Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Richard Jefferson opts out

Quote Originally Posted by icemanfan
    We are not over the cap and now the Spurs know what they have in place. I am thrilled. No one would have traded for him until AFTER the free agency market was decimated and the team knew they needed an expiring contract for next season.
    It honestly does not help you at all except getting him off the roster. It removes an expirer you could have used to trade for something, it gives you less money to give Tiago (assuming the full MLE rumors were true). You have no money to replace him. Aside from getting his sucky ass out of there, there is no benefit except financial to the spurs, and not financial helps team out, financial helps bottom line out.

This is funny.

Local High School Star icemanfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    Let's follow the logic:

$56.1 - $51 = $5.1 million of cap space. Because the Spurs are now under the cap, you get NO MID LEVEL EXCEPTION.

The MLE for 2010 is about $5.8 million?

So actually, now the Spurs have LESS money to spend if Jefferson stayed. See how that works?
    Mid-Level Exception

A team is allowed to sign one player to a contract equal to the average NBA salary, even if the team is over the salary cap already, or if the signing would put them over the cap. This is known as the Mid-level exception (MLE). The MLE may be used on an individual free agent or split among multiple free agents, and is available to any team that exceeds the salary cap at the beginning of the offseason. The Mid-Level Exception for the 2008-09 NBA season was $5.585 million.[2] The MLE is $5.854 million for the 2009-10 NBA regular season.[3]

Do not loose MLE when you go under the cap.

Let's follow the logic:

$56.1 - $51 = $5.1 million of cap space. Because the Spurs are now under the cap, you get NO MID LEVEL EXCEPTION.

The MLE for 2010 is about $5.8 million?

So actually, now the Spurs have LESS money to spend if Jefferson stayed. See how that works?
    Actually, the Spurs can renounce their newfound cap space and get the MLE if it is more convenient, which in this case it would be.

Mid-Level Exception

A team is allowed to sign one player to a contract equal to the average NBA salary, even if the team is over the salary cap already, or if the signing would put them over the cap. This is known as the Mid-level exception (MLE). The MLE may be used on an individual free agent or split among multiple free agents, and is available to any team that exceeds the salary cap at the beginning of the offseason. The Mid-Level Exception for the 2008-09 NBA season was $5.585 million.[2] The MLE is $5.854 million for the 2009-10 NBA regular season.[3]

Do not loose MLE when you go under the cap.
    It doesn't say anything like that. You might be right but it does not say that. I actually think you MIGHT be wrong, i think the MLE (the ability to have one) comes into play right now when FA starts. It is all in the timing.

The question is when is the MLE given out. If it's yesterday or before, then you got lucky. If its as of midnight when FA starts, you didnt.

Quote Originally Posted by ElPigto
    Actually, the Spurs can renounce their newfound cap space and get the MLE if it is more convenient, which in this case it would be.
    or they can sign someone and then still use the MLE to sign another player. Being under the cap does not kill your MLE.

so its same but no RJ expirer to trade which actually is not good (except i can see how a spurs fan would be like YAH, RJ is gone!

no added benefit though...

Very good NBA starter

623 people viewing the "RJ opts out" thread on spurstalk.com, thread is going on 12 pages! alot of mixed feeling and various opinions. I'm disappointed we lost RJ, but if he didn't want to be on the team I don't want him and I don't think anyone else in SA would either.

OK that is true. So essentially the Spurs are in the same boat whether RJ opts in or out.

In other words, RJ leaving does NOT create more cap space. You simply lost a pretty good player without getting any players back.

or they can sign someone and then still use the MLE to sign another player. Being under the cap does not kill your MLE.
    No you can't. You either take the cap room or get the MLE, is either one or the other, not both.

thats actually not what he said at all. he actually said you keep your cap space, OR renounce it and get the MLE. not both. you are implying both, elpigto said the opposite, i dont know...

OK that is true. So essentially the Spurs are in the same boat whether RJ opts in or out.

In other words, RJ leaving does NOT create more cap space. You simply lost a pretty good player without getting any players back.
    But the Spurs have always been cheap. They have always tried to remain under the luxury tax penalty. They were planning on signing Tiago this summer with the MLE anyways and now this will prevent them from having to fork over any money to the league due to tax penalties.

I don't think this necessarily is good for them, however knowing the history of their owner it probably is best for them that Richard opted out. I'm sure they are going to try to trade away Tony Parker away this season, so perhaps they can get a replacement somehow.

before we had no space and the MLE. We had $15m more on the books before this.
    you were in the luxury tax land, now you are not. So if you want a positive, this helps your spurs cash flow, and money saved can be spent later (so maybe they would be more apt to add a long term contract with that MLE than they would ahve been or trade a different expirer for a longer contract.

in terms of opening up additional cap space to help you sign a player, no this did not do that. sorry.

20. How do exceptions count against the cap? Does being under the cap always mean that a team has room to sign free agents? Do teams ever lose their exceptions?

If a team is below the cap, then their Disabled Player, Bi-Annual, Mid-Level and/or Traded Player exceptions are added to their team salary, and the league treats the team as though they are over the cap. This is to prevent a loophole, in a manner similar to free agent amounts (see question numbers 29, 30, 31, 32). A team can't act like they're under the cap and sign free agents using cap room, and then use their Disabled Player, Bi-Annual, Mid-Level and/or Traded Player exceptions. Consequently, the exceptions are added to their team salary (putting the team over the cap) if the team is under the cap and adding the exceptions puts them over the cap. If a team is already over the cap, then the exceptions are not added to their team salary. There would be no point in doing so, since there is no cap room for signing free agents.
    http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q20

There you go iceman in case you don't believe me. I really do try my best to keep up with the CBA.

No you can't. You either take the cap room or get the MLE, is either one or the other, not both.
    Possible your right. I don't know for sure. We will wait and see. I will say it is bad for team moral having a guy make that kind of money and play as shitty as he did. The Bucks did great in getting rid of him. The Spurs front office are most like giddy now that he opted out.
    Steins twitter sums my feelings up
    http://twitter.com/STEIN_LINE_HQ

1987: Spurs win David Robinson lottery. 1997: Spurs win Duncan lottery. 2010: Spurs win lotto again w/R. Jefferson opting out of $15.2 mil

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q20

There you go iceman in case you don't believe me. I really do try my best to keep up with the CBA.
    Like I said I do not know for sure. Still thrilled to have him gone.