Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Wilt Chamberlain said scoring 100 points in a game was "a fluky thing."

The following is taken from the book Tall Tales by Terry Pluto.

Wilt Chamberlain: What I like best about the 100-point game is that there is no videotape or film of it. There is just a scratchy radio tape. The game is shrouded in myth and mystery, and over the years people have been able to embellish it without facts getting in the way. As I've traveled the world, I've probably had 10,000 people tell me that they saw my 100 point game at Madison Square Garden. Well, the game was in Hershey and there were about 4,000 [actually 4,124] there. But that's fine. I have memories of the game and so do they, and over the years the memories get better. It's like your first girlfriend--the picture you have in your head is always better than how she looked in real life.

Tom Meschery (teammate): Hershey had one of those dreary, old, dungeonlike arenas with overlapping rafters. Because the Hershey Company was there, the whole town smelled like fresh chocolate. We had trained in Hershey, so we were acquainted with the gym. Right away, I knew Wilt was in for a big night because he was making all of his free throws.

Wilt Chamberlain: To me, the 100-point game was inevitable that season. I was averaging 50 point. I had 78 in a game [three months earlier]. In high school, I once scored 90 [in 32 minutes] and shot 36-for-41. I always scored a lot, so I figured that 100 would come. But I certainly did not decide to go for it that night in Hershey. Even by halftime, I had 41 and it wasn't that big of a deal. I had scored 40 in a half before.

Al Attles (teammate): Wilt just kept scoring. He had 69 after three quarters. Dave Zinkoff was doing the PA and after every basket Wilt scored in the fourth quarter, he'd announce, "That's 82 for Wilt." So everyone in the game knew the situation and it just evolved to the point where we wanted Wilt to get 100.

Wilt Chamberlain: When I got into the 80s, I heard the fans yelling for 100. I thought, "Man, these people are tough. Eighty isn't good enough. I'm tired. I've got 80 points and no on e has ever scored 80." At one point, I said to Al Attles, "I got 80, what' the difference between 80 and 100?" But the guys kept feeding me the ball.

Tom Meschery (teammate): By the fourth quarter, the Knicks were waiting until the 24-second shot clock was about to expire before they shot. When we had the ball, they were fouling everyone except Wilt so he wouldn't get 100. So we would take the ball out-of-bounds and throw high lobs directly to Wilt near the basket. When Wilt wanted the ball, he was big enough and strong enough to go get it. Guys were hanging on his back, and he was still catching the pass and scoring. I knew it was going to happen when with about five minutes left Wilt dunked one and nearly threw two New York players into the basket with the ball, and Dave Zinkoff yelled over the PA, "Dipper Dunk for 86!"

Richie Guerin (Knick): they can complain about us fouling people, but Frank McGuire sent some subs into the game and they were fouling us immediately to get the ball back and give Wilt some more chances.

Pete D'Ambrosio (official): The game was a real pain in the neck to call. The last three minutes of the game took about 20 minutes. The Knicks were jumping on guys just to keep the ball away from Wilt. Then New York would get the ball, and Philly would foul.

Harvey Pollack (PR Man): Darrell Imhoff started at center against Wilt, but he fouled out and played only about half the game. By the end of the game, all of their big men had fouled out.

[Chamberlain was guarded by Cleveland Buckner, who was listed as 6-foot-9 but was closer to 6-foot-7. Chamberlain scored his 98th point with 1:19 left]

Harvey Pollack (PR Man): Here is exactly what happened for the 100th point. Wilt took a shot and missed and missed. It rebounded out to Joe Ruklick. Even this has been disputed, because the NBA said it was Paul Arizin, but I called them and they changed it.
    Rulick got the ball, passed it to Wilt and Wilt made a layup, not a dunk as some people reported.
    The ball went through the rim with 46 seconds left, the fans rushed on the court and the game ended there.

Al Attles (teammate): After the game, Wilt was in the dressing room and he wasn't celebrating like the rest of us.
    I said, "Wilt what's the matter?"
    He said, "I never thought I'd take 60 shots in a game."
    I said, "But you made 36--that's better than 50 percent."
    He said, "But Al--63 shots, Al."
    Then he just shook his head.

Harvey Pollack (PR man): The one famous picture from the game is Wilt in the dressing room holding up a little sign that said, "100." The photographers wanted something special and I just grabbed a piece of paper, wrote 100 on it, Wilt held it up and it went all over the country.

