Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default What works for knee pain?

I had a full ACL and meniscus tear years ago and had to undergo surgery to repair my ligament. I can play basketball but sometimes its quite painful to my knees, the knees just doesn't feel right.

Anyway, can someone recommend anything that works for knee pain? Any sure fire way? Something that helps reduce the pain like 50% would also be great..

NBA Legend

Default Re: What works for knee pain?

Rub some tussin on it.

weed is a nice painkiller

Physical therapy type movements for 3 months working on strengthening the muscles and stabilizing the knee. If you don't strengthen and stabalize you will be complaining about it for the rest of your life. You also want to make sure to get on a good stretching routine... all of those should be routine. Of course it's boring compared to basketball and easy to lose steam... but in the end it's worth it cus when you get back you won't be in as much pain.

There's nothing you can really do. I've had ACL reconstruction on both and an MCL on one; I play soccer and stretch a lot everyday but it doesn't matter. It'll ache the rest your life.

Local High School Star TryToBeUnbias's Avatar

Ice helps me.

Quote Originally Posted by tgan3
    I had a full ACL and meniscus tear years ago and had to undergo surgery to repair my ligament. I can play basketball but sometimes its quite painful to my knees, the knees just doesn't feel right.

Anyway, can someone recommend anything that works for knee pain? Any sure fire way? Something that helps reduce the pain like 50% would also be great..
    I feelya.

Get a brace first of all, even tho you'll feel like a bitch out there. Strengthening the other muscles is good, too. You can google it even.

http://www.prevention.com/health/hea...ises-knee-pain

but like I said I feelya because that shit sucks. I think it does have a lot to do with the strength of your other muscles, tho, cuz once you **** shit up, you change the way your body moves.

-Smak

National High School Star

As ridiculous as this sounds....at some point the pain is not "real" and comes as a defensive mechanism from your CNS (central nervous system) in an attempt to protect your body from harming itself.

Your injury created a habitual fear/thought process that the area is weak or messed up. As such, the body sends pain signals to it so that you slow down or so that you don't push it. The body is pretty amazing in it's ability to heal itself - however the mind is much harder to overcome.

I also tore my ACL and I wanted to better when I returned. One thing that has REALLY helped me the most is to retrain my mind by doing slow paced activities that show me my increased range of flexibility/strength (than I even had before my injury). Literally, the only exercise I've done is training my body and my mind to become comfortable in this natural human position: the asian squat. This should be a resting position for your body and you should be able to sit in it. Trust me....if you can achieve this your knee, hips, etc will all feel much more at ease. For me, I had mental tightness around all those areas and so I struggled even just sitting on the floor comfortably.

My routine is to do 100 squats, no weight, from standing straight up all the way down to the bottom into the squat shown in the picture. Then randomly throughout the day I try to sit in that position for 2 minutes here and there. It really loosens up your back etc.

Of course you are not going to listen to me...but visit any foreign country and check out the mobility of 70+ year old men jumping, standing, stretching, bending etc and you'll realize how as Westerns we lose so much of our mobility because we never get close to the ground in our daily lives.

I had some bad lingering knee pain for years and this fixed it 100% in just 1 day:

http://youtu.be/--PeQIBwdxc

Of course, a full ACL and meniscus tear is something else but just try it. Might help you too. Just hold the stretch for 3+ minutes at a time. It will be abit painful but that's how you know you're doing it right.

Quote Originally Posted by sundizz
    As ridiculous as this sounds....at some point the pain is not "real" and comes as a defensive mechanism from your CNS (central nervous system) in an attempt to protect your body from harming itself.

Your injury created a habitual fear/thought process that the area is weak or messed up. As such, the body sends pain signals to it so that you slow down or so that you don't push it. The body is pretty amazing in it's ability to heal itself - however the mind is much harder to overcome.

I also tore my ACL and I wanted to better when I returned. One thing that has REALLY helped me the most is to retrain my mind by doing slow paced activities that show me my increased range of flexibility/strength (than I even had before my injury). Literally, the only exercise I've done is training my body and my mind to become comfortable in this natural human position: the asian squat. This should be a resting position for your body and you should be able to sit in it. Trust me....if you can achieve this your knee, hips, etc will all feel much more at ease. For me, I had mental tightness around all those areas and so I struggled even just sitting on the floor comfortably.

My routine is to do 100 squats, no weight, from standing straight up all the way down to the bottom into the squat shown in the picture. Then randomly throughout the day I try to sit in that position for 2 minutes here and there. It really loosens up your back etc.

Of course you are not going to listen to me...but visit any foreign country and check out the mobility of 70+ year old men jumping, standing, stretching, bending etc and you'll realize how as Westerns we lose so much of our mobility because we never get close to the ground in our daily lives.
    The Asian squat. Damn, I still can't do it.

Note that it has to be done this way:

The western squat is actually damaging the feet so if you can't do the asian squat (full squat), it's better not to squat.

NBA Superstar

nothing. doctors are useless. well other than the obvious pain killers but i don't think anyone is taking that stuff forever.

my knee swells up after playing something hard where i'm out of commision for like a day or two. even gets all stiff when its cold, where i can hear it making noises when i'm bending it like some old rusty lever. got X rays, doctor said it looks fine, and pretended like there is no association between cold weather and knee issues stiffness

stop sucking so many di[COLOR="Black"]ck[/COLOR]s

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by tgan3

Just amputate it. It's the most sure-fire way possible, and you get 100% pain relief.

Quote Originally Posted by tomtucker
    stop sucking so many di[COLOR="Black"]ck[/COLOR]s
    This

when I first started squatting years back, I would get this little nagging knee pain .. thought my knees were shot and damaged to be honest .. I thought this is just how it is and it'll probably just get worse as time goes on now ..

I was doing that thigh parallel to the ground garbage .. long story short, I switched to full atg squats and I kid you not, I've never had knee pain or any knee issues for that matter since .. and this was years ago .. I would recommend anyone who does squat to do them atg .. full, proper, actual squatting .. no cheating or half assing .. that's how you get injured or develop chronic pain/injuries .. proper stretching and then do real squats .. whether you're using heavy or light weight .. I completely subscribe to sundizz's post