the negative connotations attached to mayo, fried chicken and watermelon. All 3 are delicious. If it weren't for how unhealthy mayo and fried chicken are I would eat them almost everyday. But i eat fried chicken at a minimum of once a month. I cannot eat a sandwich without mayo, it just feels wrong to me. Ketchup+mayo >>>>>> ketchup alone for a fry dipping sauce.

And now that I think of it I am going to go buy a watermelon tomorrow. Love them.

Edit: white people like scarface too, its a good movie.
    Last edited by MavsSuperFan; 07-22-2013 at 02:41 AM.

NBA rookie of the year

As a white person I am a stan of John Quincy Archibald (Denzel's character in John Q). always tear up at how much the dude loves his son. makes me miss my dad.

7-time NBA All-Star

I'm white, not into hip hop and Scarface is my all-time favorite movie. Can literally watch it over and over.

Charles Manson didn't have a financial empire.

And, the "incestuous obsession" is debatable. It's never made clear. That's just something Gina said out of anger, but all of Tony's actions can be described as overprotective of his baby sister and aren't necessarily sexual.

You've got to be kidding me - that was clear as day. Not everything has to be spelled out in big letters for it to be clear.

You've got to be kidding me - that was clear as day. Not everything has to be spelled out in big letters for it to be clear.
    It's an assumption that is an attractive conclusion based on how adamantly Gina states it in her coked-up rage, but there is nothing that prevents the alternative (overprotective possessiveness) from being just as true.

One of the fun ambiguous features of the film that keeps fans talking about the movie.