Wilt Chamberlain: The 100-point game will never be as important to me as it is to some other people. That's because I'm embarrassed by it. After I got into the 80s, I pushed for 100 and it destroyed the game because I took shots that I normally never would. I was not real fluid. I mean, 63 shots? You take that many shots on the playground and no one ever wants you on their team again. I never considered myself a gunner. I led the league in scoring because I also led them in field goal percentage. I've had many better games than this one, games where I scored 50-60 and shot 75 percent.

Richie Guerin (Knick): I'm not saying this to take anything away from Wilt. I think Wilt is the best big man to play the game--ever. I am convinced that he can go out there today at 50-some years old and be better than most of the guys starting now.
    But that game was not played as it should have been played. The second half was a travesty. I don't care what the Philly people say, I'm convinced that during the half they decided to get Wilt 100. He took nearly every shot. In the normal flow, Wilt would have scored 80-85 points which is mind-boggling when you thing about it. I'm sorry, this may be basketball history but I always felt very bad about that game. I got so sick of it that I intentionally fouled out.

http://wiltfan.tripod.com/onehundred.html

Default Re: Wilt Chamberlain said scoring 100 points in a game was "a fluky thing."

New York Daily News - Nov 3, 1996

Here's Wilt on:

The 100-point game

"I see now on TV where some company is saying you can buy a tape with that game on it. Let me tell you, the only camera that was ever in the arena that night was the one of me showing '100 points' on a sign," Chamberlain said. "When people see me, they say, 'There's the guy who scored 100 points.' It's a tag and I don't like that tag. It's not a putdown. But it's a simplification of how people see me. It doesn't exemplify what I tried to do in basketball. People forget, I had games where I only took one shot. Some games I didn't take any. I led the league in scoring seven straight years and then I was asked to do other things. That was a testament to how good I was."

Default Re: Wilt Chamberlain said scoring 100 points in a game was "a fluky thing."

Al Attles (teammate): After the game, Wilt was in the dressing room and he wasn't celebrating like the rest of us.

[...]

Wilt Chamberlain: The 100-point game will never be as important to me as it is to some other people. That's because I'm embarrassed by it. After I got into the 80s, I pushed for 100 and it destroyed the game because I took shots that I normally never would. I was not real fluid. I mean, 63 shots? You take that many shots on the playground and no one ever wants you on their team again. I never considered myself a gunner. I led the league in scoring because I also led them in field goal percentage. I've had many better games than this one, games where I scored 50-60 and shot 75 percent.
    lol something Kobe would never say. Ofcourse Chamberlain had a big ego, like every superstar does, but unlike Kobe his ego didn't reach the "I'm gonna be a heroic superhero" level. Kobe's ego is at that ridiculous level. Allen Iverson's ego was even beyond that.

Even if AI had adapted his game for a long career would never have been able to reduce himself to a role player even if it was for the betterment of the team. MJ and Wilt could. Kobe? I'm not sure about him.
    Last edited by FKAri; 03-25-2011 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri
    lol something Kobe would never say. Ofcourse Chamberlain had a big ego, like every superstar does, but unlike Kobe his ego didn't reach the "I'm gonna be a heroic superhero" level. Kobe's ego is at that ridiculous level. Allen Iverson's ego was even beyond that.
    The question is: Do you prefer a player that will it all to win? Or the one who cares about stats?

Even if AI had adapted his game for a long career would never have been able to reduce himself to a role player even if it was for the betterment of the team. MJ and Wilt could. Kobe? I'm not sure about him.
    Kobe has already proved that he can play a relatively secondary role during his years with Shaq.

I am under the impression that MJ never played the secondary role. Wilt did take a backseat but that goes in line with his never wanting to take the last shot in a game.

In b4 jlauber.

Quote Originally Posted by plowking

The following is taken from the book Tall Tales by Terry Pluto.

http://wiltfan.tripod.com/onehundred.html
    It would have to be a flukely thing, right? It only happened once. Any player scoring 60 or more is fluke.

The game where Bird went for 60, he had run a 10K race that afternoon and he says he was sore all over and you would think he would have an off night, but for some reason, his shooting was on fire.

By the way, that same website claims that Bird had a 5 for 5 game against the Lakers in 1981 when Magic was Hurt. Bird told Magic, you just watch, I'll put on a show for you and he went for
    36 points. 21 rebounds. 5 assists. 5 steals. 5 blocks.

