Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Some of the most Overrated Recruits Of All-Time

Gerald Green wasn't overrated.

Based on talent he should've been a #1 recruit. Those rankings dont account for basketball IQ.

I found a guy commenting on the article said it was about this!

For example, the magazine profiled Schea Cotton, the once-upon-a-time prep phenom who was hyped by Sports Illustrated as a 15-year 0ld. These days, Cotton coaches a high school team in California, having never played in the NBA. The story gives you the facts and a few quotes, but never delves into the depths of Cotton

Jerod Ward and Schea Cotton were good ones.

How about Ousmane Cisse? He was in that same class as Chandler, Curry, and Kwame Brown. Looking back on it, his whole situation was very weird. He was hyped as this 6'9 manchild with amazing athletic gifts. He was injured for the postseason all-star games so I never got to see him play. Declared for the draft then was never heard from again. It was almost like he wasn't even a real person, if that makes sense.

Marvin Stone is another one. He was generally considered a top 10 player in his class. I actually saw him play against a small school from southern Illinois who's tallest guy was 6'5 and he looked absolutely horrible. I couldn't believe he was ranked as high as he was.

You could throw Lester Earl and Jaron Rush in there as well. They're also the players I usually bring up when people try to tell me that Roy Williams is squeaky clean in his recruiting tactics.

Injuries messed him up but Jason Fraser at Villanova.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Munson
    Jerod Ward and Schea Cotton were good ones.

How about Ousmane Cisse? He was in that same class as Chandler, Curry, and Kwame Brown. Looking back on it, his whole situation was very weird. He was hyped as this 6'9 manchild with amazing athletic gifts. He was injured for the postseason all-star games so I never got to see him play. Declared for the draft then was never heard from again. It was almost like he wasn't even a real person, if that makes sense.

Marvin Stone is another one. He was generally considered a top 10 player in his class. I actually saw him play against a small school from southern Illinois who's tallest guy was 6'5 and he looked absolutely horrible. I couldn't believe he was ranked as high as he was.

You could throw Lester Earl and Jaron Rush in there as well. They're also the players I usually bring up when people try to tell me that Roy Williams is squeaky clean in his recruiting tactics.
    Marvin Stone died right? I might be wrong though. Or it may have been a different one.

Rush had drinking problems. It wasnt until a few years ago I heard about the story of when he was with Seattle and screwed his career at a team hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowe
    Marvin Stone died right? I might be wrong though. Or it may have been a different one.

Rush had drinking problems. It wasnt until a few years ago I heard about the story of when he was with Seattle and screwed his career at a team hotel.
    Yes, Stone died a few years ago. I had actually completely forgot about that until you mentioned it.

I was aware of Rush's drinking problems, but I'm not sure if I have the Seattle story straight. Is he the one that basically drank through his stay there and missed his workouts? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Just thought of another one. Jason Parker. He had trouble getting into UNC and I have no idea what happened to him afterward.

a lot of duke players

Dunking on everybody in the park Court Vision's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rowe
    The #1 guy for me has to be Elijah Ingram.

Does anybody remember him?

The hype he received you would've thought he would've been a 1 & Done.
    He wasn't THAT hyped. He was ranked around 25th if I remember correctly, and Foye probably should have been given the McD's AA nod over him. If he didn't play for St. Anthony's, he probably wouldn't have been an AA.

I rule the local playground ukfan22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Munson
    Just thought of another one. Jason Parker. He had trouble getting into UNC and I have no idea what happened to him afterward.
    He went to Kentucky, and was actually pretty damn good as a freshman. Before Midnight Madness the following year, he blew out his knee messing around in the locker room. Disciplinary problems followed and he never made it back to the court. Parker's injury was the catalyst for an extremely disappointing season for UK in 2001-02. They had a TON of talent, but ended up known as Team Turmoil.

Decent college freshman TheGame414's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ukfan22
    He went to Kentucky, and was actually pretty damn good as a freshman. Before Midnight Madness the following year, he blew out his knee messing around in the locker room. Disciplinary problems followed and he never made it back to the court. Parker's injury was the catalyst for an extremely disappointing season for UK in 2001-02. They had a TON of talent, but ended up known as Team Turmoil.
    That Kentucky season did produce one of my favorite random moments ever, Tayshaun's five straight threes to start the game against UNC, with the last one being from about 35 feet out. That's gotta be about the loudest a college arena can be four minutes into a game.

EvilDooinz

Rick Rickert

Quote Originally Posted by TheGame414
    That Kentucky season did produce one of my favorite random moments ever, Tayshaun's five straight threes to start the game against UNC, with the last one being from about 35 feet out. That's gotta be about the loudest a college arena can be four minutes into a game.
    Dude I completely forgot about that!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ_8z9Zizek

I rule the local playground ukfan22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheGame414
    Yeah, but that was about the only thing good that happened. That team had, on one roster:
    Tayshaun Prince
    Keith Bogans
    Gerald Fitch
    Cliff Hawkins
    Chuck Hayes
    Erik Daniels
    Marvin Stone
    Jason Parker
    Rashaad Carruth (Freshman McD's All American)
    Marquis Estill

Most of those guys already were, or went on to become good to great college players. They ended up with 12 losses and a Sweet 16 loss to eventual champ Maryland, and I remember watching the game thinking they weren't even trying to win. One of the biggest wastes of talent in recent college basketball history, IMO.

Decent college freshman TheGame414's Avatar

Illinois had a similar year in 2001-02...we were ranked No. 1 in the nation going into the year by the Sporting News somewhere between 2 and 5 by everyone else (I don't think too many people had us lower than No. 3, really).

The loss of Sergio McClain and Marcus Griffin from the previous season was way underestimated, and injuries piled up: Lucas Johnson was out for most of the year, Damir Krupalijia was out about half the year, and Frank Williams played through more pain than anyone realized. Robert Archibald did, too, but everyone knew he was banged up. They finished 26-9 and went to the Sweet 16, and were a Final Four-caliber team by tournaemnt time. But the injuries piled up and if they hadn't spent too much of January and February with their heads up their asses, they wouldn't have been stuck with a No. 4 seed and a regional semifinal match with Kansas.

So at least you're not alone in having championship asipriations leaving you disappointed in that particular season.

There's a terrific book about college basketball called "The Men of March" that I highly recommend. The author (I wanna say his name is Brian Curtis but I'm too lazy to look it up) interviewed hundreds of coaches and spent time around dozens of programs in the 2001-2002 season, but focused most of his time profiling Bill Self at Illinois, Steve Alford at Iowa, Steve Lavin at UCLA and Mike Brey at Notre Dame.

Incidentally, all of those programs except ND started the year as legit Final Four contenders and all had disappointing seasons (to varying degrees, at least; Illinois still ended up with a really good year, whereas Iowa completely collapsed, with UCLA somewhere in the middle with a terrible regular season followed by a strong NCAA tourney run).
    Last edited by TheGame414; 08-29-2010 at 10:21 PM.