Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

Default Re: Where Americans are moving to. Guess what state has 3 of the top 5?

How are you guys determining what makes one city more liberal than another?

Austin is a college town full of liberal college kids...it would be liberal in any state.

Also, I'm a Dallas homer, I don't even care for Houston...Austin I do like but not because it is in Texas...Texas is fckin enormous, its like 4 states to me.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-

Austin is a college town full of liberal college kids...it would be liberal in any state.

Also, I'm a Dallas homer, I don't even care for Houston...Austin I do like but not because it is in Texas...Texas is fckin enormous, its like 4 states to me.
    austin has 50k college kids in a CITY of 800k. That is not a college town like AA or Iowa City, etc.

again, its quite liberal, but as an outsider who moved to texas, much of that is by contrast to the rest of the state. No way its more liberal than almost every coastal city in Cali and the Northwest.

I went to a school that had probably 20k students in a city with a population around 80k. I don't know how liberal the town was, but 1 in 4 people were drunk.

OP should've put "Where Hispanics are moving to."

CA only appears to be on the decline because they want to hold on to all the high income property as well as create more. White people are moving back into compton (and South Central in general) while others are leaving CA because they can't afford it. Before you know it they'll all be trying to move back.

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    austin has 50k college kids in a CITY of 800k. That is not a college town like AA or Iowa City, etc.

again, its quite liberal, but as an outsider who moved to texas, much of that is by contrast to the rest of the state. No way its more liberal than almost every coastal city in Cali and the Northwest.
    The rest of the city IS liberal though, not just the college kids...it is a music city as well, the music life there is found all over.

It's not like it is some college kids mixed in with conservative rednecks at all...the entire city is liberal as fck...and just because the state capital is there means nothing either, any republicans working there doesn't seep into the cities clubs, restaurants, general feel, etc.

How I feel in ur head maybeshewill13's Avatar

After my recent US trip if I was moving anywhere city wise, it would be Portland, Seattle, San Francisco or New York.

Tampa/St. Pete here.

The Summers are brutal, and it always seems like the weirdest shit that you see on the news takes place here, but this is a great place to live. Having great beaches, pro sports, and tons to do makes it a very desireable area.

______________________ Balla_Status's Avatar

OP is a ch[COLOR="Black"]in[/COLOR]ky fa[COLOR="black"]g[/COLOR]got. Needs to get the **** out of Texas.

**** all the messicans that live in Texas and the black people can get the hell out too. GO BACK TO YOUR COUNTRY.

^^^^What Loneshot thinks all texans are.

He acts like Central California doesn't exist or anything.

Austin has more appeal than Dallas to NYers. Dallas is very upscale. Houston is where the jobs are at and needs a public transit system of some kind. It will have a bigger population than NY in a few years time. Book it.

Texas is a conservative and business friendly state...California is very liberal and not as business friendly. And Texas has lots of jobs. Coincidence? I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
    I could never live in cities that big, but I've heard awesome things about Houston and would love to go the Livestock Show & Rodeo one year. Looks like a blast. Same with Dallas and SA, never heard anyone who has been there say a bad word about them. I'm in the process of getting my visa for work and if it goes through, I'd be down in Odessa area, so it would be cool to check these cities out on my days off.
    West Texas blows man but it's booming. Lot of rich cougars though...

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    Lots of great things about Texas but Im not sure Id want to raise a child there considering the reputation of its public schools.
    Move to a suburb of Dallas/Houston/Austin/SA dude...you'll be fine.

The sheer SIZE of Texas blows me away. I heard from one end to the other on I-10, it's 800 miles. That's roughly 4/5th of my total drive time when I travel from Tampa to Ohio. All in ONE state.

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    as usual, prime is blinded by homerism. and really, maher, a libertarian is who you choose to show how liberal austin is?

Now, Austin is liberal, but very far from being the most liberal city in the US. It sticks out because it is in Texas.
    lol @ Bill Maher being a libertarian.

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-

Austin is pretty liberal...I've been to San Fran, Berkeley as well. Pretty comparable imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Balla_Status
    Houston is where the jobs are at and needs a public transit system of some kind. It will have a bigger population than NY in a few years time. Book it.

Define a few years.