Default Re: Top 5 Favorite Movies of 2012

Quote Originally Posted by christian1923
    Was that movie "the watch" any good?
    nah.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by christian1923
    Was that movie "the watch" any good?
    It got shredded by the critics. I know 1 person who saw it and liked it, but he said he liked the story but the movie wasn't funny at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Know It All
    How was the film superb? I guarantee it won't get one Academy Award nomination.

if it doesn't get one academy award then it will be in the same boat as most of the greatest films of all time then

They are one in the same in that they are directed toward a younger teen audience and both contain unoriginal and soft stories that lack any intensity. As bad as Twilight? Maybe not. Comparable? Absolutely, they are both a poor reflection on the lack of creativity and ability of modern popular writers. Characters who are one dimensional, plot which is paper thin, and a hokey story with predictable endings.
    i don't agree, hunger games was terrifically well made regardless of plot and thoroughly convincing, it was totally refreshing to actually feel the threat/violence in what is essentially a teen movie(by your reckoning anyway). that is really unique and reminds me of the old days when hunger games would have been an 18 and a b movie. great stuff.
    Last edited by ukplayer4; 08-02-2012 at 12:39 PM.

1. Tdkr

The Avengers - 10/10
    Hunger Games - 9/10
    21 Jump Street - 8.5/10
    Moonrise Kingdom - 7.5/10
    Beasts of the Southern Wild 7.5/10

Most of the artsy people would like those last 2 the best but that's not what I'm looking for in a movie really but they were both very different which is always welcomed... And yea I have seen the TDKR and thought it was stupid.

Local High School Star Mr Know It All's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ukplayer4
    if it doesn't get one academy award then it will be in the same boat as most of the greatest films of all time then
    I'm talking about nominations. Not academy awards. Even popular science fiction movies like District 9 and Avatar have received best picture nominations, and others at least nominations in special effects or writing categories. I guarantee you The Hunger Games will not receive ONE nomination.

Quote Originally Posted by ukplayer4
    i don't agree, hunger games was terrifically well made regardless of plot and thoroughly convincing, it was totally refreshing to actually feel the threat/violence in what is essentially a teen movie(by your reckoning anyway). that is really unique and reminds me of the old days when hunger games would have been an 18 and a b movie. great stuff.
    Terrifically well made? Based on what? Plenty of people bashed the direction and amateur shaky cam throughout the movie. And what violence? The buildup was not at all justified when through the games themselves we were treated to a predictable romp that lacked intensity. It was PG-13, PG in Canada in Europe, it was far from intense and could never have sniffed an 18 rating.

The lame romance between Peta and Katniss, plus her predictability as the films protagonist was evidence enough to toss this crap film (and book) into the pile of slop gobbled up by stupid American audiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Know It All
    I'm talking about nominations. Not academy awards. Even popular science fiction movies like District 9 and Avatar have received best picture nominations, and others at least nominations in special effects or writing categories. I guarantee you The Hunger Games will not receive ONE nomination.

point still stands, even recent films in the english language that were considered some of the top films of the year didn't get oscar nominations, oscar nominations are not an indication of film quality. one of the most important factors of getting oscar nominations is how much you rally for them, and by extension release date. if your film didn't open towards the end of the year you are basically without any hope in hell of getting nominated no matter how good your film was, seriously oscars are that backward and flawed. this is the reality of how throwaway the oscars are. go back and look at the nominations each year, i could show you year by year the reasons things get nominated and most of it isn't to do with film quality. sure a film has to(most of the time) be of a reasonable level of competency to get nominated but it is nowhere near the indicator of a films excellence in its field, its almost a lock that t wasn't intact! the reasons are numerous but one thing is that the academy is not made up of film fanatics/academics/critics or writers, its made up of oscar winners and people who excel or are thought to excel in the field of film production- these people don't have time to watch many films, this is fact. I've spoken at length with oscar/bafta members and they have admitted that much. every year when famous members are asked what they voted for and why they freely admit they voted for the big hype film or big release because thats one of the few films they saw that was in the final list for nominations- yes there are lists, that get thinned down as things progress, you can't just vote for any film! often these people haven't even seen the films that excel in most of the categories. its a disgrace but true unfortunately. anyway i hope we have established at least one universal truth- oscar voting is highly flawed to say the least.

Terrifically well made? Based on what? Plenty of people bashed the direction and amateur shaky cam throughout the movie. And what violence? The buildup was not at all justified when through the games themselves we were treated to a predictable romp that lacked intensity. It was PG-13, PG in Canada in Europe, it was far from intense and could never have sniffed an 18 rating.

i thought the direction was superb and most of what i read said the same. a lot of people had issue with the shaky cam and i have to say for the first 15 minutes of the film the camera work was completely out of control, in fact it was ridiculous how loose the framings and jittery the moves were, i agree with that. but that didn't last it seemed to me it was in there so that we would later adjust to a less shaky, but still handheld aesthetic that the film utilised though out to great effect. handheld cam makes things feel rougher and grittier- look at how green grass employs it on all his films, they all have that realistic/gritty feel.
    what violence? hunger games is unquestionably the most brutal and violent pg-13 i have ever seen, by quite some way, i didn't for one second think that they could achieve the threat that was needed with such a certificate but they did, i was incredibly impressed, no doubt the handheld cam helped immensely in this regard. i don't know if the u.s version had any more cuts than in europe but this is so often the case so maybe thats a factor, not sure. regardless tho the hunger games was the most shocking and brutal pg-13 I've ever seen.

The lame romance between Peta and Katniss, plus her predictability as the films protagonist was evidence enough to toss this crap film (and book) into the pile of slop gobbled up by stupid American audiences.

the romance between the two characters was the weakest part of the film for me to. very few films are flawless, for a blockbuster release i felt the hunger games was truly magnificent, refreshing and pushed the boundaries. you didn't, thats fine.

Bump

My updated list:

1. Django Unchained
    2. Looper
    3. Prometheus
    4. Skyfall
    5. Cabin in the Woods

Honorable mentions: Avengers, Expendables 2

I still have not seen several that I think I would love (ex: Argo, The Master).

Quote Originally Posted by DMV2
    Can't even make a Top 5 since I only saw 2 movies.

The Hobbit - 8.5/10
    Looper - 8/10
    Wow. How come only 2?

1. Wreck it Ralph
    2. Looper

Avengers
    Dark Knight Rises
    Looper
    Lincoln
    Skyfall

Didn't see that many movies this year, still gotta check out Django Unchained

NBA rookie of the year

There were some good ones, but 007 is usually number one for me, so Skyfall takes it.

Avengers is sooo overrated

felt like straight to DVD movie

I even liked Looper better and that's a 6.5 in my book

Wreck it Ralph top ten movie all time... its that good

Quote Originally Posted by Budadiiii
    Wreck it Ralph top ten movie all time... its that good
    Maybe in my top ten 2012.