Thread: Salaries

Saw a basketball once

Default Salaries

Just out of curiosity, I was wondering how much basketball players in other leagues get paid on average.

I mean we all know that NBA players get ridiculous money but I was wondering how much players in the ABA, Euroleague or D-League and so on on average get paid?

Just curious lol

Default Re: Salaries

Don't even worry about it. No one really even knows the answer. Best guess, I'd say they make about 17k a year, at best. Most of them do it b/c they love the sport and they get dumb ass groupies that can't tell the difference between NBA and sub level NBA players. They just want a tall basketball player's jock up their tight little asses. That's all they really care about.

Dunking on everybody in the park mika's Avatar

Brandon Jennings
    Jennings has a three-year contract for a guaranteed $1 million, but he also has an out to enter the NBA draft after Year 1 and 2 of the deal
    http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?...yhoo&type=lgns

My friend was playing for the Plymouth Raiders in England and was getting $800 per week + room and board with a car to drive around. Not too shabby. He plays for the Bristol Academy Flyers now.

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by mika
    Brandon Jennings
    http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?...yhoo&type=lgns

My friend was playing for the Plymouth Raiders in England and was getting $800 per week + room and board with a car to drive around. Not too shabby. He plays for the Bristol Academy Flyers now.
    Damn, Jennings is gettin paid that much in Europe? And he aint even one of the top players in Europe (well, not yet anyway).

What of the ABA or the D-League or otherl eagues, how much you think they get paid?

Compare that to what ur friend is getting. But what ur friend is getting aint bad though. I'm currently in Nigeria though doing some work out there but when i aint working I'm training hard at this, even found a coach too, so when I go back to the UK or whenever I finish doing work out here I can try and take this basketball thing far. US scouts come to Nigeria more than they go to England believe it or not. And out here are many, many camps where US scouts come and take players on, with the maximum age being 25. I just turned 23 so I'm really working hard at this.

Learning to shoot layups JonnyBigBoss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Legend of Josh
    Don't even worry about it. No one really even knows the answer. Best guess, I'd say they make about 17k a year, at best. Most of them do it b/c they love the sport and they get dumb ass groupies that can't tell the difference between NBA and sub level NBA players. They just want a tall basketball player's jock up their tight little asses. That's all they really care about.
    Damn dude, were you rejected or something?

I know the D-League players don't get much. Like 15k on average which is pretty bad. The WNBA players get a little more, around $40k. Yeah, the NBA salaries are ridiculous.

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by Gevz2kX
    I know the D-League players don't get much. Like 15k on average which is pretty bad. The WNBA players get a little more, around $40k. Yeah, the NBA salaries are ridiculous.
    You mean 15k a year???????

Wow...LOL, and the D-League is the closest in terms of salary to the NBA (excluding the WNBA of course lol)? The difference is too extreme lol

What of the CBA or ABA, or the top teams in Europe?

Quote Originally Posted by Igwe_LDN
    You mean 15k a year???????

Wow...LOL, and the D-League is the closest in terms of salary to the NBA (excluding the WNBA of course lol)? The difference is too extreme lol

What of the CBA or ABA, or the top teams in Europe?

some of the top Euro guys make more than NBA roleplayers. I remember reading an article about the big, black forward that plays for that major Greece team (Olympiakos). They pretty much said he could come to the NBA, but he wouldn't make as much over here (assuming he was a roleplayer), because he gets paid like a star in Greece.

I'm guessing the top Euro players make 5-8 million a year. Just a guess.

edit: Looked it up, Greece team is Olympiakos.
    Last edited by bdreason; 03-06-2009 at 12:02 AM.

Here is an interesting new article I just read about the Euroleague.

3 Steps to exposing a longstanding problem in European basketball - Feb 27, 2009 (by Eurobasket )

3. Acknowledge that players haven't been paid. There are two sides to the long-running marriage of American players to European basketball. At the high end is the contract Josh Childress (6'8''-G/F-83, college: Stanford) signed with Olympiakos S.F.P. Pireus of Greece, paying the former Atlanta Hawk $32.5 million over three years. The Euroleague club outbid the NBA for Childress, leading to speculation that Olympiakos S.F.P. Pireus and other European powers could make offers of $30 million or more to lure LeBron or Kobe as NBA free agents.

