Thread: Confidence

Banned

Default Confidence

I have real issues playing "my game" when I'm gettin evaluated. The latest account of that is today at practice:

I was playing one-on-one versus our best player, and it was actually competetive. He's 6-4 - 6-5 with crazy hops and the strength of a bull; I'm 6-1(6-2 big max), less athletic, and much smaller. Styll I was hitting him with the smitty, the dream shake, and EVEN THE INCREDIBLE JEREMY LIN REVERSE LAY-UP... that is, until the coach showed up. Many people missed practice for different reasons so we were just messing around and the coach would leave the gym and come back. Everytime he left I would go off, and when he came back I would start fumbling the ball, hesitating, and just not play my game and mess up. Not just versus that one guy, but when we were playing 3v3 also.

That's just one anecdote that reflects my whole life basically. I know I have the talent and the dedication. I've always been superior to my peers. But, somehow, when it comes to "real games" I always disappoint.

I'm tired of that. My lack of game confidence may be linked to my lack of real life confidence, I don't know, but I wanna get rid of it.

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by koBEDABEST; 02-15-2012 at 06:35 PM.

Serious playground baller

Default Re: Confidence

Are you trying to do too much in the games? Try to start with doing simple things, rebound, make a good pass or a good cut. I only play recreational ball once a week but I know if I start out making a few good passes or a few easy baskets it usually turns into a good day. When I start out trying to do something a little harder (shake and bake) and screw it up I usually fell like I'm in a hole

I got my confidence by playing a lot of pick-up. You are always having to prove yourself and people are always watching. You get used to performing under more pressure.

Now I'm the one putting pressure on other players and I take control. Play with a chip on your shoulder.

Banned

Just play loose man. It's all in your head, you know that. Physically, the coach watching you shouldn't be a factor. He's not there putting a hand in your face or muscling you around. The variables of the game remain the same regardless of an audience or not. It's just a mental hurdle you need to get over.

Hell man I used to shake and get butterflys before any game, now I hit up my headphones before a game do a couple dunks on warm ups and sing during shootaround etc. then when it comes to tip off shake everybodys hand and think too yourself I got this definately don't do to much first few minutes make smart plays and take shots and drive when appropriate.

NBA Superstar

Your issue is one that many struggle with (present company included). However, it can be hard to pinpoint and provide a singular solution. The best I could do is provide you with what worked for me.

In my case, becoming more immune to pressure situations required forcing myself to think I couldn't care less about the stakes while building myself up with inner-positive affirmation. I think sometimes we can be victims of our own thoughts. We know too much. In the case of basketball, it helps to simplify matters, while maybe lying to yourself a little; or at least, one may need a change of perspective.

For instance, early in high school I'd play amongst players 2-3 years my senior. Prior to ballgames, in warmups and before tip-off, I had a lot of uncertainty regarding my opponents. I made it about them. I'd wonder how good a certain player was going to be against me and I'd almost always assume the worst (meaning, I'd think they might light me up for 30). My approach was somewhat defensive. As in, my plan was just to survive against these opponents I played, whether they were truly better than me or not.

The mental approach I was required to change for the betterment of my abilities was to enter games, practices, and clutch situations with uber-confidence. A lot of times, extreme confidence may have not been there by default, but telling myself enough positive things seemed to turn the tide. I had to get it to a point where prior to a game, my thoughts were, "Man, I feel bad for these guys, because I don't think they're ready for me." I had to convince myself that's the way things truly were. In turn, I was able to more confidently perform up to my normal standards.

You know what else helps? Perspective. On the surface, when someone I wanted to impress showed up (coach, dad, girlfriend) I used to think (and still sometimes do), "Do something impressive. C'mon. Don't screw up." The truth though, is that none of what you do on the basketball court is particularly important. Even if I were to go 0-13 from the field, anyone who matters to me in life would probably forget about it by the next day. It's just not that serious. Remember why you play in the first place.

Also, as a final note, don't worry about the coach seeing you struggle against a better player here and there. Coaches usually are actually pretty good at judging the entire picture, if that makes sense. I can't remember the last time I judged a player's skill strictly off of a 3 on 3 game I happened to walk in on. Often, I can see a player struggle over a period of time and can still tell he'll be a legitimate ball player for me. Sometimes shots just don't fall. Sometimes things just don't come together. Coaches can see that. They can also see potential and hope, so playing in front of a coach is not worth getting all crazy about.

Saw a basketball once

I have a huge problem with regards to confidence. I am a very solid, skilled basketball player BUT I CANT PLAY FULL-COURT. The court is so long and I get so anxious when I see the 5 opposing players. It's like there's no space and when I get the ball I freeze and this really pisses me off because I DONT want to play like this. I want to dominate like I am accustomed to on a half-court basis or when I am with my friends. When I play with strangers, I get scared.

I need help. I get scored to dribble the ball WTF...Help me...Nervous guy over here.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by BarneyStinson
    I have a huge problem with regards to confidence. I am a very solid, skilled basketball player BUT I CANT PLAY FULL-COURT. The court is so long and I get so anxious when I see the 5 opposing players. It's like there's no space and when I get the ball I freeze and this really pisses me off because I DONT want to play like this. I want to dominate like I am accustomed to on a half-court basis or when I am with my friends. When I play with strangers, I get scared.

I need help. I get scored to dribble the ball WTF...Help me...Nervous guy over here.
    Just get in there and mix it up. I'm a relatively established basketball player (in comparison to my competition) and I still get anxious prior to playing against people I don't know. I'd suggest concentrating on aspects of the game outside of one-on-one play during a full court game. If you're scared to dribble or make a move, I say work on setting effective screens. Fill lanes on the fastbreak. Crash the boards like an animal. Find ways to scratch out some easy garbage points that don't require too much thought.

