Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Ridiculous numbers I heard about the WNBA (salaries)

Quote Originally Posted by RoseCity07
    I'd rather pay to watch a bunch of hot girls who suck at basketball than the WNBA where the girls just all cluster f*ck in the paint and go for lay ups. Most boring thing ever.
    Yeh they have such bad jumpers I don't know if their boobs get in the way or whatever I mean I thought skill was something that is trained, so theoretically girls should have just as good jumpers as the guys, yet everytime I watch a WNBA game all I see is a bunch of wideopen jumpers clanking off the front of the rim. Then I turn it off after 5 minutes, if I wanted to watch jwideopen umpers clank off the rim I'd just take my ball to the park and shoot it myself.

WNBA is done for. I LOVE Basketball, and I can't even watch a whole game.

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    Jobs that are not in revenue generating situations don't get paid as much.

Unless you work for Ford or GM.

Local High School Star

they only play like 2 months out of the year, thats damn good imo. regular people are out here earning 30k a year working 40 hours a week, 52 weeks a year.

Moose
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Even Mengke Batee made more doe in a season.

Grammar Nazi

Your school must contain some really sucky players then, no offense. Seriously - the wnba makes no money. So to argue about equal pay to the men is ridiculous. Salaries are driven by revenue, of which then wnba has NEGATIVE revenue. it costs people money to have these games go on.

and secondly, i used to play all the time at marine park, and we had females from big east college teams come and play with the high school boys, and the better high school boys who played in the park (a lot of which didn't even play on their teams) had no trouble keeping up with the girls, and some the girls had trouble with simply because of the boys size. Men are bigger, stronger and more athletic. God did this, not someone playing favorites.

the wnba is a bad product that not enough people want to see for it to be viable. you cant ask people to subsidize businesses in order for women to be able to play basketball.
    Uh, not really.
    Ha.
    I just grew up playing basketball with boys instead of girls. I learned to be tough, take a charge, and not be one of those whiny annoying girls who shoot above their head.
    A couple years ago, when I was really into playing basketball I was a eighth grader and every day of the summer I would play for at least 3 hours, and run at least ten miles, not stopping once. My freshman year, during basketball season, I was a varsity girls captain and I worked my ass off to become a better player. Nonetheless, I went to practically the worst high school for girls basketball so we didn't have a good record, but I was also invited to play for the Oregon City Girls (if you haven't heard of them, they are one of the best girls basketball teams in the nation). Needless to say, I couldn't afford to be driven to Oregon City every day after school, and my parents refused to move. I'm not trying to boast, I'm just trying to prove a point.

Girls aren't always worse than guys when it comes to the game. It's far too judgmental to figure that guys are "bigger, faster, stronger" than females and better at sports.

Males just need to tone their egos down a little bit, especially when their sports fanatics.

20 bucks says Candice Parker would KILL every single one of you egotistical males here at a one on one game.

If females had 'trouble' at the park you used to play at, then it was their fault. They didn't learn from their mistakes or try to adapt to the environment they were playing in. Not all girls make that mistake. The majority, yes. But definitely not all.

Quote Originally Posted by Younggrease
    OK retard...where did I say its unfair...never said such a thing. wow this forum is on the decline
    you said the women are underpaid. No, they are not. They get paid thousands of dollars to play basketball for a league that loses millions of dollars a year. it's in it's 13th year, and its weaker and has a smaller fanbase that ever. and yet, they still get paid 40k and up for a 3 month gig that loses millions of dollars for its owners. its charity.

Fantasy Forum Mod haterofhaters's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by omarnyc
    they only play like 2 months out of the year, thats damn good imo. regular people are out here earning 30k a year working 40 hours a week, 52 weeks a year.
    There are NBA players that don't play at all that make anything from 4-500k to 20+ million.

Quote Originally Posted by LaydVik05
    Uh, not really.
    Ha.
    I just grew up playing basketball with boys instead of girls. I learned to be tough, take a charge, and not be one of those whiny annoying girls who shoot above their head.
    A couple years ago, when I was really into playing basketball I was a eighth grader and every day of the summer I would play for at least 3 hours, and run at least ten miles, not stopping once. My freshman year, during basketball season, I was a varsity girls captain and I worked my ass off to become a better player. Nonetheless, I went to practically the worst high school for girls basketball so we didn't have a good record, but I was also invited to play for the Oregon City Girls (if you haven't heard of them, they are one of the best girls basketball teams in the nation). Needless to say, I couldn't afford to be driven to Oregon City every day after school, and my parents refused to move. I'm not trying to boast, I'm just trying to prove a point.

Girls aren't always worse than guys when it comes to the game. It's far too judgmental to figure that guys are "bigger, faster, stronger" than females and better at sports.

Males just need to tone their egos down a little bit, especially when their sports fanatics.

20 bucks says Candice Parker would KILL every single one of you egotistical males here at a one on one game.

If females had 'trouble' at the park you used to play at, then it was their fault. They didn't learn from their mistakes or try to adapt to the environment they were playing in. Not all girls make that mistake. The majority, yes. But definitely not all.
    the majority. NOT ONE wnba player could make an nba roster. Not one at all. this is not a question if there are talented female basketball players. this is a question if women can play at a level people will pay to watch enough to support a viable league. the answer is NO.

i fully believe you are good, i also fully believe some 16 yr old who is 6 feet and 200 pounds probably could physically pound you in a game. I've seen much more skilled girls outmuscled. That's why the college girls come down to play with the guys,because they give them an equal game to the girls.

the question is and remains are wnba players underpaid and teh answer will always be an unequivocable NO because the service they provide doesn't make money.

