Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Wilson Chandler playing in China for the WHOLE SEASON!!!!!!

I think Wilson needed the cash that badly.

Quote Originally Posted by DuMa
    I think Wilson needed the cash that badly.
    Got a family to feed, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Rowe
    When the season is over, he'll return as a Restricted Free Agent. He still has to accept his Qualifying Offer, when he does then he'll be a Nugget for I guess maybe 13 games or so in April. That makes him an Unrestricted Free Agent next summer.
    Kleiza spent the entire season in Greece tho. Chandler will be back to accept his QO, & join the Nuggets at the end of the 2011-2012 NBA season to become an Unrestricted Free Agent next summer.

Genius move for Chandler.
    A qualifying offer cannot be accepted after March 1. Teams may place a shorter time limit on their qualifying offer, specifying any date between October 1 and March 1 by which it must be accepted. If the deadline passes and the qualifying offer is neither withdrawn nor accepted, then the player continues to be a restricted free agent. The team and player are also still free to negotiate a new contract after the qualifying offer ends -- the deadline only affects the player's ability to accept the qualifying offer.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q37
    Nope. Don't work that way.
    Last edited by bagelred; 08-29-2011 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MeLO MvP 15
    Sadly the rule currently is that whenever he goes back to the NBA, he'll still be restricted and the same exact situation as right now... Look at what happend with Linas Kleiza, he was restricted and left to Greece for a year then came back and was a restricted FA again (as long as Denver offers a QO).
    Kleiza spent the entire season in Greece tho. Chandler will be back to join the Nuggets at the end of the 2011-2012 NBA season.

Risky move for Chandler.

But its a bonehead move for Earl Clark because he doesnt have any Qualifying Offer with Orlando to come back to. Heck, Orlando replaced him with Justin Harper for the backup 4/3 positions. When the season ends he'll be without a team, and most NBA & D-League teams will already be set. Considering hes a bust, he should've just waited this out and tried to make a team via training camp.
    Last edited by Rowe; 08-29-2011 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    Nope.
    I stand corrected.

CBA regular season technically ends on March 11, thought that would've been time for him to do it.

Well, hes going to have to buy himself out of his contract in February in order to return to get back to accept his Qualifying Offer. There is a "No-Opt Out Clause" but that doesnt mean he cant get his contract terminated. Happens all the time in the CBA with guys being released for all sorts of reasons.

Yeah, now I kinda retract my "Genius move" comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Shepseskaf
    My mind is still resisting this reality. As much as people, in general, know about the lockout, its still going to come as a shock when there's no NBA ball come October.
    Im not worried. I can live with the season coming back in January.

I'll be shocked if there is no NBA season whatsoever tho.

Right now would be a dead period anyways in terms of NBA news. All of the rosters would've been set following Free Agency, teams would have already made their trades, & really just gearing up for training camp/preseason.

This just means we're going to see another flurry of trades/signings/"amnesty clause" releases once the Lockout is over. The NFL one was fun as hell with all of the speculation of who was going where, but in the NBA we see 10x more trades.

I stand corrected.

CBA regular season technically ends on March 11, thought that would've been time for him to do it.

Well, hes going to have to buy himself out of his contract in February in order to return to get back to accept his Qualifying Offer.
    There is a "No-Opt Out Clause" but that doesnt mean he cant get his contract terminated. Happens all the time in the CBA with guys being released for all sorts of reasons.

Yeah, now I kinda retract my "Genius move" comment.
    Wrong again. Denver can simply take his qualifying offer away. But he's still restricted.

Wrong again. Denver can simply take his qualifying offer away. But he's still restricted.
    Wrong. I dont think you understand.

If they retract("take away) their Qualifying Offer, he is free to join a new team. The Qualifying Offer is meant to maintain a player's rights. Taking it away, means Chandler becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent. Like you pointed out he has until March 1st to accept the Qualifying Offer they made to maintain his rights, but if Denver "takes away" his qualifying offer, hes free to join whoever he wants.

