Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Is Anyone Else Here Into British Comedy?

Is anyone of you guys on here into the British comedy? There's a ton of great British comedy sitcoms I've been watching recent and I'm curious if any of you guys on here into it.

My favorite British comedians are David Mitchell, Lee Mack, Miranda Hart and Rob Brydon.

Some of the British sitcoms I've watched are:

The Office - Just a great series. Way better than the US version.

Miranda - Really great sitcom about a tall female who doesn't fit in with the rest of the world. She works at a prank shop and is constantly disappointing her mother.

The IT Crowd - This is probably my favorite British sitcom. It's the daily lives of 3 employees: Maurice Moss, Roy Trenneman and Jen Barber who work in a basement which is the IT office of the company. Jen is the head of the IT department and she has no knowledge about anything IT related. Moss and Roy take advantage of her lack of IT knowledge and tell her things which make her look like an idiot often.

Friday Night Dinner - This a sitcom that revolves around the Friday night dinner of a Jewish family called the Goodmans who are always at the table ready to eat dinner when their neighbor Jim rings the bell of their door.

In With the Flynns - Horrible. Not really funny.

Not Going Out - This revolves around 2 roommates who live together, Lee and Lucy. There's also Tim who's Lucy's brother and Lee's best friend. Tim also has a girlfriend called Daisy who is really dumb and it's hilarious. Lee obviously likes Lucy, but he's never been open about it and Lee's always getting into a lot of trouble which Lucy always has to find a way to help him out of it.

Bad Education - This is a sitcom that revolves in a high school class which has a young teacher who's not very mature and acts like the age of his students.

Citizen Khan - A lot of people don't like this, but I think it's pretty funny. It's a about a Muslim Pakistani family who lives in Birmingham. Mr. Khan who is the man of the family is always getting caught in a lot of problems and situations.

Red Dwarf - I've only seen the last 2 seasons, but it's a Star Trek comedy type sitcom.

Peep Show - A hilarious sitcom about the daily lives of 2 best friends who live together: Mark and Jeremy. Mark works at an office, while Jeremy or Jez is a musician who plays in a band a does a lot of drugs and women. They're 2 totally different people who live together and everything is always going wrong for them.

Moone Boy - A sitcom that revolves around a little kid: Martin Moone and his imaginary friend: Sean Murphy. His family is always caught up in situation which Martin is involved in and he relies on his imaginary friend to talk to who's almost always with him.

I'm currently watching Grandma's House and it's really funny.

There's other highly recommended recent sitcoms that I've read are really good, but haven't watched like The Thick of It and the Inbetweeners, but I'll probably watch them at some point.

There's a ton of British comedy on panel shows. The only panel show I've actually watched though is Would I Lie to You? which has David Mitchell and Lee Mack as opponents of different teams with 2 other people on their teams. Rob Brydon is the host of the show. Each team has a card with a statement and they have to make it sound as true or fake possible and the other teams can ask questions about the statement and then has to decide if it's true or false. The team with the most correct answers wins.

There's other highly recommended panel shows like Have I Got News For You, 8 Out of 10 Cats, Never Mind the Buzzcocks and QI which most recent series I'm currently downloading, but I haven't properly watched them yet.

So yeah, sorry for the long post, but I'm curious as to whether you guys like this stuff or anything along those lines.

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Default Re: Is Anyone Else Here Into British Comedy?

Peep Show is probably the best comedy show of the last 10 years. I'm watching Fresh Meat at the moment which was created by the same guys and it has Joe Thomas from the inbetweeners in it.

Have you seen Lead Balloon? I thought that was pretty good too, it is sort of a cross between extras and curb, except without the celebrity guest appearances.

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    Peep Show is probably the best comedy show of the last 10 years. I'm watching Fresh Meat at the moment which was created by the same guys and it has Joe Thomas from the inbetweeners in it.

Have you seen Lead Balloon? I thought that was pretty good too, it is sort of a cross between extras and curb, except without the celebrity guest appearances.
    Guess I'm going to have to check this show out.

   

QI, Monty Python, Father Ted, Yes Minister, Whose Line Is it Anyway, Black Adder, Fawlty Towers, Doctor Who (commonly mistaken as sci-fi), Benny Hill.

There's also an interesting show I keep meaning to watch called Peep Show...

EDIT: hah, beaten to the punch.

Quote Originally Posted by Is He Ill
    Guess I'm going to have to check this show out.
    It is kind of polarizing. I know plenty of people who don't like it, but the people who do like it LOVE IT!

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

Nothing current, but I used to like Red Dwarf, Are you being served, really liked Blackadder.

It is kind of polarizing. I know plenty of people who don't like it, but the people who do like it LOVE IT!
    I just finished watching the first two episodes and they were hilarious.

Awesome, it only gets better from there!

Banned

does Top Gear count? they're not comedians but the show can be funny

I've never seen Fresh Meat, but I've read of it on comedy.co.uk and it seems interesting.

I've never heard of Lead Ballon.

I'll check them out when I go through all the series I already got lined up to watch. Thanks for the rec. tho.

Quote Originally Posted by senelcoolidge
    Nothing current, but I used to like Red Dwarf, Are you being served, really liked Blackadder.
    I've seen the last 2 seasons of Red Dwarf. They're really good, specially season 10.

The show just picks up from there. You'll like every episode of it if you liked what you saw on the first 2.

Here's some gifs and screens from some of my favorite British comedy sitcoms and panel shows:

Jim from the last episode of season 2 of Friday Night Dinner:

Frankie Boyle on Would I Lie to You:

Reginald D. Hunter on Would I Lie to You:

David Mitchell on Would I Lie to You:

Lee Mack from his stand up Going Out Live:

Here's a couple more.

Daisy from Not Going Out:

Jen from the IT Crowd:

Moss from the IT Crowd:

Big Train, Green wing, The League Of Gentlemen, Little Britain. All must see.

Weirdest characters ever, specially league of gentlemen.

Classic:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-V6Xvvbo3o

Rivalries Never Die Faptastrophe's Avatar

This is British Comedy at its finest

http://youtu.be/THNPmhBl-8I

Self-Conscious Nazis

http://youtu.be/JEle_DLDg9Y

The Inebriati

http://youtu.be/-Zj50DmBFp0

The Surprising Adventures of Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

http://youtu.be/7jKr3Dq0uVw

Agent Suave

http://youtu.be/Bu5kX2hwDgk

Banana Dance

http://youtu.be/imZyvDN99lA

---
    That's numberwang!

http://youtu.be/ab8GtuPdrUQ

I've seen a lot of comments that universally love British comedies. I love Spaced, The Inbetweeners, Extras, That Mitchell and Webb Look, The Ricky Gervais Show, Peep Show, etc. And of course there's Monty Python.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin
    I've never seen Fresh Meat, but I've read of it on comedy.co.uk and it seems interesting.

I've never heard of Lead Ballon.

I'll check them out when I go through all the series I already got lined up to watch. Thanks for the rec. tho.
    Yeah if you like those other shows you should enjoy both of them. Robert Webb also has a semi-regular character on Fresh Meat too.

I'm going to check out Friday night dinner.

Also have you seen Ricky Gervais' Life's Too Short and Derek? Both are hilarious, Derek is only a pilot but it has been picked up for an entire season. Also Stephen Merchant has a show coming out soon Hello Ladies.

Only Fools and Horses