But there is another less attractive side to basketball across the ocean. For as long as the sport has been played professionally in Europe, players have been at risk of not receiving their money. The stories include the excruciating tale of Danny Vranes, a former NBA player who told me that his Greek club in the late 1980s not only refused to pay him but also forced him to play in a big game by kidnapping Vranes' friend and not releasing him until the game was finished, at which time Vranes left Greece without his money.

Most of the stories of jilted players tend to the routine: The European team responds to a losing streak by changing its roster, or the American player is injured and replaced. In many of these cases, the displaced player is not paid the salary that was promised to him. The expatriate American players have had no recourse, and to this day they face a foreign legal system weighted to the benefit of the local club, the absence of a European players' association and an inherent conflict of interest in which the player's agent is paid by the European club. David Falk received his income from Michael Jordan, but in the European system Falk would have been paid his salary -- and essentially be working for -- the Chicago Bulls.

So who looks out for the best interests of the player?

2. Seek civil judgments against the club. In 2000-01, former NBA player Chris Morris underwent knee surgery in Greece as a player for Olympiakos S.F.P. Pireus. When the knee failed to heal quickly enough, Olympiakos S.F.P. Pireus replaced Morris without further pay. In 2003, Morris won a civil judgment against Olympiakos S.F.P. Pireus in U.S. District Court in Houston that awarded him close to $1.3 million (including attorneys' fees and interest to date). Morris' agent, Tom McLaughlin, won a similar action in U.S. District Court in Boston, ordering Olympiakos S.F.P. Pireus to now pay him close to $500,000.

Olympiakos S.F.P. Pireus did not defend itself in these cases and has not paid the money, so Morris and McLaughlin have upped the pressure. On Feb. 18, a U.S. Federal Court subpoena was served on Coca-Cola demanding the company to turn over all records of its financial dealings with Olympiakos S.F.P. Pireus since 2004. With the help of the international law firm Yormick & Associates, Morris and McLaughlin plan to serve similar subpoenas on all of the American sponsors of Olympiakos S.F.P. Pireus, including Nike and Citigroup.

When Morris went unpaid by Olympiakos S.F.P. Pireus, the club was owned by Greek magnate Socrates Kokkalis. The club is now operated by the Aggelopoulos brothers, a pair of ambitious, young billionaires who are to European basketball what Mark Cuban is to the NBA. They are being held accountable for the actions of their club, and McLaughlin hopes that other jilted players will follow this example.

'The idea is to get the American sponsors to know about this mistreatment of American athletes. I would think they would like to know about that,'' McLaughlin said. 'It's like trying to deal with these deadbeat dads who are not paying child support. When the cases are publicized, something like 80 percent of the dads wind up paying. But if there is no publicity, they don't pay. What we're really trying to do is to get the deadbeat teams to pay.''

1. Form a players' association. The American International Players' Association (AIPA) is positioned in Europe to help resolve disputes between players and clubs, to 'represent equal and fair accountability on both sides,'' according to co-founder and chairman David Rivers, a former Notre Dame star who led none other than Olympiakos S.F.P. Pireus to the 1996-97 Euroleague championship. With thousands of American men and women playing and coaching basketball professionally around the world, the AIPA could become a powerful clearinghouse of information as well as a force to improve the operating standards of the sport outside the United States.

Apparently Childress landed a deal for more than 10 million a year.

It does sound like there are some risks involved though. Shyt aint gauranted like the NBA, hah.

Decent college freshman supersmashbros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gevz2kX
    The NBA salaries wouldn't be so ridiculous in another 20-30 years (or even sooner) when the league's popularity declines. In fact, in the current recession we are in right now the NBA's ticket sales are going down (not surprising considering the high prices). I think other leagues might benefit from the decline of the NBA, though

I sold a car to a local guy around here by the name of Thomas Kelati...SG for a team in Spain. He was on the Lakers summer roster for a bit but then went overseas. He told me $50,000 is deposited in his bank account every month. I'm not sure how their taxes are but thats 600k a year. Over here thats like 1.45 million or so before taxes....not bad for a 25 year who doesn't have to pay for room and board, food, etc...