That game is not listed on Wikipedia entry for double-double and triple double and five for five games

I found out why Bird's game is listed in Wikipedia. The list is only from the 1986-87 season, because that is how far back the basketball-reference website has data

"List of NBA Five-by-Fives since 1986–87". basketball-reference.com.

r u stupid or r u just spewing shyt? Do u not remember the 62 pt game by kobe in 3 quarters? Phil asked kobe before the startj of the 4th...''what do u want me to do''...kobe answered back '' do what u think is best'' and phil did not play him in the 4th. If kobe had the ego u seem to be talking about..we would be talking about his 90+ game and possibly outscoring a team on his own...so sit ur ass down cause u just got owned

Wilt did take a backseat but that goes in line with his never wanting to take the last shot in a game.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESDFppbQ2zM#t=2m32s

Banned

wilt play with a bunch of unatletic white guys and every team only have like one or two black guys.

Wilt Chamberlain said scoring 100 points in a game was "a fluky thing."
    I thought Wilt was always full of hot air and never said a bad word about his games, especially his most legendary one...Imagine Kobe ever claiming that he doesn't regard his 81-point game that highly because the Raptors played crappy defense or doing the same thing about his 62-pointer against the Mavs, because they were stupid enough to send him to the line all the time?

Wilt did take a backseat but that goes in line with his never wanting to take the last shot in a game.
    Too bad for that theory that Wilt has actually made 10 game-winning shots in his career (yes, I did the research, because I know that almost anyone else never will), including 2 in the playoffs, which almost certainly puts him ahead of every center all-time except Kareem and Hakeem (I didn't look up for Moses Malone, but I doubt he has that many. Shaq certainly doesn't). BTW, I mean real game-winning shots, not just "scoring the points that sealed the win". Also, he's made 5 OT sending shots. Of course, these are only his offensive game-winners, since he's also made a bunch of game-saving blocked shots as well (including 3 winning blocked shots in a row after having scored the game winning basket during his career's 6th pro game), but that's beside the point.

Too bad for that theory that Wilt has actually made 10 game-winning shots in his career (yes, I did the research, because I know that almost anyone else never will), including 2 in the playoffs, which almost certainly puts him ahead of every center all-time except Kareem and Hakeem (I didn't look up for Moses Malone, but I doubt he has that many. Shaq certainly doesn't). BTW, I mean real game-winning shots, not just "scoring the points that sealed the win". Also, he's made 5 OT sending shots. Of course, these are only his offensive game-winners, since he's also made a bunch of game-saving blocked shots as well (including 3 winning blocked shots in a row after having scored the game winning basket during his career's 6th pro game), but that's beside the point.

This is a tremendous find.

However it seems I made an error in posting the above comment from Wilt in Tall Tales. Apparently he didn't want the ball during the final play due to his poor foul shooting. He felt it was better to be a decoy on the last play. Of course the critics will spin this as "choke", neglecting his efforts to bring the team to victory in what basically was the championship game of the season.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...olen-that-ball

The 76ers trailed 110-109 with five seconds to go and called timeout to set up the game-winning play. In an exclusive interview for the book, coach Dolph Schayes recalled that he decided on a play to get Hal Greer a jump shot after Greer first passed the ball inbounds to Chet Walker and then took a return pass.

Of course, the inbounds pass never got to Walker as Havlicek anticipated well and deflected the soft pass to Sam Jones, securing victory for the Celtics.

But 76ers players Johnny Kerr and Al Bianchi revealed that Schayes made his play selection only after Chamberlain backed out as Schayes' No. 1 option.

Recalled Kerr, "Wilt said, 'no don't throw it to me, they'll foul me. They're going to foul me.' Here's a guy that had all kinds of problems being a winner and yet didn't want to take the onus on his shoulders and say, Give me the ball and I'll get it for you.'"

As for Wilt's free-throw fear, in this situation it was completely unfounded. Given the NBA's three-attempts-to-make-two format at the time, even a poor shooter such as Wilt (he shot 46.4 percent from the line in 1965) on average would have made at least one out of three nearly 85 percent of the time. Fouling would not have been a good strategy for the Celtics, who also had stalwart Bill Russell dug in to defend Chamberlain.

NBA Superstar

Flukey. Yeah. Kind of reminds me when Ice Cube was just messing around and came out with a triple double.

The funny thing is I can totally relate to what Wilt's saying about his 100 point game. I've run that same game management technique in my video games for years. When a cyber milestone like that comes into sight, all of the sudden you start doing things you never would before. Fouling the other team on purpose, iso-ing against five defenders and hoping for a bucket or foul, reinserting your star even in a massive blowout. I've done it all.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

I like that talk with Wilt there, changes the perspective on how lots of people think of that game(I think, atleast). Thats one thing I wish I could go back in time and see live.

Good stuff

Serious playground baller Monkey D Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JGXEN
    In b4 jlauber.
    ******s waiting on their boy friends and has nothing to do with fucccking tread.