Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Fudge's Avatar

Default Re: #70 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops

Quote Originally Posted by iDunk
    This guy.

& LOL at McGrady being the 70th best NBA player of all time. I rank Carter over McGrady.
    You're right. It should've been Carmelo Anthony.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Fudge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ripthekik
    one of the worst picks so far.
    thanks to a few tmac lunatic fans and double/triple accounts who voted him in. he accomplished absolutely nothing in the playoffs through his career. had a great team in houston but couldn't get himself healthy, has no one to blame.
    Nope, pretty sure Deuce took away my other votes on my other accounts in the other threads. Try again. Definitely not as bad as your boy Pau Gasol being 64th.

Quote Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
    LOL @ "great team"

Please explain what was great about Houston.
    Yao Ming, T-mac, 2 great superstars.
    Role players? Mutumbo, chuck hayes, mike james, luther head, I don't remember which year which guys came in, but they had pretty serviceable players.
    they had the superstars and role players to make it all work.
    they still didn't get anywhere.

what happened Rockets v Mavs Game 7 in 2005? You tell me.

The Magical T-Mac HardwoodLegend's Avatar

Yao Ming, T-mac, 2 great superstars.
    Role players? Mutumbo, chuck hayes, mike james, luther head, I don't remember which year which guys came in, but they had pretty serviceable players.
    they had the superstars and role players to make it all work.
    they still didn't get anywhere.

what happened Rockets v Mavs Game 7 in 2005? You tell me.
    They were good, not great.

They were outmatched by the Mavs in 2005... it was pretty much T-Mac and Yao fending for themselves in Game 7. And, Yao's stamina was horrible in that postseason as he could only play 31 minutes per game. It's not accurate to say T-Mac has "no one to blame", especially for that year in the playoffs. Like I said, it was T-Mac and Yao fending for themselves.. and Yao wasn't even on the floor enough to be that legitimate sidekick for a 1-2 punch.

They were good, not great.

They were outmatched by the Mavs in 2005... it was pretty much T-Mac and Yao fending for themselves in Game 7. And, Yao's stamina was horrible in that postseason as he could only play 31 minutes per game. It's not accurate to say T-Mac has "no one to blame", especially for that year in the playoffs. Like I said, it was T-Mac and Yao fending for themselves.. and Yao wasn't even on the floor enough to be that legitimate sidekick for a 1-2 punch.
    And when Yao was healthy, Tmac wasn't there. In fact, Yao took that team to the second round, and would have went further if he didn't get injured. It's Tmac's responsibility to step up as the leader, but that was just how he is.

And when Yao was healthy, Tmac wasn't there. In fact, Yao took that team to the second round, and would have went further if he didn't get injured. It's Tmac's responsibility to step up as the leader, but that was just how he is.
    It was a star-crossed duo. If everything had been clicking on all cylinders for both of them at the same time, they would have had a lot more success together.

That team Yao got to the 2nd round was well-rounded and balanced with Ron Artest and faced an inferior Blazers squad. T-Mac was never lucky enough to have a favorable match-up like that.

So, if you're going to assume that Yao "would have went further if he didn't get injured" I think it's fair to assume T-Mac "would have went further in 2005" if Yao was able to stay on the floor and they had a piece similar to Ron Artest to strengthen the squad.

It was a star-crossed duo. If everything had been clicking on all cylinders for both of them at the same time, they would have had a lot more success together.

That team Yao got to the 2nd round was well-rounded and balanced with Ron Artest and faced an inferior Blazers squad. T-Mac was never lucky enough to have a favorable match-up like that.

So, if you're going to assume that Yao "would have went further if he didn't get injured" I think it's fair to assume T-Mac "would have went further in 2005" if Yao was able to stay on the floor and they had a piece similar to Ron Artest to strengthen the squad.
    The thing is, the Houston front office did a GREAT job surrounding Tmac and Yao with great players. In 2008 they had Battier, Ron Artest, Luis Scola, aaron brooks, chuck hayes, carl landry, mutumbo.

If Tmac had stayed healthy.. he would have had the greatest opportunity to win a ring. But he was the one that couldn't stay healthy. He didn't win a ring not because nobody built a good team around him, but because he couldn't stay healthy. And this is part of how we rank players don't we? Durability, consistency, and health; Tmac fails at this part.

The thing is, the Houston front office did a GREAT job surrounding Tmac and Yao with great players. In 2008 they had Battier, Ron Artest, Luis Scola, aaron brooks, chuck hayes, carl landry, mutumbo.

If Tmac had stayed healthy.. he would have had the greatest opportunity to win a ring. But he was the one that couldn't stay healthy. He didn't win a ring not because nobody built a good team around him, but because he couldn't stay healthy. And this is part of how we rank players don't we? Durability, consistency, and health; Tmac fails at this part.
    There's no defending T-Mac's lack of durability or mental frailty. He definitely didn't work hard enough to keep his fitness up after the 2003 season. It's as if he went on a steady decline of pre-season preparation as he came into each season looking less fit.

He was an amazing, supremely gifted player at his peak though, and I think that goes underappreciated sometimes by people who have an agenda against him. I can't defend his childish mentality, but he was the kind of player that needed a good team early in his career to help keep him motivated to stay healthy. He was stranded in a shit situation that caused him to lose hope.

I don't have anything against McGrady, but he has no business being here ahead of Alonzo Mourning.

And let's be honest. Why does he make it over Grant Hill? Neither one got to the 2nd round (at least Hill didn't in his prime), but regardless of the PPG, Hill's peak is greater than McGrady's. He should have been All-NBA as a rookie and was All-NBA the next 5 years. Probably should have made another 1st Team, but his teams sucked. Has a legitimate argument over Malone in 96 as well.

And after all the injuries, he had an all-star season in Orlando and has been a very good player in Phoenix. McGrady was a contributor to Toronto and then great in Orlando and Houston, for about as long as Hill was. But he wasn't as good a contributor after being a great player, as Grant Hill was.

Quote Originally Posted by Whoah10115
    I don't have anything against McGrady, but he has no business being here ahead of Alonzo Mourning.

And let's be honest. Why does he make it over Grant Hill? Neither one got to the 2nd round (at least Hill didn't in his prime), but regardless of the PPG, Hill's peak is greater than McGrady's. He should have been All-NBA as a rookie and was All-NBA the next 5 years. Probably should have made another 1st Team, but his teams sucked. Has a legitimate argument over Malone in 96 as well.

And after all the injuries, he had an all-star season in Orlando and has been a very good player in Phoenix. McGrady was a contributor to Toronto and then great in Orlando and Houston, for about as long as Hill was. But he wasn't as good a contributor after being a great player, as Grant Hill was.

High School Varsity 6th Man

A. Mourning

Don't have the time to read the whole list and make a good pick, all I know is that Moncrief should be there already

Penny Hardaway

Bob Lanier

Banned

Alonzo Mourning

-7 Time NBA All-star
    -NBA ****ing Champion on the 2006 Miami Heat
    -2x DPOY
    -550+ Bench Press
    -Inspiration to kidney transplanters everywhere