Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Default Re: I thught Chigaco was a horrible team with out Rose?

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    LOL, so holding a player down to 24% in the final two games, while carrying an inferior inexperienced team against a championship team to a seven game series and you saying Rondo outplayed him. Nobody in their right mind is going to say Rondo was close to Rose that year. Rose completely dominated him on top of that. Yes, at the level it wasn't considered close. Rose, when guarding him holds him down to some incredible embarrassing numbers - I mentioned three games in which he shot like 21% and averaged 6ppg in those games. And on offense Rondo has real big problems with containing Rose. Rose has three games where he shot like 60% and averaged 38ppg in those games. And this is from a sample size of less than 20 games and Rondo having a couple more years of experience.

Don't take one thing I say and say a bunch of bullshit. I never said that. And seriously, don't try and quote me and say that I did. I said that Rondo was better in the playoffs. And the point of my comment was that that WAS the only season where Rose has played better than Rondo. So, I'm most certainly understanding that Rose was better than Rondo that season.

In fact, Rose had a better regular season that year than Rondo has ever had (easy, as that was Rondo's best season).

Sometimes, you can't take the way someone plays in the playoffs as the absolute example of who is the better player. But Rondo does it every year. Look at the way he played against the Bulls in 08/09, averaging a monstrous triple-double and playing crazy defense, along with the way he played in the series that as lost to Orlando, and the way he played throughout the 2010 playoffs, and the way he played last year.

Rose has one season. If you want to see that one season as clear proof that Rose has more than Rondo, that's fine. I respect that. But it's hard to justify calling Rose the better player on the basis of that one season. It's the truth.

Samurai Swoosh

Quote Originally Posted by knickswin
    I think Rose is very good but overrated. part of it is that he's a hero in chicago. there probably isn't an athlete in the country who's as loved by his city as derrick rose.
    This is all true, but I wouldn't consider Rose overrated. He DOMINATED in 2011 and even parts of 2012 when healthy, especially against elite contemporaries at his position in mono y mono matchups, he turned up the juice and destroyed the likes of: CP3, Deron, Rondo, Tony Parker, etc. Rose really gets up for the big opponents. He even plays defense on an elite level v.s. those guys. He just slacks off and gets bored with average players, that's why Teague had so many good games v.s. him in the 2011 playoffs.

But when he's motivated, Rose actually is quite the defender. And his leaping ability has shown him to make GAME SAVING blocks on straight up jumpers. The guy is only 6 feet tall, and I've seen him block people's jumpers straight up who are 3 - 4 inches taller.

There is a pic I had of the Christmas Day game last year where Rose is about to get his finger tips on a Kobe jump shot, straight up. And you can see the dramatic difference in leap. All this and Rose really isn't someone built like Rondo w/ long arms and big hands. He actually has pretty stubby arms for a bball player. Pretty impressive the things he does athletically. Not to mention, Rose is flat out CLUTCH.

I don't think he's a smart guy by any means, but for the most part he makes solid basketball plays. And I consider him to be a better player than all the guys like: Deron, Westbrook, Tony Parker ... all with the exceptions of CP3 and Rondo because they bring a versatility and dominance to the game without having to be scorers.

You make it sound like Rose bball IQ is worse than Westbrook. Rose is much more coachable, better attitude, and a way better feel for the game. When to shoot, when to pass, and when to take over down the stretch. Westbrook makes bone head plays out of emotion on the regular. That's why Westbrook is such a crappy PG.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Whoah10115
    Don't take one thing I say and say a bunch of bullshit. I never said that. And seriously, don't try and quote me and say that I did. I said that Rondo was better in the playoffs. And the point of my comment was that that WAS the only season where Rose has played better than Rondo. So, I'm most certainly understanding that Rose was better than Rondo that season.
    Ohh ok, so he was better until he ran into Rose and Rose put the "D" on him crunch time in the playoffs. Is that better? Now, we're both happy???

