Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: The Top 10 Claims Made by Creationists to Counter Scientific Theories

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
    he is pointing out that some denoms take certain books as symbolic and not literal...

My point isnt that every denomination takes every thing literal...

my point is that WHATEVER your denomination's take is? You have to accept it if you are to be a real christian (in their eyes)...

alot of christians cherry pick what they believe and what they don't within their own denomination....

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

Default Re: The Top 10 Claims Made by Creationists to Counter Scientific Theories

Quote Originally Posted by Rasheed1
    [COLOR="Red"]My point isnt that every denomination takes every thing literal...[/COLOR]

my point is that WHATEVER your denomination's take is? You have to accept it if you are to be a real christian (in their eyes)...

alot of christians cherry pick what they believe and what they don't within their own denomination....
    certainly seemed that way earlier in this thread...
    Serious REAL christians believe the bible literally...

certainly seemed that way earlier in this thread...
    Thats why I initially asked you specifically what denomination YOU were.....

so we could look at from whatever angle you were coming from...

Thats why I initially asked you specifically what denomination YOU were.....

so we could look at from whatever angle you were coming from...
    the angle from a man who knows "real" Christians that don't take it all literal...that some of it was intended to be symbolic

the angle from a man who knows "real" Christians that don't take it all literal...that some of it was intended to be symbolic

Yup, even when their own priest preach it to these real christians every Sunday..

This is why the Catholic church preaches against abortion, but 90% of catholics believe in some form of it...

because they are the real christians ... Not the Pope... Not the leaders of the churches they go to every week..

that's real American christianity in all its lazy conveinence

Its alot like Nick Young said...

Sheed, I ain't buying your "subscribe fully or don't subscribe at all theory," although I respect it. I was raised in a very Christian household (admittedly, I don't have the strongest faith in the world) that never really put much stock into the Old Testament. We call ourselves "Christians," or "followers of Christ." I can't speak from every Christian, but I personally don't care about apples and floods, because that's not what we signed up for. Read the Nicene creed. It doesn't say anything about believing in the stories from the Old Testament. We believe in God, he had a son, he came down, died, resurrected, and destroyed Original Sin in the process. We believe in treating others like you would treat yourself. You rip on "fake Christians," but then two seconds later, you rip on the Christians that don't think gays should be together, or the ones that say birth control is evil. You really think that every "real" Christian should think that way? The world would be a worse place if that's what you really think should be the case.

Banned

that is such a BS site lol

in other news on that site

Catholic Church Values Discrimination More Than Unwanted Kids!!! EEEKKK
    Typical Primetime. You give him the proof he asks for, he continues to argue just to argue... Here's the original University of Texas Study:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/static.texas...l3-summary.pdf

30% is a much larger number than <1%, could you at least admit that? And this is just Texas alone.

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    Typical Primetime. You give him the proof he asks for, he continues to argue just to argue... Here's the original University of Texas Study:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/static.texas...l3-summary.pdf

30% is a much larger number than <1%, could you at least admit that? And this is just Texas alone.
    eh...I live in Texas an NO ONE I know believes that, so it is hard for me to take that thing seriously

I'll say this after looking at the questions, the way it was asked THIS:

Please tell us whether you agree or disagree with the following statement: "The earliest humans lived at the same time as the dinosaurs.

30% Agree
    41% Disagree
    30% Don’t Know
    that comes off as though it has nothing to do with religion and more just to do with the fact that many idiots out there think cave men and dinos coexisted...

Quote Originally Posted by rezznor
    yes, that's exactly how i learned the bible as a child (In Texas). It was a collection of stories to teach one how to live a good life, not everything was meant to be taken literally.
    Exactly, the bible is a great book when used properly.

National High School Star lakers_forever's Avatar

P.Diddy, don't waist your time. Rasheed is one of those atheist bigots who claim only fundamentalists are real christians. They do that because they actually disprove creationists claims with science. And they want to creat this false dicotomy that you can't be a christian and believe in Evolution at the same time when Darwin himself said: " "It seems to me absurd to doubt that a man may be an ardent theist & an evolutionist."

I think you misunderstand what I'm saying... It doesnt matter what denomination you happen to be...

Each denomination expects its followers to believe their WHOLE philosophy. If you are a catholic, and don't literally believe in the catholic bible? The catholics who do will object to your beliefs.... The religious officials will also... you probably wont get excommunicated over it, but your belief system does not jibe with the doctrine of the church..

You don't know anything about what you are talking about. The catholic church itself teaches not to take everything in the Bible literally. The church never condemned evolution and the big band theory. They have said on paper since the 50's that you can "believe" in evolution and still be a christian.
    Those guys don't understand that creationism is actually recent in christian history. It only started with real force in the 19th century, because some felt threatned by science. In the 4th century, Augustine of Hippo was already saying not to take genesis Literally, but in an allegorical interpretation.

And this creationist thing is mostly an american thing. Catholic schools all over the world teach evolution in science classes. But according to Rasheed's criteria, I guess the more than one billion catholics in the world are not really christians.

