Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Decent playground baller nbarumorz's Avatar

Default Re: 7 Teams Passed On Drummond, Remember That When...

Let's see here...

29% Free Throw shooter
    +
    Questionable work ethic/motivation/intensity
    +
    7 footer who averaged < 8 RBG
    +
    2 pts and 3 reb in his only game on a big, important stage (NCAA Tourney) in 26 minutes of action

= over-hyped BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUST

7-time NBA All-Star

Drummond has physical potentially, but he's just so raw, completely lacks any skills at the moment and he's foul prone even at the college level. He's a kid who I definitely would've liked to see stay another 2 years, or at least another year and develop his game a little more while getting playing time. I hate seeing these project big men enter the league when they're going to be so useless in their first year, if not longer. Being so incapable of competing at the NBA level right now, so unskilled and so lacking in knowledge and how to play the game gives him the potential to be a bust so he's far from a safe pick.

As raw as Dwight was as a rookie, Drummond is definitely less skilled and NBA-ready. And while Dwight obviously showed significant potential in his rookie year, he didn't show anything to suggest that he'd be capable of becoming the player he was in 2011. So you never know, these guys can surprise you, but Drummond obviously won't reach Dwight's level.

This also reminds me how much I miss Greg Oden. He had more physical potential than Drummond, and while he was raw, he was much more skilled entering the league than Drummond is now, and you could see the potential for Oden to be able to make jump hooks and develop a pretty good post game.
    Last edited by ShaqAttack3234; 06-29-2012 at 06:18 PM.

Good college starter EricGordon23's Avatar

People compare him to DJ but Cmon did you watch any of his games. He is already better offensively then DJ. Hes going to be dwight with a Jump shot best case scenario. How do you pass on that?

Pistons have Big Ben and Monroe for him to learn from.....

Not airballing my layups anymore

The record on guys with raw physical talents but no basketball skills is awful. For every Andrew Bynum there are 5 Hasheem Thabeets. Not picking Drummond shows that teams are finally learning that these guys tend to be busts.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by eliteballer
    Pistons have Big Ben and Monroe for him to learn from.....
    Wallace probably retires.

Decent playground baller

The thing with "blank slates" is more often than not, they don't turn out to be Magna Cartas.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    Drummond has physical potentially, but he's just so raw, completely lacks any skills at the moment and he's foul prone even at the college level. He's a kid who I definitely would've liked to see stay another 2 years, or at least another year and develop his game a little more while getting playing time. I hate seeing these project big men enter the league when they're going to be so useless in their first year, if not longer. Being so incapable of competing at the NBA level right now, so unskilled and so lacking in knowledge and how to play the game gives him the potential to be a bust so he's far from a safe pick.
    This was my initial thinking also but seeing Sullinger and PJ3's stock drop significantly by staying 1 more year I just can't support that anymore. Get in the league while you can, and try to improve from there.

Bunch of morons passing on Drummond. How could Cleveland not look to pair Irving with an All-Star caliber big?

Guys like MKG and Waiters going 2nd and 4th?

And why do people act like he has no skills? Where does this nonsense come from? ESPN?

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by stolper
    The record on guys with raw physical talents but no basketball skills is awful. For every Andrew Bynum there are 5 Hasheem Thabeets. Not picking Drummond shows that teams are finally learning that these guys tend to be busts.
    and the Lakers had Kareem work with him. Who's going to coach up an extremely raw Andre Drummond in Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    And why do people act like he has no skills? Where does this nonsense come from? ESPN?
    People act like that because relative to his size and athleticism he played like crap in his 1 year in college.

The best comparison for Drummond is Amare when he came into the league.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysunny
    This was my initial thinking also but seeing Sullinger and PJ3's stock drop significantly by staying 1 more year I just can't support that anymore. Get in the league while you can, and try to improve from there.
    I think if he's as talented as some think he is, his stock won't drop, particularly if he starts to show more to his game. I don't like the idea of him going to the NBA which the ability he has now, he won't be able to compete for a while, and I think that's bad for his development.

And purely speaking as an NBA fan, I just hate seeing teams draft these types. It's why I wish there was at least a 2 year college rule.

Serious playground baller

with Big ben retiring and taking a coaching position on the staff I can see drummond being ready on the defensive end and rebounding very well. Pair him with a smooth player like moose and he will get some easy looks to score a handful of dunks and layups to keep the defense honest. No one is expecting the kid (18 yrs old) to step in and take the world by storm. Labeling him a bust or declaring him the next coming at this point is purely speculation.The college game and the pro game are entirely different creatures and we have all seen the great college players step on the pro floor and take a huge shit on center court. We have also seen relative unknowns step in and become very productive, even all stars. We can all agree the kid has enourmous upside and all the athletic potential to be a huge success....and im sure we can all agree that the term potential usually means " coulda been" I personally will hold out my judgement on him until I see how the team uses him, and how Knight and Monroe play along side him and compliment each others styles of play.