Let's say you want a slice of pizza. The store down the street sells for $2. I work harder than them, so i will charge $3. You should buy from me. Will you? NO. You'll buy whatever you like and that sets the price.

To say WNBA players are underpaid makes no sense to me. They aren't providing a needed service, they are entertainers who have no one asking for them to entertain them.

Mathius point was a great point. Are the guys playing in your driveway underpaid? They probably are more so than the WNBA people because at least them playing doesn't ahve overhead.

Quote Originally Posted by haterofhaters
    There are NBA players that don't play at all that make anything from 4-500k to 20+ million.
    you can't pick the one example that works and use it to justify a different point. the fact that Marbury is overpaid doesn't mean wnba players are underpaid. the person next to you could be a genius, that doesn't make you an idiot.

are nba players overpaid? the way the league is drawing, yes some are and some are not. on average probably not as they populate a business that makes a good amount of money.

are wnba players underpaid? on average, NO becaues they are populating a business that looses tons of money.

NBA sixth man of the year picc84's Avatar

Can someone present a business model by which taking into account money debited versus money credited WNBA players are in fact underpaid?

That the league loses millions of dollars every year in itself should be tantamount to the opposite and any other organization that was independently operated, instead of subsidized by a larger org. willing to and capable of absorbing significant financial losses, would have bankrupted or folded by now.

Please give a business model logically and credibly proving that WNBA players are underpaid.

Quote Originally Posted by BankShot
    Its like ISH is a breeding ground for ignorance.... wait a minute Ignorance Spawning Hole

Anyways, maybe just women that like basketball??

Or maybe parents of daughters who are into basketball that would rather have their daughters watching players who actually relish the opportunity to be role models, instead of players making a big shot and "juggling their balls" (Cassell, Kobe, Odom).

Just because you'd rather watch the NBA than the WNBA doesn't mean that everyone has the same preference. Personally, I've never watched a WNBA game in my life but there's still a place for it without getting bullsh*t from people like you.
    Relax buddy, it was a joke. I'm sorry you took it so seriously. Is your mom a butch lesbian or something? Sounded like it hit a nerve

Quote Originally Posted by picc84
    Can someone present a business model by which taking into account money debited versus money credited WNBA players are in fact underpaid?

That the league loses millions of dollars every year in itself should be tantamount to the opposite and any other organization that was independently operated, instead of subsidized by a larger org. willing to and capable of absorbing significant financial losses, would have bankrupted or folded by now.

Please give a business model logically and credibly proving that WNBA players are underpaid.
    the problem is people are using the nba business model for the wnba. the wnba business model is similar to my daughter's business model when she wants a new doll, ask daddy for money. (and she's not underpaid)

the majority. NOT ONE wnba player could make an nba roster. Not one at all. this is not a question if there are talented female basketball players. this is a question if women can play at a level people will pay to watch enough to support a viable league. the answer is NO.

i fully believe you are good, i also fully believe some 16 yr old who is 6 feet and 200 pounds probably could physically pound you in a game. I've seen much more skilled girls outmuscled. That's why the college girls come down to play with the guys,because they give them an equal game to the girls.

the question is and remains are wnba players underpaid and teh answer will always be an unequivocable NO because the service they provide doesn't make money.

Let's say you want a slice of pizza. The store down the street sells for $2. I work harder than them, so i will charge $3. You should buy from me. Will you? NO. You'll buy whatever you like and that sets the price.

To say WNBA players are underpaid makes no sense to me. They aren't providing a needed service, they are entertainers who have no one asking for them to entertain them.

Mathius point was a great point. Are the guys playing in your driveway underpaid? They probably are more so than the WNBA people because at least them playing doesn't ahve overhead.
    I think I remember Steve Kerr saying how he would get schooled by some chick named Cynthia Cooper, she was supposed to be the MJ of WNBA. How tough was Steve Kerr exactly? It's not like he was known for his defense, he was great as a spot up shooter, that was his role. While I do believe that no woman would make it in the NBA, I wouldn't be so sexist as to say it isn't possible

Fantasy Forum Mod haterofhaters's Avatar

you can't pick the one example that works and use it to justify a different point. the fact that Marbury is overpaid doesn't mean wnba players are underpaid. the person next to you could be a genius, that doesn't make you an idiot.

are nba players overpaid? the way the league is drawing, yes some are and some are not. on average probably not as they populate a business that makes a good amount of money.

are wnba players underpaid? on average, NO becaues they are populating a business that looses tons of money.
    If you actually read my posts, you'd see that there was only one place where I gave my opinion and was stating my point.

The thread itself was merely just throwing out there somethinging that I read and found interesting.

The part that I started debating about was people saying that NBA players are worth what they are getting paid. IMO, even the best of the best, (Kobe, Duncan, whoever else) don't deserve 20+ million to put a ball in a hoop. Period. Pretty much phsyical fitness is getting rewarded infinite amounts more than hard work and physical (non-athletic) and mental labor that people slave at night in and night out, 40+ hours a week.