I highly doubt they're going to do that. You take away a Qualifying Offer for an end of the bench bum like a Zabian Dowdell.

No such thing as sitting "idly" in the NBA unless you're stashing international draft picks who you've never signed to a NBA contract.

I say this only because Atlanta submitted a Qualifying Offer to Josh Childress for 3 consecutive summers. Although he had signed a 3 year deal in Europe, they kept submitting the qualifying offer to maintain his rights for when he came back. When he did, they signed & traded him to Phoenix for a 2012 2nd rounder. If they had not submitted a Qualifying Offer in, he would've been an Unrestricted Free Agent.
    Last edited by Rowe; 08-29-2011 at 06:41 PM.

Wrong. I dont think you understand.

If they retract("take away) their Qualifying Offer, he is free to join a new team. The Qualifying Offer is meant to maintain a player's rights. Taking it away, means Chandler becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent. Like you pointed out he has until March 1st to accept the Qualifying Offer they made to maintain his rights, but if Denver "takes away" his qualifying offer, hes free to join whoever he wants.

I highly doubt they're going to do that. You take away a Qualifying Offer for an end of the bench bum like a Zabian Dowdell.

No such thing as sitting "idly" in the NBA unless you're stashing international draft picks who you've never signed to a NBA contract.

I say this only because Atlanta submitted a Qualifying Offer to Josh Childress for 3 consecutive summers. Although he had signed a 3 year deal in Europe, they kept submitting the qualifying offer to maintain his rights for when he came back. When he did, they signed & traded him to Phoenix for a 2012 2nd rounder. If they had not submitted a Qualifying Offer in, he would've been an Unrestricted Free Agent.
    Sigh.

You just gotta read.

A qualifying offer cannot be accepted after March 1. Teams may place a shorter time limit on their qualifying offer, specifying any date between October 1 and March 1 by which it must be accepted. If the deadline passes and the qualifying offer is neither withdrawn nor accepted, then the player continues to be a restricted free agent. The team and player are also still free to negotiate a new contract after the qualifying offer ends -- the deadline only affects the player's ability to accept the qualifying offer.
    So Nuggets give him a QO that ends November 1st. If Wilson doesn't accept by deadline, which he can't because he's playing in China, then offer is taken off the table. But Wilson is STILL restricted.

You make alot of assumptions in your head about the way things work, but you're not reading the fine print.
    Last edited by bagelred; 08-29-2011 at 06:51 PM.

Sigh.

You just gotta read.

So Nuggets give him a QO that ends November 1st. If Wilson doesn't accept by deadline, which he can't because he's playing in China, then offer is taken off the table. But Wilson is STILL restricted.

You make alot of assumptions in your head about the way things work, but you're not reading the fine print.
    Its funny you say such a thing. :)

We'll cross the bridge when we get to it, that bridge is how Denver handles this situation in terms of Wilson's options with the team moving forward with the date as to which they retract their QO if not accepted. Obviously, they're going to want to retain his rights and he would be eligible to finish the season in Denver depending on how the CBA season for his team goes.

For now we're all making assumptions of how we believe it'll go down.

I don't think you guys should waste much time arguing over old CBA rules... it's almost certain that the rules will change, so argue about ifs and using the old rules in a situation where they most likely won't apply.

glad the knicks traded him before the lockout or we wud of looked even dumber turning down melo and waiting for chandler to turn the corner only to see him go to china for a year

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MeLO MvP 15
    I don't think you guys should waste much time arguing over old CBA rules... it's almost certain that the rules will change, so argue about ifs and using the old rules in a situation where they most likely won't apply.
    That's what I was thinking.

Anyways not to worried about it right now. NBA has made zero progress so as of right now doesn't even look like there's going to be a season. I wouldn't mind keeping Chandler just don't want Denver to overpay him.