Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default I want the Raptors to draft Bargnani!!!

After watching numerous clips/mixes of Bargnani I have come to a conclusion that the Raptors should most definately draft Bargnani... I know we don't have a problem in the scoring department, but I really believe he could be a future perennial All-Star... His jumpshot is silky smooth, he has amazing speed for a player his size (faster than Nowitzki) and he just seems to understand the game... he has gained weight in the past year, before he used to be faster but skinnier, but in the past year he has gained atleast 15-20 lbs. from what I have seen... his upper body is built... his defence, well I have not seen much to comment on that, but once he understands the NBA, I think he could be a very solid defensive player... I am currently thinking of drafting him and signing Pryzbilla, Stevenson/Ariza, Garbajosa (if he comes) and bringing over Roko Ukic... I think this would give us a solid off-season... I think in the long run, Bargnani can become our Center, he's no prime Shaq or Howard on defense but honestly, how many good C's are there? I think he can be a guy who gives us 1+ blks a game and plays defense as good as J. Collins... At this point I would use him as the first guy off the bench...

C: Pryzbilla/Bargnani/Sow
    PF: Bosh/Bargnani/Bonner/Garbajosa/Humphries
    SF:Charlie Villanueva/Joey Graham/Eric Williams
    SG: Morris Peterson/(either Ariza or Stevenson)/Roko Ukic
    PG: Jose Calderon/Roko Ukic/ Andre Barrett

cut Alvin for cap space... The only weakness I see is we still don't have a PG... but I think we can sign one like a Speedy Claxton or dare I say it, Mike James back??? That is the only position I am a little shaky about, the rest I am pretty confident that it will work out... Your Thoughts??? hate it or love it, I will support the drafting of Bargnani...

Decent college freshman Dr.Funk's Avatar

I know Bargnani is ultra talented but this team has needs and he doesn't address any of them.

Great college starter craigthomasb's Avatar

if the raps could trade #1 to boston for #7 and kendrick perkins it would be perfect for us

however if we draft bargnani that is probably what will happen (loaded up front, thin at the back)

i really do ot want bargnani

Decent college freshman Dr.Funk's Avatar

This team needs defense. Rudy Gay is our man.

no-one read what I wrote, everyone just responded to the thread title...

Question

i read what you wrote bman, and i gotta tell you...

WE WILL NOT SIGN JOEL PRZYBILLA!!!

the key to successful, deep teams is not to overspend on mediocre players.
    joel is decent, but will command more $$$ than his production warrants. i'd rather play small ball with players who can do a bit of everything, than have 1 guy on the court who does nothing but rebound and block shots. joel will be looking for around 8-10 mill starting... thats 1/5th of our payroll... all for joel?

nahhhh... unless we can S&T somehow, we gotta stay away from giving large amounts of cash to an average bigman.

as for bargnani... yea, he looks good, has the body, has the size, has the skills, and has played serious minutes in a serious league in europe... i wouldn't mind drafting this guy.

owwwww

You shouldn't form such a strong opinion after just watching mixes. I could make X player look like a legend by compiling their best highlights. I don't know, I just don't want us to take a risk like this and waste a valuable #1. I'd rather take a safer pick in Alridge.

Saw a basketball once

Default I agree Bargnani would be a good pick

I agree with you. If they could trade down to number three and get someone (knight?) as well that would be great.

I think the Raptors have a few good options - draft a player with star potential at #1 - Aldridge, Bargnani, or Gay, draft down and get one of those guys plus someone else, or trade away the pick for someone (Gasol?). As long as they don't draft Morrison - which I am pretty sure they won't - I will be happy. The Raptors play horrible D so the last thing they need is Morrison - a guy who will get 15 - 18 ppg who plays no defense. If they wanted that they could keep James. There are a lot of guys in the league who can average 15ppg and play no defense - using a #1 pick on one would be a big mistake.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore SirPresident's Avatar

The more i see/hear about him the more i want him, that said i would still rather have Gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal9
    You shouldn't form such a strong opinion after just watching mixes. I could make X player look like a legend by compiling their best highlights. I don't know, I just don't want us to take a risk like this and waste a valuable #1. I'd rather take a safer pick in Alridge.
    Well I know what you mean... but think about it this way, in the mixes, offensely the guy has no problem, its his defense that needs work, which seeing his speed and skill set, he should be able to adapt...