Quote Originally Posted by code green
    Sheed, I ain't buying your "subscribe fully or don't subscribe at all theory," although I respect it. I was raised in a very Christian household (admittedly, I don't have the strongest faith in the world) that never really put much stock into the Old Testament. We call ourselves "Christians," or "followers of Christ." I can't speak from every Christian, but I personally don't care about apples and floods, because that's not what we signed up for. Read the Nicene creed. It doesn't say anything about believing in the stories from the Old Testament. We believe in God, he had a son, he came down, died, resurrected, and destroyed Original Sin in the process. We believe in treating others like you would treat yourself. You rip on "fake Christians," but then two seconds later, you rip on the Christians that don't think gays should be together, or the ones that say birth control is evil. You really think that every "real" Christian should think that way? The world would be a worse place if that's what you really think should be the case.
    Im not personally judging christians.. I'm saying that the christians who adhere very closely to the tenets of their denomination or sect are the REAL christians because they take it very seriously.. When you see muslims, whatever their sect, they take it with the upmost seriousness (most of them)... You have alot of black guys who say they are muslim, but they still drink and chase women, eat pork... The Muslims that take their religion seriously look down on that..

The christians who just casually go to church or only believe parts of their book, they can say, "Yeah Imma christian, I believe in Jesus... I took my sacraments" but the people who believe in the intricacies of the passion, and stations of the cross would disagree.

I dont personally believe in any of it anymore..but I am very familiar with the casual attitude alot of christians have towards being a christian

Quote Originally Posted by lakers_forever
    P.Diddy, don't waist your time. Rasheed is one of those atheist bigots who claim only fundamentalists are real christians. They do that because they actually disprove creationists claims with science. And they want to creat this false dicotomy that you can't be a christian and believe in Evolution at the same time when Darwin himself said: " "It seems to me absurd to doubt that a man may be an ardent theist & an evolutionist."
    I never said any of that nice try tho..

You don't know anything about what you are talking about. The catholic church itself teaches not to take everything in the Bible literally. The church never condemned evolution and the big band theory. They have said on paper since the 50's that you can "believe" in evolution and still be a christian.
    I was a catholic matter of fact I was an alter boy...I know that catholic take the Bible very literally... They even have additional aspects that they expect people to take seriously like Saints and rosary beads and all kinds of stuff...

They take their sacraments very literal...

And this creationist thing is mostly an american thing. Catholic schools all over the world teach evolution in science classes. But according to Rasheed's criteria, I guess the more than one billion catholics in the world are not really christians.
    The Pope is your leader? Right? What's the church's position on abortion?

Banned

eh...I live in Texas an NO ONE I know believes that, so it is hard for me to take that thing seriously
    Yeah, lucky thing the survey was a statewide endeavor and not the 'people P.Tiddy knows' survey. The numbers might've been a bit skewed that way

I'll say this after looking at the questions, the way it was asked THIS:

that comes off as though it has nothing to do with religion and more just to do with the fact that many idiots out there think cave men and dinos coexisted...
    Those 'idiots' (your term not mine) think that cavemen and dinosaurs existed because they think that the Earth is only 6-10,000 years old and that the dinosaurs died during Noah's ark expedition because they believe the nonsense in Genesis.

Again, you asked for the proof, I provided it to you. It's done. Just admit you were wrong and move on. Plenty of other subjects you can ignorantly argue about.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    To all christians in this thread

Jesus was a cool guy, he taught the same shit Siddhartha Gautama, Plato and Confuscious taught.

But Christianity is a religion created 300 years after Jesus died by Roman marketing execs. They rewrote the bible adding parts, and taking out parts they didn't like. They manufactured Christianity to be a religion with the most mass appeal of any religion and reach all subjects in the roman empire. The "christian" holidays today are actually druidic and celtic holidays mostly. JESUS WAS NOT BORN ON DECEMBER 25TH SO WHY DO YOU CELEBRATE THAT DAY AS THE DAY OF HIS BIRTH WHEN ALL HISTORY AND THE BIBLE ITSELF PROVES THAT JESUS WASNT BORN DECEMBER 25TH!

IN OTHER WORDS

The religion christians follow today is not the religion of jesus, but the religion manufactured by a bunch of old roman men. It is really sad so many people have such blind belief in a religion that history tells us is manufactured bullshit.

Christianity was not created 300 years after Christ. You have absolutely no knowledge whatsover of history. The fist gospels were written decades after Jesus death. And he had followers since his death. Nero persecuted christians in 64 ad, but somehow Christianity only began to exist 200 years later?
    300 years after Christ the persecution of Christians stopped in Rome because of the Edict of Milan.

Every christian scholar and anyone christian who serious study knows that Jesus wasn't born in December 25th.

Will you pull Zeitgeist and Religulous bs (denied by all historians) next about how Jesus was a copy of Horus?

I was a catholic matter of fact I was an alter boy...I know that catholic take the Bible very literally... They even have additional aspects that they expect people to take seriously like Saints and rosary beads and all kinds of stuff...

They take their sacraments very literal...

The Pope is your leader? Right? What's the church's position on abortion?
    Since you were a catholic, does the church take Genesis literally? If they don't, you were lying (our just ignorant) when you said catholics take the whole bible literally.

The Church is against abortion. There's a great philosophical debate if abortion is morally right or not. And why is that? Because science itself can't tell when life really begins. There are atheists against abortion as well. Even atheists groups on the matter.