Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Default Re: Living in the mid-90's > any era

Yeah, that nostalgia.

I dunno man... life was ****ed up for me already in the mid 90s. I was a teenager. The eras I miss was when I didn't know what was going on. When it was just like go to the PARK. So, before the internet. Before I was introduced to video games.

In the mid/late 90s, I was already a factor on the AOL scene. Going from the PSX chat room to the N64 chat room like... NINTENDO SUX!!! NINTENDO SUX!! LOLOLOL. NERDS.

-Smak

Quote Originally Posted by Norcaliblunt
    The mid 90's was definitely the best part of that decade. The beginning of 90's had it's issues, and the end was basically the transition into what we have now, but the middle was where everything that was good about that time seemed to peak. It was the end of an era, and the beginning of everyone being blasted into the Information Age.

I don't hate technology at all. In fact I'm pissed that we haven't got more of it for this day and age. I mean in the 20th century fools were talking about flying cars, Mars missions, space colonies, and personal robots and shit, when we were supposed to be this deep into the 2000's. Aside from mass communication, access to a cluster **** of information, and some very cool entertainment sources, what the hell do we have that is so great? We still drive cars, fly inefficient airplanes, there's a none existent space program, no cure for cancer (more people dying from it actually), GMO shit food, an infrastructure the American Society of Civil Engineers give a D+, people still slaving 40 to 60 hours plus a week for jobs that could be automated, or sitting in cubicles for bullshit insurance, and banking companies that produce nothing tangible. While as technology has progressed to make things like computers, cell phones, email, blackberries, etc. available, it doesn't make your job easier because you are constantly connected, and can't get away from work always on call.

For Christ's sake can't we at least get a transcontinental maglev train already.

Mid 90's had hope.

Maybe they were just f*cking with us all those years... I remember watching cartoons and reading science fiction novels as a kid and they all pretty much had 2001 and beyond as the time when we would be living like the Jetsons and traveling into space like it was nothing.

Or maybe we lost our ambition to push society forward in that manner.. Society jumped leaps and bounds from the time the first airplane was created to 50's and 60s. Then its seem like we tapered off. Like you said, we have alot of information technology that keeps growing and growing, and we also have few other pieces of micro technology... But I think it goes back to what I was saying earlier.. Our priorities arent focused on the betterment of society as much as it seemed to be decades ago. I can't shake the feeling that people in charge of old systems are stalling progress in the name of profit and control.

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    But music was certainly better overall. Perhaps not significantly, but it was better.
    I don't get this point? We still have 90s music. We can listen to or even watch any of it anytime we want (unlike in the 90s). We have access to the entire 90s catalogue. The only time that was possible during the 90s were the last few days of '99, and even then access was tedious.

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

I think technology is good in general...

but I will say this, I'm was an 80s kid and when I was growing up I got together with other kids from the neighborhood and we went outside and did all sorts of shit...playing basketball/football/soccer, riding bikes, skateboarding, building ramps for our bikes and skateboards, etc etc etc

kids today are indoors for the most part...and that is sad to me...and this is coming from a video game dev.

College star

This idea that kids don't go outside anymore is a bit exaggerated IMO. I see kids all the time where I'm at running around in the streets, skateboarding, playing at the park, and at the beach.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by Rasheed1
    Maybe they were just f*cking with us all those years... I remember watching cartoons and reading science fiction novels as a kid and they all pretty much had 2001 and beyond as the time when we would be living like the Jetsons and traveling into space like it was nothing.

Or maybe we lost our ambition to push society forward in that manner.. Society jumped leaps and bounds from the time the first airplane was created to 50's and 60s. Then its seem like we tapered off. Like you said, we have alot of information technology that keeps growing and growing, and we also have few other pieces of micro technology... But I think it goes back to what I was saying earlier.. Our priorities arent focused on the betterment of society as much as it seemed to be decades ago. I can't shake the feeling that people in charge of old systems are stalling progress in the name of profit and control.
    I agree and there has been a major **** block from corporations and the powers that be to keep resources and technology limited to continue profit and control.

Yeah dude, I totally miss:

Having to spend half an hour downloading a song, if I could even find it online.

Limiting my time online before the "free hours" ran out.

Making sure no one was expecting a call before logging on.

Getting driving directions via the Thomas Guide.

Having to order a CD through Tower if they didn't have it, driving down there and spending $18.99 for an album with five good songs on it, at best.

Buying my movies on bulky VHS tapes that would either get eaten or lose their picture quality over a few years.

Not knowing if a restaurant was any good before going there.

etc. etc.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialQue

Not knowing if a restaurant was any good before going there.

etc. etc.

This one cracks me up. I was thinking the other day how pointless online restaurant reviews are. They are just like amazon book reviews, message board sports or political debates, and whatever random thoughts you read on the web. Just another dumb ass persons BS opinion that doesn't mean shit, and the contradicting ones to go with, and like the examples I gave above, they leave you having to experience it for yourself to make up your own mind.
    Last edited by Norcaliblunt; 04-04-2013 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by joe
    From the stories I hear, growing up in the 50's or whatever would have just been so confining. "DON'T DO THIS, DON'T DO THAT.. OR I'LL SMACK YA.. SEE!" Uck.
    My parents in the 2000s

Best things to come out of the 90's were grunge music and the pro wrestling explosion of '96-'99.

90s was amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Draz
    90s was amazing.
    Aren't you 20, f[COLOR="Black"]ag?[/COLOR]

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

I was a 90s kid, but I loved a lot of the carry over that I had from the 80s, like this:

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    I was a 90s kid, but I loved a lot of the carry over that I had from the 80s, like this:

I had one of those, I think the yellow one. But I only ever saw the vehicle voltron series.

music, movies , tv was better...........and people have gotten 50% fatter and more lazy in 15 years time..........too many cars, nobody walks..........