Who Dat? Geaux Saints! Pistol Pete's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brwnman
    Well I know what you mean... but think about it this way, in the mixes, offensely the guy has no problem, its his defense that needs work, which seeing his speed and skill set, he should be able to adapt...
    Speed and Skill does not make a good defender, otherwise Joey Graham would be looking like the next Ron Artest. It takes much more then athleticism to play great defense, you have to be always aware, you have to communicate, you have to know how to do it, just because you can run fast and jump high does not mean you can become a good defender.

Now, that doesn't mean Andrea Bargnani cannot become a good defender, simply put, I hope you don't base everything the kid can do off a few highlight tapes off youtube. It will take watching many full games to decide whether or not he can become a good defender.

As for the pick, his potential talent is amazing, I'm not sure he fills the need.

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol Pete

As for the pick, his potential talent is amazing, I'm not sure he fills the need.

our needs may change in the new NBA. with offensive teams leading the way, toronto could be a major force. if we can somehow pick up a PG, as well as drafting bargnani, that would essentially eliminate both holes. bosh, villa, bargnani... 3 headed monster on offense, three 6'11+ guys on defense. toronto could live with that.

NBA Superstar

if we could get przy and bargs then i'd do it right away.

that would be the ultimate frontcourt.

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
    Speed and Skill does not make a good defender, otherwise Joey Graham would be looking like the next Ron Artest. It takes much more then athleticism to play great defense, you have to be always aware, you have to communicate, you have to know how to do it, just because you can run fast and jump high does not mean you can become a good defender.

Now, that doesn't mean Andrea Bargnani cannot become a good defender, simply put, I hope you don't base everything the kid can do off a few highlight tapes off youtube. It will take watching many full games to decide whether or not he can become a good defender.

Very true, but about Joey Graham, he ain't really that fast, and decent athleticism, nothing over the top... the only reason he got hyped about it was the draft workouts, but he ain't that good...

As I said, that I don't expect Bargnani to become a good defender right away, but to me he has a good chance too... just look at Dirk Nowitzki... when he came into the league, he struggled defensively... and even when he was a star offensively, he still struggled... but because of his desire and Avery Johnson, the guy has become a solid defender... nothing to write home about, but still a solid defender...

I do expect Bargnani to fill out more and eventually play Center for us in maybe like 3-4 years...

Who Dat? Geaux Saints! Pistol Pete's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleTech
    our needs may change in the new NBA. with offensive teams leading the way, toronto could be a major force. if we can somehow pick up a PG, as well as drafting bargnani, that would essentially eliminate both holes. bosh, villa, bargnani... 3 headed monster on offense, three 6'11+ guys on defense. toronto could live with that.
    I don't really believe that offensive teams are leading the way, only one true offensive team is even sniffing at success and that's the Phoenix Suns, whom also have the best point guard in the world. Every other team that went deep in the playoffs - Dallas, Miami, Detroit, San Antonio - They all play solid defense and are able to lock down opponents for stretches of time.

By drafting Bargnani, I believe that you get a three headed monster in two ways. Offensively, the trio is as good as they come, when they develop together, assuming Bargnani is the real deal, they present so many matchup problems, it would give other teams fits. Toronto would clearly be a huge offensive weapon.

However, another monster, is the defense. Currently we struggle guarding not only opposing centers, but also their power forwards. Now, adding Bargnani does not help this matter, he, from all that has been described, which I know you cannot trust that solely, is another soft big man comparable to someone like Bosh. I think we would have major troubles defending the opposition, and it would take a serious offensive effort to win every night. If that eventually did happen, like we've seen in these playoffs, that the defense will eventually win out.

I am not going to say I'm an expert, because I'm clearly not, but personally I would rather for the convential pick in LaMarcus Aldridge, he won the defensive player of the year for his respective conference. He has the ability to play center just like Bargnani does, he also wants to play in Toronto and is good friends with our best player Chris Bosh. He warrants the pick, and is a great fit. A frontline of Villaneuva, Bosh and Aldridge is just as good, if not a better fit for Toronto for the next 10 years.

Anyways, would love to get some input on my thoughts, so feel free to criticize, always up for some lively discussion.