Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

Default Bill Russell Vertical Leap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-f_gVh9h9Q

1:08 mark

"My vertical was I could get my eyes above the rim. When I jumped up straight I could get my eyes above the rim & I could touch the top of the backboard."

Default Re: Bill Russell Vertical Leap

That's cool and all, but no, he couldn't.

Banned

My Guestimate - 34"

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by PHILA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-f_gVh9h9Q

1:08 mark

"My vertical was I could get my eyes above the rim. When I jumped up straight I could get my eyes above the rim & I could touch the top of the backboard."
    good post, Abe, as usual

3-time NBA All-Star

Of course, just as in the case of Chamberlain, since we don't have video footage of him with his eyes above the rim, or touching the top of the backboard (in which other players have said that both Russell and Wilt could do that), the pundits will not accept it. And, once again, both he and Wilt were high jumpers, as well as multi-track stars.

Russell actually was a world-class high-jumper (ranked 7th in the world in 1956.) However, Wilt probably had an edge in actual height reached, since he was about 4-5 inches taller, and had a 92" wingspan. Russell obviously had better technique in the highjump, though.

Hopefully the NBA will release more vintage games, and perhaps we will get a better idea of just how accomplished these two great athletes were.

Regarding the 13 ft. level (the top of the backboard), Vince Carter's high was reportedly 12' 6" (as was Shaq's BTW.) I believe David Thompson and MJ were around that level, as well. I have not seen what Howard's has been, but he dunked on an 11' 6" rim (Chamberlain reportedly routinely dunked on a 12 ft rim.)

So we're supposed to believe, Russell could touch higher than Shaq, who at his pre draft measurements recorded a higher vertical than Wade's, Kobe's and Hardaway's...
    So, Shaq, who's had a higher vertical than all the wingmen he's played with, somehow couldn't touch higher than Russell. Though because Russell said it, we should believe it?

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    So we're supposed to believe, Russell could touch higher than Shaq, who at his pre draft measurements recorded a higher vertical than Wade's, Kobe's and Hardaway's...
    So, Shaq, who's had a higher vertical than all the wingmen he's played with, somehow couldn't touch higher than Russell. Though because Russell said it, we should believe it?
    How many high-jump titles did Shaq win in college, and where was he ranked in the world?

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    How many high-jump titles did Shaq win in college, and where was he ranked in the world?
    Let's have a look.

The high jump average has increased by over a foot since Shaq's day and Russell's...

So there goes that theory...

3-time NBA All-Star

Let's have a look.

The high jump average has increased by over a foot since Shaq's day and Russell's...

So there goes that theory...
    Russell and Wilt were long jumpers too. Since 1968 how much longer is the long jump record? 2" ...yes 2 ".

AND, give Wilt and Russell all the benefits of modern rechnology, training (technique), equipment (shoes and surface), nutrition, and medicine...and how much higher would they have jumped?

Russell and Wilt were long jumpers too. Since 1968 how much longer is the long jump record? 2" ...yes 2 ".

AND, give Wilt and Russell all the benefits of modern rechnology, training (technique), equipment (shoes and surface), nutrition, and medicine...and how much higher would they have jumped?
    We're not talking about that though.

From this thread, its saying Bill Russell in his day could reach higher than Shaq in his day. That's just false.

3-time NBA All-Star

There are numerous reports of Wilt dunking on a 12 ft rim...that was, not coincidently, set up by his coach during his tenure at Kansas. AND, the NCAA and NBA banned the dunking of FT's because Chamberlain was reportedly capable of accomplishing that feat with a start just inside the top half of the FT circle.

3-time NBA All-Star

We're not talking about that though.

From this thread, its saying Bill Russell in his day could reach higher than Shaq in his day. That's just false.
    Of course you KNOW that to be a FACT....

3-time NBA All-Star

Incidently, Wilt's college coach stated that had Chamberlain dedicated himself to the high-jump, that he would have probably cleared 7-0. Is that difficult to believe? Take a look at the footage that is available...Chamberlain's techinque was AWFUL. While most high-jumpers were getting a runnung start, Wilt would take 2-3 steps. Wilt was involved in WAY too many track events to excel and any one of them. He was a sprinter of the KU 4x100 team, he was a 440, 880, shot-putter, long jumper, triple jumper, and a champion high jumper. Some believed that he would have been an Olympic Decathalete. All of this while being the most dominant basketball player that college had ever seen.

Of course you KNOW that to be a FACT....
    I do.

Shaq is 7'1, Russell was 6'9. Let's say, for the sake of this argument, that since Shaq's highest touch was 9'5, Russell's would according be 9'1. Shaq with a 36 inch vertical jump could reach 12'5...
    So what you want me to believe is, Russell could essentially jump 48 inches?

So... that would put him with a higher vertical than, MJ, Vince Carter, Julius Erving, Dominique Wilkins, Spud Webb, Nate Robinson.

Am I missing something, or am I the only one that doesn't see the insane explosiveness as I did with the other players mentioned?

3-time NBA All-Star

I do.

Shaq is 7'1, Russell was 6'9. Let's say, for the sake of this argument, that since Shaq's highest touch was 9'5, Russell's would according be 9'1. Shaq with a 36 inch vertical jump could reach 12'5...
    So what you want me to believe is, Russell could essentially jump 48 inches?

So... that would put him with a higher vertical than, MJ, Vince Carter, Julius Erving, Dominique Wilkins, Spud Webb, Nate Robinson.

Am I missing something, or am I the only one that doesn't see the insane explosiveness as I did with the other players mentioned?
    NONE of those guys mentioned were high jump champs in college were they (or world ranked)? And PLEASE...Nate Robinson and Spud Webb outjumping Russell??? LOL!