Default Tyus Jones and Jahlil Okafor

The #1 and #5 players in the '14 class. Where do you guys think they end up? They've confirmed they are a a package deal, and they've narrowed it down to Duke, KU, and Baylor...

Banned

Default Re: Tyus Jones and Jahlil Okafor

Damn, was hoping they'd come to Ohio State. At least we still have a chance at Myles Turner. Anyway, they'll probably end up at Kentucky or surprise us and pick Baylor. Not feeling Duke.

Learning to shoot layups Baliod's Avatar

Would love to see them go to Baylor, but I think they are leaning towards Duke. Up and comer vs established program with legendary coach

Hope I'm wrong, but it's either both at duke or Tyus to duke and Okafor to KU. I am all but certain Jones ends up at duke, unless something weird happens behind the scenes. There's a reason why MSU and UK stopped recruiting him.

I'm not sold on Okafor. I think Jones is the best offensive PG since CP3.

^^

you are right. Okafor is raw, and Jones is gonna be amazing from the get go. KU is known for developing big men, and Duke is known as a great school for PG's - so I think if Okafor and his camp are the leading force in the decision, they end up at KU. If it's Jones and his camp, Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade8780
    Damn, was hoping they'd come to Ohio State. At least we still have a chance at Myles Turner. Anyway, they'll probably end up at Kentucky or surprise us and pick Baylor. Not feeling Duke.

UK is not in the race. Duke is where most think they'll end up, with KU as a strong contender and Baylor as a unlikely dark horse. But I could see Baylor being a bigger contender than people thought, especially 'cause KU and Duke both have senior PG's who obviously won't start over Jones, but will get a significant amount of playing time.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I seem to be not quite as high as most on Tyus Jones, which is a little weird because I'm sort of a "pure point guard" kind of a dude.

He just isn't as explosive as I've come to expect from a #1 overall prospect in a class. He's on the small side. And even watching him he's sort of by the book. Not as creative as I generally expect from a guy with that profile and what is something of a limited body.
    He's got a very good stroke for a young guy, but even that looks a touch slow to get off. And it's not the shot creator type of stroke I expect from a truely great shooter.

To be fair, I've seen him mostly in all-star games, and only one high school game. And perhaps his reigned in approach isn't ideal in that setting. But still.

I'm sure he'll be good. And I'm rooting for him, because I generally like the style of play I've read him most associated with, forcefull yet carefull, measured but aggressive, thoughtfull. He just doesn't feel like a top overall prospect when I see him.

Banned

How is Okafor raw? Granted, he's playing against much lower competition than he'll face in college, he's incredibly skilled with a nice set of post moves and great touch down low. He's the prototypical offensive big man.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop_Cat
    How is Okafor raw? Granted, he's playing against much lower competition than he'll face in college, he's incredibly skilled with a nice set of post moves and great touch down low. He's the prototypical offensive big man.

just poor word choice. He's not really raw, he's just not as developed as Tyus. On the defensive end and conditioning wise - he's got quite a ways to go. dude's got a buttery post game tho.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Goliath Uterus
    just poor word choice. He's not really raw, he's just not as developed as Tyus. On the defensive end and conditioning wise - he's got quite a ways to go. dude's got a buttery post game tho.
    Oh yeah for sure. I'm really excited for him to come in though. I'm getting pretty sick of these "defensive big guys". A lot like Boogie in how skilled he is.

MSU had been in and out of the running, I thought we had Jones in the bag a year ago, but this whole package deal killed our chances. Okafor's camp seems set on KU or Duke, never really seriously considered MSU. Duke would be the best and worst choice if that makes any sense

I had them going to my Minnesota Golden Gophers until reality kicked in. Now I think that they will end up at Duke.

Learning to shoot layups

Jones is incredible. The only knocks on his game is that everything seems so easy for him, it's hard to say how good he really is.

I think they'll both be great, but if either has any questions it is Jones.

Okafor is the most rock solid true big man to come out in years and is unbelievable.

NBA rookie of the year Kingwillball's Avatar

The best Center and player period in this class is Karl Towns JR..

Made that high school varsity squad DwadeOverLebron's Avatar

Just saw whitney young vs some west coast high school team with emanuel mudiay.. and this is my observation...

I wasn't high on okafor at first.. i always felt cliff alexander had more potential and is clearly more athletic out of the two.. BUT after this game, in which okafor looks like he cut weight and looked really lean (which is a good thing cuz he was kind puffy last time I saw him). But I was really impressed with okafor and this game changed my mind, I think okafor is a special talent and his stroke from 12-18 ft. is gonna be lethal at the pro level. His fundamentals and feel for the game is also impressive, still not a world class athletic freak but his skill level for that size at 18 yrs old is pretty rare. I think he will be a top 2 pick lock when ever he decides to go pro.

I was extremely high on mudiay before this game. But altho he had a very solid game, he didn't show me anything new or wowed me in any way, which was kind of dissapointing. He's not as athletic as I thought he was going to be and i don't think he's suited for the pg position. He will be much better as a wing on the next level. Altho playing pg at SMU under larry brown might develop him better for the next level.