Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Riggin' for Wiggins! Chamberlain's Avatar

Default Re: Jonas Valanciunas expected to sign contract with Toronto Raptors

It may take him a season or two to average the kind of numbers we'd like him to have, but as bokes said, as long as he doesn't look out of place this year, learns, defends and shows signs of improvement during the year, I think the majority of us would be very okay with that.

If he were to average 10/10/2 this year, I'd be ecstatic. 10RPG and 2BPG as a rookie is amazing.

10/7/1.5

think somewhere between Marcus Camby and Tyson Chandler rookie season.

Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote Originally Posted by clipse

TAKE THAT ICELAND!!!!

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Val's biggest issue will be staying on the floor. If he can do that, then I think he can be productive. Foul trouble has plagued him throughout his development up until last year but then he ran into it again in the recent qualifiers against the lower end of international teams.

He almost fouled out in 9 minutes against Venezuela and fouled out in 6 minutes against Puerto Rico.

He needs to figure that out fast because the NBA is a whole different ballgame.
    Last edited by Molson; 07-25-2012 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RaininThrees
    TAKE THAT ICELAND!!!!
    Lol ...I'm surprised Iceland has a team.

Another foul-plagued game by Val vs Nigeria which limited his minutes. He takes those Amir type loose ball fouls on rebounds. I really hope he can adapt quickly to the NBA game. At least aggression won't be an issue.

I think he had 6 points and 5 rebounds against Argentina. Any idea what his numbers were in the Nigeria game?

edit: 4 points, 3 rebounds vs. Nigeria in just 11 minutes.

I said this in the main forum but the more I see him the more I realize just how raw he is. He is talented and i'm sure he will adjust with time but he probably won't be huge impact player in his first year, he's still in project stage.

Quote Originally Posted by bokes15
    I said this in the main forum but the more I see him the more I realize just how raw he is. He is talented and i'm sure he will adjust with time but he probably won't be huge impact player in his first year, he's still in project stage.
    I agree. As long as he is able to stay on the floor, he can cause mayhem for defenses with his P&R game due to how active he is, his footwork/speed, and his ability to catch the ball in traffic.

He can develop a more refined back to the basket game as he matures, but P&R will be his bread and butter this season.

I'm hoping he plays 25-30 mins per game, but with the foul trouble, I'd expect it to be closer to 15-20 mins per game.

He's gotta learn to stay away from the ticky-tack fouls and to keep his vertical plane when jumping.

I really think Dwane Casey will be great for his development. I see him as the perfect coach for Valanciunas.

gonna be a foul machine in his first year imo

great motor though, he just needs to learn not to do too much, he doesnt have to use all his energy ALL the time, a good problem to have for a young player i guess

9 min against the USA

I was really hoping to see him play some major minutes (at least 20+) against NBA talent

Quote Originally Posted by Zan Tabak
    9 min against the USA

I was really hoping to see him play some major minutes (at least 20+) against NBA talent
    yea me too. Lithuania is a very deep and experienced team though so it's understandable. He's been a liability during qualifiers, he's really foul prone.

Yeah, I watched that whole match against team USA and the limited stretches that he played he seemed to have trouble covering the bigger, stronger, faster NBA players. It's no easy task of course to go from Euroball to the NBA though, so I think season 2 we'll see a much better version of Val than season 1 vers.