Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: How is Allen Iverson More Selfish Than Kobe?

I disagree with this part. Lakers lost to the better team in 03...which was defintely the spurs. Can't just blame Kobe for that series.
    I'm talking against the Pistons who weren't the better team. Instead of getting the ball to Shaq and winning like they should have he gunned. As if that wasn't enough he demanded they get rid of Shaq so they could go to the lottery and first round playoff losses so he could get scoring records.

You're one of those posters, probably watched Kobe in the finals this year and made up your mind about how selfish he was all season
    I made up my mind against the Pistons and everything he has done since.

NBA lottery pick

if that wasn't enough he demanded they get rid of Shaq so they could go to the lottery and first round playoff losses so he could get scoring records.
    Really? Because I thought it was Shaq that demanded a trade from the Lakers...I am not going to entertain this little fiasco.

Its pretty obvious where the agenda is.

Kobe demanded that Shaq go from what I know. Where's the agenda? That Kobe doesn't live up to the hype?

Serious playground baller nicknamefrank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
    Kobe demanded that Shaq go from what I know. Where's the agenda? That Kobe doesn't live up to the hype?
    well that is what everyone assumes, and it definitely has some basis. but when the laker insider said the same thing, kobe sorta quite pretty upset last year.

Upset like when they didn't trade Bynum for Kidd or Jermaine O'Neal. LMAO!

shhhhhhh

Iverson is not more selfish than kobe... it just appears that way because he has not learned that dribbling is not a stat.

i don't consider either of them selfish, they both can and do take over games but that's what they are paid for, they are elite level players who are better than most the players on the court on any given night, they should be taking those shots they should be dictating the game... it keeps the defenses honest, it keeps them afraid... if kobe or AI only took shots when they were wide open then they'd be real easy to contain, it's because they take difficult shots and make them when others pass up those types of shots that makes them elite, it makes them dangerous...
    as tex winter said when asked about kobe's shot selection (i'll paraphrase) his shot selection is fine because he makes those shots, what is a bad shot for most players is an OK shot for kobe.

last year kobe only shot no quite 1 times more per game but AI had 2 more assists per game, so that tells us he's just touching the ball more... he does spend more time dribbling around then kobe, but that's his style, poke and attack..kobe is more of an off the ball get into position to attack then get the ball and strike, alot of that is because the triangle is a passing system, you can move the ball aroud faster by passing

otherwise they are fairly close in ther numbers, kobe's better in some areas, iverson is better in others...

two different games by two very different players in very different systems with similar outcomes...
    Last edited by gts; 09-22-2008 at 12:43 AM.

i don't consider either of them selfish, they both can and do take over games but that's what they are paid for, they are elite level players who are better than most the players on the court on any given night, they should be taking those shots they should be dictating the game... it keeps the defenses honest, it keeps them afraid... if kobe or AI only took shots when they were wide open then they'd be real easy to contain, it's because they take difficult shots and make them when others pass up those types of shots that makes them elite, it makes them dangerous...
    as tex winter said when asked about kobe's shot selection (i'll paraphrase) his shot selection is fine because he makes those shots, what is a bad shot for most players is an OK shot for kobe.
    Take a look at AI's shooting %'s especially from 2 and 3 and tell me he should he should be throwing up prayers. Lebron led the league in scoring last year but unlike Kobe and AI he's as unselfish as they come.

shhhhhhh

Take a look at AI's shooting %'s especially from 2 and 3 and tell me he should he should be throwing up prayers. Lebron led the league in scoring last year but unlike Kobe and AI he's as unselfish as they come.
    lebron shoots more than kobe and AI.. and he's worse from behind the arc

besides the thread is kobe and ai not kobe, lebron and ai
    Last edited by gts; 09-22-2008 at 12:44 AM.

Good college starter EricForman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gts

besides the thread is kobe and ai not kobe, lebron and ai
    the amount of shots taken does not determine how selfish one is.

Only shot shot under 30% once as a rookie. Kobe and AI both have on more than one occasion. When you shoot 47 to 48% and can get to the hole at will you should be shooting.

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by EricForman
    the amount of shots taken does not determine how selfish one is.
    i never said it did, if you go back and read my post you'll notice that i said neither one of them is selfish, that they should be shooting the ball because that's what they get paid for, that's what is expected of them from the coaching staff

High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by EricForman
    I dont think most of us on ISH believes Iverson to be selfish.

Well, generally, most undersized shoot-first, ball dominating guards are bad news for team success because that's not a good formula for winning basketball. But Iverson's heart, determination and will somehow allows him to break the mold... to a certain extent. He's more valuable than a Arenas or a Marbury because of that.

But the fact sitll remains his game is nearly impossible to build around.

Kobe is definitely more "selfish" than Iverson. But Kobe's game doesn't require him to dominate the ball as much. Kobe has a post game--which can result in doubles and him kicking it out to open shooter. Because of Kobe's superior physical gifts (mainly height), he is allowed to be a more efficient player and do things Iverson can never do. That's just fact. It's unfair, because if Iverson was taller, then perhaps he too, can change his game to be more efficient. But he's not taller he will never develope the efficiency that taller wing players--if playing the game wisely--can develop in their games.
    This.

National High School Star

Whats your point?
    AI would have led the league in scoring this year if he didnt have Melo on his team.
    Last year
    AI's 3point%>LeBron's 3 point%
    LeBron's 2point %>AI's 2 point%

National High School Star gpfanz's Avatar

i disagree. I think both of them are equally selfish

Not airballing my layups anymore

Honestly I think they are equally selfish, but that Allen Iverson comes off worse because he has a tendency to over-dribble the ball. Also, Kobe Bryant has shown he can play unselfishly when needed (LA's 3-peat, last year), while Allen Iverson has shown stretches but has not done it consistently.