Sometimes, you can't take the way someone plays in the playoffs as the absolute example of who is the better player. But Rondo does it every year. Look at the way he played against the Bulls in 08/09, averaging a monstrous triple-double and playing crazy defense, along with the way he played in the series that as lost to Orlando, and the way he played throughout the 2010 playoffs, and the way he played last year.
    I think Rondo's a great player - no problem there. Rose obviously was dominating Rondo in his second year, he probably wasn't really better than Rondo just yet but he was a good jump shot away. Rose came back with a jump shot and also had the game's best tear drop along with being a premier penetrator in his MVP campaign. The year after the MVP he showed he improved his passing capabilities and didn't loose what he progressed with the year before. So unless Rondo really improved he can't be said to be better.
    Rose has one season. If you want to see that one season as clear proof that Rose has more than Rondo, that's fine. I respect that. But it's hard to justify calling Rose the better player on the basis of that one season. It's the truth.
    If Rose's game regressed the next year you have a point, but it didn't. It improved a bit but he was playing hurt. Rose's best quality is that he improves in some way every year he's in the league. That's what's so respected about him. His work ethic is top notch and you can see where he improved his game year by year.

Ohh ok, so he was better until he ran into Rose and Rose put the "D" on him crunch time in the playoffs. Is that better? Now, we're both happy???

WTF are you talking about, I'm literally agreeing with you that Rose was better and you try to condescend to my agreement as if I'm arguing otherwise? Read one more time. Rose was better than Rondo that season. So you have no need to try and sharpshoot something I did not say.

Also, WTF are you talking about? When did Rose put the clamps on Rondo in the playoffs? They didn't meet in the playoffs.

They met in the playoffs when Rose was a rookie. Rose was super impressive. Rondo had the best series anyone had in the playoffs that year. So he most certainly didn't dominate Rondo. Rose outscored Rondo by 0.3 PPG. Rondo did everything better.

I think Rondo's a great player - no problem there. Rose obviously was dominating Rondo in his second year, he probably wasn't really better than Rondo just yet but he was a good jump shot away. Rose came back with a jump shot and also had the game's best tear drop along with being a premier penetrator in his MVP campaign. The year after the MVP he showed he improved his passing capabilities and didn't loose what he progressed with the year before. So unless Rondo really improved he can't be said to be better.

If Rose's game regressed the next year you have a point, but it didn't. It improved a bit but he was playing hurt. Rose's best quality is that he improves in some way every year he's in the league. That's what's so respected about him. His work ethic is top notch and you can see where he improved his game year by year.

I agree on Rose's best quality. But I still don't get what you're saying.

Rondo's game is about the plays he makes on defense, helping, playing the passing lanes, rebounding, making high-impact plays on offense, making plays for others. Rose doesn't dominate him. What you can say is that he's been the better player, head-to-head, if you think that. But Rondo doesn't get dominated. Rose doesn't bother him on defense, he doesn't force turnovers.

The career head-to-head (in the regular season) is 6-6. It was 2-1 in Rose's rookie season and 4-5 since. 2-2 in Rose's second season. 2-2 in Rose's MVP year. 1-0 last year, in Rose's favor.

Rose scores 10 more a game than Rondo.

Rondo more than doubles his assists, outrebounds him, and has 8 times as many steals.

Seriously? Rose is a GREAT player and they would definitely be 1st seed with him.

People forget too quickly.

Rip+Rose=Ripping Rose Clocian-IGN's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DirkNowitzki41
    Seriously? Rose is a GREAT player and they would definitely be 1st seed with him.

People forget too quickly.
    yup

Chicago has always had some really legit pieces, Noah is one of the best C in the game, in an area which matters too come playoff time which is defense and hustle. Boozer is a legit pick and roll C who can shoot the j. Deng is a legit 2, 3 and small 4 defender (aka Lebron/Kobe/Melo) and you have a great defensive coach in Thibs to put it all together. Add in Rose and you have a perennial powerhouse once healthy.

I rule the local playground nnn123's Avatar

Not going to read the entire thread, but...

How can someone possibly make a thread like this after seeing what went down in the playoffs last year? Lose to the 8th seed Sixers w/o Rose? Seriously?

SMH @ people on these boards constantly overrating regular season records like they mean a damn thing

Maybe Rose wasn't among the great MVP award winners but he is/was a great player. He'd be top 5 right now if he had never gotten hurt.

i just realized the misspelling of "chicago" wasnt actually a typo, but the OP actually thinking its pronounced "chi-ga-co"

Rip+Rose=Ripping Rose Clocian-IGN's Avatar

bump. check out tonights game