Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Who would you rather build your team around - Kareem, Bird, LeBron or MJ?

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    MJ.
    Cant go wrong with MJ

Default Re: Who would you rather build your team around - Kareem, Bird, LeBron or MJ?

Kareem is the most logical answer as a 7'2 dominant big...dude could average 30 and 15 easily now..

Quote Originally Posted by 2010splash
    Picking Bird or Kareem is a joke. Bird is simply an inferior player to both Jordan and LeBron. Kareem played against horrible competition in the 70's. The only reason people rank him ahead of LeBron is because of his decorated resume due to longevity. He wasn't actually a better player than LeBron.

Building a team from scratch...

1. Jordan/LeBron
    2. LeBron/Jordan
    3. Shaq

Then the rest.

I was actually leaning towards Kareem, but I had to take into consideration the new NBA rules. MJ would simply be unstoppable with the new defensive rules.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    I was actually leaning towards Kareem, but I had to take into consideration the new NBA rules. MJ would simply be unstoppable with the new defensive rules.

Quote Originally Posted by keepinitreal
    Who would stop Kareem in today's league?
    Its not like anybody is stopping Lebron any easier in todays league either... better yet Jordan or Bird aswell...

Its very tough... but if i didnt know anything about how their careers would work out then i would go with:

1. Kareem - was amazing before NBA, very dominant, very noticed and i guess its kindof safer to gamble on that kindof big man, especially in todays era...

2. Lebron - was more hyped than maybe anybody ive seen and at even younger age than any of these other 3 guys, was probably a better talent than any of these other 3 guys at that young age, man amongst children, potential was simply more earlier noticable than Bird/Jordan and he already played the game the right way being hyped as to be "the next Magic.. or better.." and so on, so i go with him at #2...

3. Bird - was the best NCAA player in 1977-79 (averaged ridicilous numbers like 32-13-5 etc.), very much talked about & hyped, the potential was eiaser to see than when Jordan was in college...

4. Jordan - won NCAA championship, but his teammate there James Worthy was actually more productive / better as far as i remember, the potential of him becoming exactly as good as he became was certainly not seen by anybody on this planet imo... foolish us...
    Last edited by pauk; 03-24-2013 at 03:33 AM.

But what makes this still tough is that it also depends on what type of team you have when you get one of these players (i assume we are not starting a NBA team from literally scratch?)..... if its all scrubs then i would favor a go-to-guy who can playmake/create plays with the ball in his hands, big men are not better than equally talented perimeter players in those "Here is the ball, do something" moments for example.... Lebron/Bird/Jordan (especially Lebron & Bird!) pre-NBA were also proven facilitators who showed they could that way make anything around them better...

"To take Kareem and later give him a great playmaker or to take Jordan/Bird/Lebron and later give him a big man.... that is the question"

or

"To take Kareem because i already have a great playmaker or to take Jordan/Bird/Lebron because i already have a great big man.... that is the question"
    Last edited by pauk; 03-24-2013 at 03:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2010splash
    Picking Bird or Kareem is a joke. Bird is simply an inferior player to both Jordan and LeBron. Kareem played against horrible competition in the 70's. The only reason people rank him ahead of LeBron is because of his decorated resume due to longevity. He wasn't actually a better player than LeBron.

Building a team from scratch...

1. Jordan/LeBron
    2. LeBron/Jordan

3. Shaq

Then the rest.
    behold ignorance in its purest state

If you didn't know who the rest of your franchise players, I'd say:

1) Bird
    2) KAJ
    3) Lebron
    4) Jordan

pauk, every time you say its a tough decision a kitten dies, lets face it, the only reason this is tough for you is cause you're a lebron stan

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

1 Jordan
    2 Lebron
    3 Jabbar
    4 Bird

Many other reasons why choosing between these 4 makes it in reality impossible for me... Not knowing how good they would pan out it would then be just best to cover my eyes and pick one guy.... and even then i would probably be regretful thinking maybe one of those other 3 guys would be a better choice....

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jabbar
    pauk, every time you say its a tough decision a kitten dies, lets face it, the only reason this is tough for you is cause you're a lebron stan
    Of course its because of that... because if i wasnt like you say a "Lebron stan" (you call anybody that who happens to be objective about his and anybody elses game anyways) then of course i would immediately go with Bird or Kareem or Jordan... because they were soooooo much better and showed soooo much more potential pre-NBA....

Even if it was the choice between only Bird, Kareem and Jordan it would still be equally tough.... what kindof "stan" am i then? I know!! Its tough because Lebron is not mentioned right?
    Last edited by pauk; 03-24-2013 at 04:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    Of course its because of that... because if i wasnt like you say a "Lebron stan" (you call anybody that who happens to be objective about his and anybody elses game anyways) then of course i would immediately go with Bird or Kareem or Jordan... because they were soooooo much better and showed soooo much more potential pre-NBA....

Even if it was the choice between only Bird, Kareem and Jordan it would still be equally tough....
    sorry, thought this thread was about picking someone for whats hes gonna give to your franchise given what we know about them, not about who was the most hyped at the moment of pick up...

3-time NBA All-Star

Its easier to build around jordan and kareem if you know how to build a team whereas if you dont, Then build around statpadders like lebron and bird. They can easily give you wins right away but they arent getting it done with lesser talent like jordan did. Thats why their combined rings are 4 which is not even greater than either kareem/jordan much more if combined.