Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Default Re: Tyreke Evans wins Rookie of Year

Overrated...

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddlovesnets
    Overrated...

20/5/5 during a rookie season, is overrated to you?

Future Top 3 player in the NBA. The Sky is the limit for young Tyreke Evans.

Congrats to tyreke.. Can't argue with those numbers..

I would have liked to see Jennings get it, but he was MIA for
    chunks of the season.. Good to see him playing well in the
    playoffs though..

yea jennings shot at 37 percent for his debut season but as far as the playoffs im pretty sure he was shooting at about the 45 percent mark although he did make a few more attempts. that being said he came up big in the playoffs as the bucks needed due to the absense of their big man and even tht still doesnt win him the ROY tho the kid deserves more than the idioitic hate based on his APG through the regular series

I'm a little lost as to why team record is such an important factor in MVP but has little importance for ROY.

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    I'm a little lost as to why team record is such an important factor in MVP but has little importance for ROY.
    It's not just team record. It's a player's impact on his team's record.

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime
    It's not just team record. It's a player's impact on his team's record.
    Wouldn't you say Brandon Jennings has had a significant impact on that record? I understand Bogut is the best player on that team but Jennings has been asked to run the offense while also carrying a heavy load of the scoring with Michael Redd out all year.

Wouldn't you say Brandon Jennings has had a significant impact on that record?
    The argument people have used has been:

Bucks record > Kings and Warriors record.

Now, my position is that if you want to argue impact, then I have two responses:

First of which is that Evans has impacted his team. Dealing with a first year head coach, dealing with injuries, trades, and an inconsistent lineup (and one of the youngest and most inexperienced rotations in the league), he not only managed to help his team win more games than last season, but anybody paying attention saw his clutch play and how he helped his team stay competitive when they really shouldn't have been (taking LA and Cleveland down to the wire, 35 point comeback in Chicago, etc etc).

So with that being said, when looking at impact, I don't see how Evans couldn't have the same positive impact on the bucks to help them get to the playoffs.

Both players helped their team. Just because one had a better team doesn't mean said individual had more of an impact than the other.

I understand Bogut is the best player on that team but Jennings has been asked to run the offense while also carrying a heavy load of the scoring with Michael Redd out all year.
    And Evans shouldered the load when Martin went down 6 games into the season. The kings didn't have a legit option like Bogut to go to. All they had was Evans and a bunch of role players.

It's comments like these that really make me wonder how many games people actually watched Evans play this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime
    The argument people have used has been:

Bucks record > Kings and Warriors record.

Now, my position is that if you want to argue impact, then I have two responses:

First of which is that Evans has impacted his team. Dealing with a first year head coach, dealing with injuries, trades, and an inconsistent lineup (and one of the youngest and most inexperienced rotations in the league), he not only managed to help his team win more games than last season, but anybody paying attention saw his clutch play and how he helped his team stay competitive when they really shouldn't have been (taking LA and Cleveland down to the wire, 35 point comeback in Chicago, etc etc).

So with that being said, when looking at impact, I don't see how Evans couldn't have the same positive impact on the bucks to help them get to the playoffs.

Both players helped their team. Just because one had a better team doesn't mean said individual had more of an impact than the other.

And Evans shouldered the load when Martin went down 6 games into the season. The kings didn't have a legit option like Bogut to go to. All they had was Evans and a bunch of role players.

It's comments like these that really make me wonder how many games people actually watched Evans play this season.
    I've watched probably 7-8 games of Tyreke this season. Obviously I won't have as many opportunities to watch his games as you do because you live on the west coast and I live on the east coast. I know Evans had a huge impact on his team and did perform great in the clutch. I'm just trying to play devil's advocate here as to why Jennings should be voted ROY. I don't even think Jennings should have won it.

I've watched probably 7-8 games of Tyreke this season. Obviously I won't have as many opportunities to watch his games as you do because you live on the west coast and I live on the east coast. I know Evans had a huge impact on his team and did perform great in the clutch. I'm just trying to play devil's advocate here as to why Jennings should be voted ROY. I don't even think Jennings should have won it.
    I understand. Because of BJ's stats, the best argument that could be made is his impact on the bucks making the playoffs. But the counter to that is that other PG's, in a similar situation, could have also made a positive impact on the bucks, so there's really nothing that sets BJ head and shoulders above the rest of his rookie peers to get the award.

One advantage Jennings seems to have over the others (besides team success) is defense.

http://www.brewhoop.com/2010/4/29/14...ransition-game

Hollinger's take....

Unlike Evans or Curry, however, he doesn't have to post big offensive numbers in order to be an effective player. For starters, Jennings has run the point with savvy belying his years, committing just seven turnovers in five games in the postseason. He's still not a classic drive-and-kick guy, but in his year spent taking his lumps in Italy and his season under Skiles, he's learned how to play nearly mistake-free basketball.

And then there's the defense. Jennings is miles beyond Evans and Curry in this respect, and that explains why his on-court versus off-court defensive stats are the best of the three -- even though Jennings' faces much more difficult comparisons via this stat because his teammates actually guard people. The Kings were 21st in Defensive Efficiency and the Warriors 29th, while Jennings' Milwaukee team, by contrast, was third.

Jennings is undersized and took his lumps at times at the defensive end of the floor early in the season. But he has steadily improved by necessity, and because he's been held accountable all season, his defense this series has been consistently good and at times phenomenal. I watched Game 3 and thought it was the best I'd ever seen him defend, but he was just as good in far more trying circumstances in Game 5.
    Again while Evans clearly had the best regular season and was the ROY, Jennings was probably closer than most (Evans fans and Curry fans) care to admit.

Also, I do find it preposterous when people say that Curry or Evans could have done just as good and probably better in Milwaukee considering that is clearly hypothetical. Some pieces fit well together, some do not. Jennings clearly fit in Milwaukee, we do not know hot the others would have.

"Jennings is miles beyond Evans and Curry in this respect"

That statement is LAUGHABLE. Evans often took on the best perimeter player on the opposing team. Arenas, Kobe, Joe Johnson, Westbrook, Wade, etc etc. He was often used to guard either guard position depending on matchups, and he had to face much more difficult players to handle. Again, hollinger shows how much he doesn't know about the game.
    Last edited by Showtime; 04-30-2010 at 04:53 PM.

for those that believe Evans doesn't deserve ROY, let me ask you this: did Lebron deserve it over Carmelo?

nonetheless, Evans was ROY because he was the best player. it's that simple.

a rookie being the best player on a team is very rare, which means they usually aren't the main contributor to the team record. plus it's fundamentally flawed to award the rookie that has better teammate than others, therefore it's reasonable to award the player simply based on stats. MVP on the other hand, holds more responsibility for the team, which relates to the team success.

but then again, it would've been interesting if Jennings shot 45% from the field.