Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bobcats #4 pick

Default Re: Bobcats #4 pick

Quote Originally Posted by treadster
    a hard day to be a bobcats fan
    ... are you on board with me and ukballer thinking letting Noel slip away was a bonehead move by front office management?

I mean think about it: there's certainly that consistent all-star perhaps even "superstar" potential in Nerlens Noel ... and we passed that up for someone primarily based on the fact he's a seven-footer. I'm just not understanding the logic behind such a high draft pick.

If this were a # 8 - 12 pick, and Cody Zeller is still on the board, OK I can see the logic; after all, one of our biggest weaknesses right now is not having a legit center. The Zeller pick fills that void, but with a Top 5 pick, you have to be thinking about a caliber player with at least "some" superstar potential!

Dwayne Wade was selected at what # 5 right? Yes, I realize the 2004 NBA Draft was a special draft class, but come on, if you could only name one single player in this year's draft that had "superstar potential" written all over them, wouldn't it be Nerlens Noel? It's sure as hell NOT Cody Zellar.

I mean the ultimate nightmare is this Nerlens Noel dude advances let's say 3-5 years into the league, and he makes the 76ers (or whoever he's playing for) a title contender. Is this likely, I'd say no, not just him being a single player having that high of an impact, but it's certainly within the realm of being a possibility. Anything well beyond the "potential" of a single player named Cody Zeller. At best, Cody Zeller makes a couple all-star appearances within his career; mainly by default for obvious reasons.

Is Nerlens Noel the next Carmello Anthony, a more apples/oranges comparison in D.Wade or the next Chris Bosh, honestly, I doubt it, but honestly, it surely wouldn't surprise me if he did. If we as a franchise are going to take risks, we should damn sure be taking the ones that make the most sense. This was a Top 5 pick! I feel like it's Adam Morrison all over again, and the crazy thing is, Adam Morrison had way more hype around him than this Cody Zeller kid!
    Last edited by Legend of Josh; 06-28-2013 at 07:38 AM.

It just sickens me when franchises in general seemingly accept mediocrity. It's why I dislike the Milwaukee Bucks so much, just as an example. Meaning no disrespect to the city or the franchise, but they're not a big draw when it comes to free agency targets. Yet instead of building through the draft, they sign mid-level talent to higher level contracts (S-Jax, Maggette, Jefferson, Monta are instantly names that come to mind), and just sit on the outside, or just inside the playoff spots, never any better. I'm not condoning tanking, but they rarely move out of their comfort zone. I know Charlotte is a different situation, but I'm talking more mediocrity in general.

We were all pissed when we 'only' got the #4 pick. Never in our right mind did we think Noel would slip to us, and even McLemore or Len until a few weeks ago. As mentioned elsewhere by someone here I think, Zeller is the 'safe' option. I don't see all-star games in his future, in fact I just see a solid role player in the making. Where's the upside? But I don't understand why the Bobcats of all franchises would not take a chance on drafting Noel based on the potential being touted around. If it doesn't work out in regards to Noel becoming an all-star, I'm sure Noel will still be an impact player at least defensively. I don't see what makes Zeller the more attractive option over Noel, even with Noel barely out of crutches.

This kind of unwillingness for a lowly franchise to take an opportunity like this when it falls right into their lap will only hold them back throughout the years.
    Last edited by ukballer; 06-28-2013 at 12:15 PM.

i'm gonna have to disagree with you guys; i think zeller is a fantastic pick. i know a lot of people are on the noel train, but i don't think he can contribute much to this team. we drafted by need . if there's one thing the bobcats need it's a low post scorer and zeller has by far the best post game in the draft. i don't remember the last time the bobcats had a big that could iso with his back to the basket and score consistently. okafor was okay at it but zeller's going to be better

on top of that, he's a pretty good defender too and a hustle guy. i think he's a lock for first team all rookie and should be in contention for ROY. maybe i'm overrating the guy but i think he'll be fantastic for us

i don't see the "nerlens noel potential superstar" stuff. i know it's a pretty common opinion but i just really don't see it. he has no post game at all and almost all of his buckets are on putbacks. he has potential to be a legit rim protector but if bismack biyombo fulfills his potential he should be able to fill that role. bottom line is the bobcats need offense, specifically low post offense, and zeller provides that better than any big in the draft

we're all just waiting for wiggins to come to charlotte anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Quizno
    i'm gonna have to disagree with you guys; i think zeller is a fantastic pick. i know a lot of people are on the noel train, but i don't think he can contribute much to this team. we drafted by need . if there's one thing the bobcats need it's a low post scorer and zeller has by far the best post game in the draft. i don't remember the last time the bobcats had a big that could iso with his back to the basket and score consistently. okafor was okay at it but zeller's going to be better

on top of that, he's a pretty good defender too and a hustle guy. i think he's a lock for first team all rookie and should be in contention for ROY. maybe i'm overrating the guy but i think he'll be fantastic for us

i don't see the "nerlens noel potential superstar" stuff. i know it's a pretty common opinion but i just really don't see it. he has no post game at all and almost all of his buckets are on putbacks. he has potential to be a legit rim protector but if bismack biyombo fulfills his potential he should be able to fill that role. bottom line is the bobcats need offense, specifically low post offense, and zeller provides that better than any big in the draft

we're all just waiting for wiggins to come to charlotte anyway
    I'm starting to come around to this thinking myself. It took awhile to pick my jaw up off the ground last night but now it's making more sense. Noel slipped to 6 because word on the street is that his injury might be career-breaking, ala Greg Oden. McLemore is gonna be a star but we already have Hendo. We needed a big and the 2 left were Len and Zeller. Both have their pros and cons but Len just had ankle surgery which can be problematic for a big guy. Zeller was the safe pick. As a result the Cats didn't extend a qualifying offer to Mullens, so Cody is our guy. I hope Ewing can toughen him up.

