Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
    GiveItToBurrito
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Default Re: Should Cavs Pick Derrick Williams over Kyrie Irving?

Quote Originally Posted by DStebb716
    Irving at number one, then convince Jazz to swap you 3-4 (add in another small piece) and land Williams.
    This. Irving is legit, he's athletic and he'll be one of the best shooters in the league from day one. He almost reminds me of a more athletic Curry (Eddy obviously). Plus, you don't want to let a lame duck guy like Baron Davis or a journeyman like Sessions affect your high lottery pick, it's totally best player available when you're as torn down as Cleveland.

Williams would be a good fit, but I'd only take him if I was certain he would be much better than Kanter or someone. I think anyone would work well in Cleveland, they really don't have any definite keepers on their roster.

Quote Originally Posted by PleezeBelieve
    Dude you're not winning championships with a 6'10 Center who plays below the rim.

Sh*t is so frustrating. Many of you have no idea what you're talking about.

Measuring in at 6’10 with shoes on and sporting a 7’1 wingspan...

his 260-pound frame afforded him a ton of success on the block. He’s not a great athlete by any standards, though he flashes some explosiveness from time to time, but uses his body as well as any player you’ll see on the high school level. He exceptionally good at using leverage, is extremely patient, won’t hesitate to initiate contact, and shows outstanding hands.
    http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Enes-Kanter-5168/

He's not a legit 7 footer, but he's 6'10" with a 7'1" wingspan. Not freakish length by any stretch of the imagination but that's plenty of size and length to be an effective back to the basket scorer. However, he also has the ability to step out and shoot the mid-range jumper so he's not just a back to the basket player. He's shown range out to the college three point line. And this is just rumors and speculation, but I have read that Kanter might be closer to 6'11" now, in shoes, meaning he might measure closer to 6'10" in socks.

The more I see and read on Kanter the more I picture a slightly taller Carlos Boozer. I don't think Kanter is a full-time NBA PF but I do think he probably has a better back to the basket game than Boozer, so he can log more minutes in the pivot instead of PF if need be.

Unless you have found a way to get your hands on full game tapes of Valanciunas' Euroleague games then we're both doing the same thing that RBA alluded to. We're just basing our feelings towards the two players off of online scouting reports from different websites and highlight clips.

Also (and I'm not saying you're wrong) but do you have a link or something to prove Valanciunas had a 37/19 game on Enes Kanter? Because when I Googled it I couldn't find it. I did run across this, though...

He was MVP of the U18 European Championship, even as he played against prospects a year older than him. In the semi-final game, he posted 32 points, 25 rebounds and two blocks in 39 minutes against the tournament champion Serbia team. The bronze medal game was even better. In 36 minutes, Kanter scored 35 points on 16/22 shooting. He also grabbed 19 rebounds, stole three balls and blocked four shots against the Lithuanian team and big man prospect named Jonas Valanciunas. His overall tournament statistics were 18.6 points, 16.4 rebounds, 1.3 assists and 1.8 blocks.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...et-enes-kanter

Quote Originally Posted by GiveItToBurrito
    This. Irving is legit, he's athletic and he'll be one of the best shooters in the league from day one. He almost reminds me of a more athletic Curry (Eddy obviously). Plus, you don't want to let a lame duck guy like Baron Davis or a journeyman like Sessions affect your high lottery pick, it's totally best player available when you're as torn down as Cleveland.

Williams would be a good fit, but I'd only take him if I was certain he would be much better than Kanter or someone. I think anyone would work well in Cleveland, they really don't have any definite keepers on their roster.
    I don't know why people don't realize that Williams is a TWEENER. A very good one, but a TWEENER nevertheless. He is kinda undersized for 4 and probably have no more than average quickness for a 3.

Irving is the clear cut number 1. When you have the best pure point guard prospect since Chris Paul, you have to take him even if your team has a solid rotation of BDiddy/Sessions.

Putting this in words, Irving will be starting from day one. You can't hinder the development of a possibly superstar by benching him because BDiddy is a "veteran."

Quote Originally Posted by Gundress
    Just saying that's all and just throw some idea if they're gettig a PG but the cavs already have a bunch of G, too many. they need a spot for SF.

I rather they go with this Derrick Williams over Kyrie Irving

for 4th I would pick Jonas Valanciunas or Enes Kanter

Cavs already got Baron Davis and Ramon Sessions
    First off, Derrick Williams is NOT a sure fire NBA SF. A quick Google search or reading his scouting profile on ESPN/DraftExpress will tell you as much. He's probably closer to an NBA PF than SF at this point.

The Cavs frontcourt rotation of Hickson/Varejao/Jamison/Hollins is much more solid at this point than the PG tandem of a 32 year old Baron Davis (who the Cavs have no interest in making a part of their future) and Ramon Sessions. You're clinically insane if you believe the Cavaliers are banking their future on a PG duo of Baron Davis and Ramon Sessions.

It should also be mentioned that the Cavs do have Antawn Jamison who can slide over and play SF.