If you're real about it, there's nothing to fear about failure. If you miss all your shots one night and you turn the ball over like crazy, then a lot of the people you're playing with are probably going to think you suck. But then what? Are they going to go around their home city posting up pictures of your mug with "Worst Player Ever" written above it? Nope. No one's really going to care as long as you're working to get better.

Personally, I've had issues with players who thought highly of their own skills but were unwilling to work and were salty on the attitude front. That's where my problem comes in. But if I've got a teammate who's clearly timid but trying to improve his game (like you), I encourage them to continue working hard and to take chances. The truth is, you're not going to be able to avoid dribbling under pressure in a full court game only to one day suddenly develop that ability with age. Instead, you're not going to develop that ability until you fight through your fear enough to work on these abilities during actual games. With time, things will begin to come together.

On top of everything else, if you can pinpoint certain abilities you're self-conscious about, practice. I understand at some point it seems all the time we've put in to practicing goes out the window once that fear begins to creep in, but practicing's going to be a very important factor in the process. The idea is to slowly transition from the thoughts of, "Can I do this" to "I know I can do this."

It's alright to be scared, just don't let it control you.

Just don't drink coffee o any caffeinated drinks before you play basketball. If you miss your first 2 shots. Just continue shooting the ball.

BEAST

practice practice practice

unless you are AI , you should be practicing your game

basketball is a mental sport, confidence can be built when you've got the muscle memory down to the bone

spend time working on your game and even on the moves, shots you are already comfortable and take it to the next level

being talented and physically gifted is one thing, but putting in the work is what put decent players to great players

Saw a basketball once

that is right! in my opinion confidence is all, i learn it the hardway you can be skilled but have no confidence.

1 thing though if you are not bless physically like me 1 tip work on your skills and confidence

dedication,discipline and desire love this quote by pistol pete :)

off topic my statline earlier

4pts 4 assist 2 blocks and 2 rebounds :) i say not bad for a guy who started late playing ball at age 15 yrs old :)

Saw a basketball once

Hey,

I have a quick question on confidence. I feel that I have developed my basketball skills but I still have this confidence issue. Sometimes when I play ball, I get nervous or "scared" to ask for the ball when the ball is being inbounded. I just find it awkward when there is another playing asking for the bal l at the same time. How do I overcome this? Especially when you play with strangers? Also, sometimes I don't get the ball as much on offense and this can be disruptive to my game. How do you play with a ballhog that always holds on to the ball? Should I always just focus on working hard and doing other things like cutting, setting screens, rebounding when this happens?

The Answer

You need to conquer fear if you want to be a successful basketball player. Fear is just a sensation that's all in your head.

NBA Superstar

Hey,

I have a quick question on confidence. I feel that I have developed my basketball skills but I still have this confidence issue. Sometimes when I play ball, I get nervous or "scared" to ask for the ball when the ball is being inbounded. I just find it awkward when there is another playing asking for the bal l at the same time. How do I overcome this? Especially when you play with strangers? Also, sometimes I don't get the ball as much on offense and this can be disruptive to my game. How do you play with a ballhog that always holds on to the ball? Should I always just focus on working hard and doing other things like cutting, setting screens, rebounding when this happens?
    Regarding your asking for the ball, I think it depends on a couple of factors. First, if you're completely honest with yourself, do you feel on your given team (assuming this is a pick-up game or open gym) that you're the best and most reliable player to bring the ball down the floor? If so, there should not be hesitation when it comes to moving into position for the inbound pass.

In my experience, I have come across many, many times where I felt I was the most reliable person to handle the rock from the inbound, whether that be in terms of making something happen at the other end or just flat out taking care of the ball. To be truthful, in those relatively rare moments where an unreliable ballhandler is trying to get at the inbound every time down, if he's really that bad, I'll undercut him and call for the rock from the guy passing the ball in. More times than not, inbounders know who the most reliable player is going to be. They'll pass to who they trust the most.

If I'm one of many reliable ballhandlers on a squad, I'll play it by ear. If one of my teammates has established himself as someone who's bringing the ball down court, I have no issue working off the ball. It usually works to my advantage in fact, for when I'm the initial ballhandler, I tend to pass first. Whereas, off the ball, I'm looking to catch and make a scoreable play. Again though, if a trusted ball handler begins making a number of questionable plays, I'd subtly try to take my turn at bringing the rock down court.

Regarding not seeing the ball on offense much (likely when someone else insists on bringing the ball down floor and possibly attempts to go one-on-one against his defender on every trip), one of the answers is in fact to work on other facets of the game. However, I also believe in continuing to work to get myself into good offensive positions, and then calling for the ball. It doesn't have to be brash or harsh, but if you are able to slice through and open yourself up at the free throw line, a loud enough "Ball!" will make it undeniably apparent that you are in fact open. In that case, if the ballhandler continues to eat the rock and shoot poor shots over double teams, it becomes clear he's doing so at the expense of passing to the open player.

Learning to shoot layups

Hey,

I know where you coming from, You like to bring the ball up because you like to have the ball in your hands. Ppl like this often are scared to cut and call for the ball because they don't feel as confident of other parts of their game . Honestly you kinda have to be arrogant if ppl are not passing you the ball. If your open say it loud and confident "Im Open" or if your cutting let him know that hes not finding you. In a sense your being a bad teammate but you gotta let him know that if he cant run the floor then he shouldn't be hogging the ball. Guarantee you do that you will see the ball on more occasions. Even if you miss your shots your teammates know your being aggressive.