Banned

I actually think it was an excellent pick. With Kemba, Hendo (hopefully), MKG and Bismack as the starters, he's the only guy available that would fit with this group.

Personally I think Len, Noel and McLemore are very overrated prospects. Len is a good scorer and pretty bad at everything else, Noel is a good shot-blocker, from what I saw he wasn't an amazing defender, he was just good & I really don't get all the hype around McLemore, he seems like a good 2/3 option or 6th man at BEST and I don't see his floor being too high.

Given what we KNOW about Zeller; He can rebound, score from the post, step out and hit 10-12 footers, run the floor and play above-average D- I'd say he was the best available option.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one I think, I really would have liked us to take a chance and see if we could extract this potential being touted for a Noel, Len or McLemore. Totally respect and get what you're saying about Zeller though. Time to move on and support the guys we have, hoping Zeller has a great career with Charlotte!

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasket...e_signs_1.html

I don't know much about this guy, does he have a shot at making the opening day roster?

#Dre Day in Sac Town andremiller07's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ukballer

I don't know much about this guy, does he have a shot at making the opening day roster?
    Right handed Delonte West with better character, I really liked him and I was sure he would be a 2nd round pick loved watching him in college. He's got good size and is a jack of all trades but a master of none, could be a decent back up combo or PG.

Sorry to lurk your team board like this, but it isn't so bad. If you guys suck again this year, you will likely land a far bigger impact player who will turn your club around next year. Not even Jordan can fcuk up picking Wiggins at #1

Quote Originally Posted by poido123
    Sorry to lurk your team board like this, but it isn't so bad. If you guys suck again this year, you will likely land a far bigger impact player who will turn your club around next year. Not even Jordan can fcuk up picking Wiggins at #1
    I'm just not entirely sold on the NBA lottery system truly being a lottery. I can't see David Stern allowing an impact player the caliber of Wiggins going to Charlotte; meaning we're not getting a # 1 pick. It's amazing we have never had a # 1 pick so far. Wasn't Morrison our highest pick ever, at # 3? We've made the playoffs once, and more often than not we're among the league's worst of the worst. Yet, no # 1 pick, ever. How often does Sacramento get the # 1 pick either, even though they've had dozens of horrific seasons.

#Dre Day in Sac Town andremiller07's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Legend of Josh
    Yet, no # 1 pick, ever. How often does Sacramento get the # 1 pick either, even though they've had dozens of horrific seasons.
    Highest pick we got recently was #4 and that was Tyreke I think

Quote Originally Posted by Legend of Josh
    I'm just not entirely sold on the NBA lottery system truly being a lottery. I can't see David Stern allowing an impact player the caliber of Wiggins going to Charlotte; meaning we're not getting a # 1 pick. It's amazing we have never had a # 1 pick so far. Wasn't Morrison our highest pick ever, at # 3? We've made the playoffs once, and more often than not we're among the league's worst of the worst. Yet, no # 1 pick, ever. How often does Sacramento get the # 1 pick either, even though they've had dozens of horrific seasons.
    Except Stern isnt running the show anymore. You guys will get better next year, but I dont see it this year.

Except Stern isnt running the show anymore. You guys will get better next year, but I dont see it this year.
    So if not this year, which year? Next year, the year thereafter? Do you think we'll land Wiggins? Do you think the lottery system is legit? These are some vital questions (especially the latter one) that will either make or break our franchise. Honestly, I feel if we tanked the season, finished 10-72, and next worst record in the league is say Sacramento, 20-62 - with ___% chance of getting the # 1 pick - I just don't see us getting that pick.

I don't think a system like the NFL is the answer either - because you literally would have teams "tanking" seasons in order to acquire very high draft picks. No other league does a single player have as much of an impact in the league as the NBA. There'd virtually be a playoff season at the end of the regular season to see who can lose the most games once their mathematically eliminated from post season contention.

I'm probably just being paranoid with my conspiracy theory on the lottery system not being legit - but am I alone in thinking? Do some, any of you all, feel/believe the NBA's lottery system isn't a fair and just system? I know I can't be entirely alone on this. Am I?

... and what ... what do you mean "Stern isn't running the show anymore" ? Did I miss something? I he no longer league commissioner?

* a quick interesting fact that I just discovered on wiki looking up info on Stern; he's a member of the highly controversial group Council on Foreign Relations. I found this LOL worthy, and honestly, not entirely surprising. I think some folks just don't realize just how influential and powerful the NBA is on much of the world's youth; and is only gaining ground in this regard.

Isn't it predicted that at some point in the distant future, basketball will surpass soccer/football as the world's most popular sport? We all know it's booming in China and South America. It'll take much more work in Europe and even Latin America to catch up to soccer, but it's not out of the realm of possibility, is it?

IMO, basketball just seems more like a natural fit to be the world's one true "universal sport" ... it's the perfect sport. True basketball nuts stand up and agree!

Last edited by Legend of Josh; 06-30-2013 at 02:28 AM.

Not your average OWL onewickedlady's Avatar

If, as lots of folks agree, the refereeing is fixed, then why would the Lottery be any more or less legit?

Lebron ditches Cleveland and they get 2 #1 picks in 3 years. A new owner emerges in New Orleans to take that franchise off the NBA books and they get the #1 pick. Coincidence? Who knows? But if it is fixed then next year would be the perfect time for the Hornets' rebirth in the league to get the #1 pick. It would be a win-win for the league.