Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Default Re: Video Game Collecting thread

I was beginning a small collection of snes games, but any snes game worth a damn is anywhere between $20-$200. Thinking of switching to the n64.

I have an NES and about 20 games. I've considered starting a SNES collection, because SNES is really the pinnacle of 2D gaming... but like the poster said above me, SNES games aren't cheap.

I was looking at SNES systems with box and they run around $250 in good condition. Some of the boxed games run $100-$200 as well.

NBA lottery pick

So I just picked up a snes with a bunch of games. The guy didn't list the games in the ad, just had a blurry photo. Based on what I could see I offered $140 and he took it. Once I picked the games I found one of the games I couldn't make out was Chrono Trigger. Label is worn, but still an awesome find.

The other games that came with it were:
    -Donkey Kong Country
    -Final Fantasy 3
    -Super Mario Allstars
    -Breath of Fire 2
    -The Lion King
    -Street Fighter 2
    -Mario Paint with the mouse
    -Power Rangers
    -Final Fight
    -few random sports games.

I may or may not have dropped a grand on a mint SNES and around 35 mint/near mint SNES games.

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    I may or may not have dropped a grand on a mint SNES and around 35 mint/near mint SNES games.
    do you live in Huntington beach? if so, theres this book store at the westminster mall that sells used snes games for 5 bucks or so each. not necessarily mint, but they all seem to work. at least, the ones i picked up a little while back. same with 64 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Levity
    do you live in Huntington beach? if so, theres this book store at the westminster mall that sells used snes games for 5 bucks or so each. not necessarily mint, but they all seem to work. at least, the ones i picked up a little while back. same with 64 games.

I do live in Huntington. I'm only looking for mint/near mint, complete in box (CIB) SNES games though. I've looked around for local shops that carry collector level stuff but they don't seem to exist. If found a place called VideoGameX off Gothard and Warner, but they only had one collectible SNES game (which I bought). Seems like Ebay is the way to go these days.

NBA lottery pick

You should post pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Kungfro
    You should post pics.

I will once I get them displayed. I've only received about 6 games so far, but most are coming this week. I'm also trying to decide how to display them. I bought 50 of these plastic cover thingies for the games, and I think I'm going to build an elevated shelf to display them. Not sure how I plan on storing/displaying the SNES, because I'd like to be able to play it from time to time, but I want to keep it clean too.

High School Varsity 6th Man MastaKilla's Avatar

I will once I get them displayed. I've only received about 6 games so far, but most are coming this week. I'm also trying to decide how to display them. I bought 50 of these plastic cover thingies for the games, and I think I'm going to build an elevated shelf to display them. Not sure how I plan on storing/displaying the SNES, because I'd like to be able to play it from time to time, but I want to keep it clean too.
    Do you buy doubles of each game so you have a copy to play or is this just for display.

Quote Originally Posted by MastaKilla
    Do you buy doubles of each game so you have a copy to play or is this just for display.

What I decided to do was buy a handheld SNES called the Supaboy. I can use it play my games mobile or I can plug into my TV and use it like a console. Pretty cool device actually. That way I can keep my collectible SNES boxed.

I've expanded my SNES collection to magazines. So far I've purchased Nintendo Power #'s 32-55 (1992/93 complete) in very good condition. I plan on getting every Nintendo Power from #28 to #90, which pretty much covers the entire life of the SNES.

NBA lottery pick

Heard of this sight recently that modifies old consoles and handhelds. Pricey, but I kinda want some of them.

http://www.rosecoloredgaming.com/

Dont H8 the Laker H8er glidedrxlr22's Avatar

I've expanded my SNES collection to magazines. So far I've purchased Nintendo Power #'s 32-55 (1992/93 complete) in very good condition. I plan on getting every Nintendo Power from #28 to #90, which pretty much covers the entire life of the SNES.
    I have EGM #1 as well as a bunch of other late 80s early 90s gaming mags. I have some Nintendo Power issues too. They're all just collecting dust in a box.

It's strange. Over the past few days almost every popular, complete SNES game has disappeared from Ebay, and the prices of those remaining have skyrocketed. I'm not sure if someone is trying to corner the market or what, but it's placed a hold on my purchasing for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by glidedrxlr22
    I have EGM #1 as well as a bunch of other late 80s early 90s gaming mags. I have some Nintendo Power issues too. They're all just collecting dust in a box.

That's cool. I now have Nintendo Power complete years 1992, 1993, 1995, and 1996. I just need to get 1994 and a few misc from 1991 and 1997.