Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

Default Re: Chandler and Okafur officially traded.

Quote Originally Posted by wang4three
    What gargantuan centers? Kaman and Dampier? Outside of Bynum, there aren't that many big athletic centers out west.
    Amare, Duncan, Dirk, Al Jefferson, Pau, Andrew Bynum, Nene etc. He lucked up with the Yao injury, but he will face a lot of bigs 4 times next year that are generally too much for him to handle.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by Dasher
    I can tell you that Okafor is fool's gold.
    In that case Tyson is fool's bronze. Okafor is a definite upgrade over Tyson.

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

Amare, Duncan, Dirk, Al Jefferson, Pau, Andrew Bynum, Nene etc. He lucked up with the Yao injury, but he will face a lot of bigs 4 times next year that are generally too much for him to handle.
    Amare, Duncan, Jefferson, Nene aren't bigger than Okafor. They're each 6-10, 6-11ish and Okafor is as strong as any of them if not more so. I don't think he'll be exposed. He's a good defender, with good timing on blocks, and he's fairly athletic. He may not run the floor as well as Chandler, but he certainly makes it up with a decent post game and a fairly consistent 10 foot jump shot.

Quote Originally Posted by yobore
    In that case Tyson is fool's bronze. Okafor is a definite upgrade over Tyson.
    No he isn't. He MAY be the healthier out of the two, but they both have huge red flags. Back injuries are no joke, and they generally don't get better, and flare up at random times.

Quote Originally Posted by wang4three
    Amare, Duncan, Jefferson, Nene aren't bigger than Okafor. They're each 6-10, 6-11ish and Okafor is as strong as any of them if not more so. I don't think he'll be exposed. He's a good defender, with good timing on blocks, and he's fairly athletic. He may not run the floor as well as Chandler, but he certainly makes it up with a decent post game and a fairly consistent 10 foot jump shot.
    He's not stronger than those guys. His post game is also not decent. Okafor is a shot blocking Al Horford w/o the intagibles.

McCants is Available!!

He's not stronger than those guys. His post game is also not decent. Okafor is a shot blocking Al Horford w/o the intagibles.
    SMDH. Okafor is not stronger than Amare, Dirk, Gasol, and Al Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Basketball#1
    SMDH. Okafor is not stronger than Amare, Dirk, Gasol, and Al Jefferson.
    Al Jefferson put 40 on Okafor without breaking a sweat. Amar'e's and Pau have underrated strength. The only cat I would say he is stronger than is Dirk, but we both know that he has absolutely no chance of stopping Dirk.

Okafor tested out the strongest of his draft class that included other guys like Kris Humphries (****ty player, but strong guy), Dwight Howard, and Al Jefferson. Granted Al and Dwight were high school kids, but he out performed them overwhelmingly. I doubt in the last 5 or so years Dwight and Jefferson were getting stronger while Okafor was not. So I would say that he's as strong as anybody in his range.

Okafor's post game is decent enough in my opinion. His footwork timing is off, but in comparison to Tyson Chandler, he looks like Hakeem out there. Not to mention he has like a 7-5 wing span and a 9-4 reach. I can't believe that it is a question that he won't be better out there than Tyson Chandler. The only thing I would worry about is his pick and roll game. I have not seen much of it since college, but he's a smart kid and I think he'll be able to pick it up.

A 21 year old man in UCONN's strength and conditioning program should test better than a couple of high school kid's, but when matched up against Dwight and Al now the strength advantage that the two of them have over him is obvious.

A 21 year old man in UCONN's strength and conditioning program should test better than a couple of high school kid's, but when matched up against Dwight and Al now the strength advantage that the two of them have over him is obvious.
    That's under the assumption that Emeka didn't continually work on his strength.

McCants is Available!!

Al Jefferson put 40 on Okafor without breaking a sweat. Amar'e's and Pau have underrated strength. The only cat I would say he is stronger than is Dirk, but we both know that he has absolutely no chance of stopping Dirk.
    Underrated strength? Pau is about as soft as it gets. His advantages over defenders is that he is quicker and has long arms which makes scoring over defenders for him easier.

Which is the bigger player? I've read a few pages of conflicting opinions here and thought I'd bring some facts to the thread.

Emeka Okafor has a 9'4" standing reach.
    Tyson Chandler has a 9'3" standing reach.

They are both centers. Okafor has 20 pounds on Chandler, and is more compact (he is almost 3" shorter). When drafted, Okafor had a .5 inch better vert, but he put on weight since then so he probably lost a few inches there.

Which is the better defender? Hard to say. Both get blocks, but how much does that really tell you? Okafor is clearly more physical, but Chandler can move his lighter body better. Probably depends on defensive assignments and matchups.

Which is the better rebounder? They are most similar here. But, I'll give the edge to the more physical player. Rebounding numbers aren't very useful in deciding this: great rebounding teams rebound by committe. You gotta watch tape.

Which is the bigger offensive threat? Neither is going to be a first, second, or even third option player. Chandler is a great lob pass guy, probably better than Okafor is, and Paul is going to miss that assist play. But, Okafor is more likely to get inside the paint for a reason other than a put-back (even though he may be only a little bit more successful in the end). Paul will be frustrated when he drops a few sick passes because his court awareness just can't keep up with.

This trade is about contracts and injuries. Chandler has been on the trade block for a while. NOH has tried to move him for garbage but failed because his toe injury is more serious than previously reported. Okafor recently signed a large, long contract and the 'Cats are feeling some buyers remorse going into the new economy. The teams are basically trading their problems to each other.

Default Re: Bobcats trade Emeka Okafor to Hornets for Tyson Chandler

I don't get what Charlotte is trying to do.
    Most of the trades they make, they seem to be on the downside of them.

Diaw and Bell for Richardson (arguable/ Suns win)
    Radmonovic for Morrison and Brown (Lakers win)
    Chandler for Okafor (Hornets win)

Decent playground baller BeebCats's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TMT

We got WAAAAAAAAAAY better after the Diaw/Bell trade.
    Radmonovic trade is eh.
    Chandler for Okafor, we have yet to see how it pans out. I don't see how it could really hurt us, seeing as we didn't rely on okafor for offense.

Quote Originally Posted by TMT

what? the bobcats played above .500 ball after the trade. they made a massive improvement.