Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Stephen A Smith: Melo will Likely leave the Knicks

Quote Originally Posted by hawkfan
    hawkfan first said Melo will leave for LA, but of course Jim Buss and the Lakers were planning for this when they tendered their offer to Dwight Howard.
    You do realize no one listens to you at all, right?

NBA sixth man of the year NugzFan's Avatar

I'm surprised people don't get what he's doing.

If melo leaves then he can say "I was first to know! I called it back in November!!" And we will never hear the end of it. He will proclaim himself the guy who first broke the news.

If melo stays he will never bring it up again. It's win win for him

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by RoundMoundOfReb
    LA? Would you want him on the lakers?
    I'm not an idiot like the majority of other fans so of course I'd want him on the Lakers. The questions is though is it worth paying max dollars to Melo when he'll be 30 and you're essentially getting a 1a/1b option instead of a clear cut franchise changing player. With his reputation and the way the rest of the league sees him I can't see a lot of teams throwing max money his way.

OK, let's be honest. Do I want Melo to resign? Yes. If Melo's on your team, the team will automatically be relevant, he's still fairly young etc.

Would I be upset if he left? No. Because, for the same reason, he isn't THAT young, he has shoulder issues, AND if Melo leaves....the Knicks have MEGA MEGA cap space in summer 2015. Almost a blank slate. So I'm not too worried either way.

But if you asked me...and if I had to place a bet right now, Melo is staying. The ONLY viable option is the Lakers...which is possible. But after you sign Melo AND Kobe...how much cap space will there be? Um....almost zero I'm thinking....so Melo's gonna play with Kobe for 2 years as his skills degrade? Then what?

Melo will stay a Knick next summer, and then Knicks will try to rebuild summer 2015, either with resigning Tyson, going after Love, or whoever else.....

There's a 100% chance he opts out and then signs a new max deal

There's about a 90% chance he is staying in ny

There's a 10% chance it's a sign and trade somewhere else

0% chance he flat out leaves ny in free agency

Knicks will get Carmelo back or something in return.

Quote Originally Posted by NugzFan
    I'm surprised people don't get what he's doing.

If melo leaves then he can say "I was first to know! I called it back in November!!" And we will never hear the end of it. He will proclaim himself the guy who first broke the news.

If melo stays he will never bring it up again. It's win win for him
    I don't think it's that now, i honestly think that he is just trying to make the Knicks look bad and the Nets look good. He's been doing it all season. He made new rules for the Knicks, where even if they win he can bash them (a win is not a win unless he says so). Note that if they lose, they lose, but a win can be a loss too. The Nets, not under this rule. The knicks lose, they suck, the Nets lose - it's early. He even said (exactly this) the Knicks are in a worse situation than the Nets because THEY GAVE UP SO MANY DRAFT PICKS. No team in history has given up more years of picks than the Nets right now. They have no control of their draft for 5 years.

You guys are forgetting the obvious too. Melo is repped by CAA. CAA and the Knick organization are VERY tight, ridiculously intertwined. It should almost be "The New York Knicks brought to you by CAA". Woodson, Houston, Warkenstein, Melo, JR Smith, Chris Smith, Bargnani, on and on. So you think after establishing this relationship where CAA basically does whatever it wants with the Knicks, CAA will say "Thanks anyway, Dolan! Bye!" You think Melo isn't going to be swayed to stay? AND get more money? AND stay in New York City?

To go to Dallas? What? Why? LaLa wants to go there?

It's Knicks, with outside chance at Lakers. That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    You do realize no one listens to you at all, right?
    Except you, and the proof is that you responded to my post.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

What about the Clippers? Not to familiar with their cap situation though.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by longtime lurker
    I'm not an idiot like the majority of other fans so of course I'd want him on the Lakers. The questions is though is it worth paying max dollars to Melo when he'll be 30 and you're essentially getting a 1a/1b option instead of a clear cut franchise changing player. With his reputation and the way the rest of the league sees him I can't see a lot of teams throwing max money his way.
    I sort of agree. Will he be worth 30 some odd million in his mid 30s?? I seriously doubt it.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CanYouDigIt
    Please God no.

He's exactly what we don't need.

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    I don't think it's that now, i honestly think that he is just trying to make the Knicks look bad and the Nets look good. He's been doing it all season. He made new rules for the Knicks, where even if they win he can bash them (a win is not a win unless he says so). Note that if they lose, they lose, but a win can be a loss too. The Nets, not under this rule. The knicks lose, they suck, the Nets lose - it's early. He even said (exactly this) the Knicks are in a worse situation than the Nets because THEY GAVE UP SO MANY DRAFT PICKS. No team in history has given up more years of picks than the Nets right now. They have no control of their draft for 5 years.
    Most of their own picks would supposed to be in the 20s range. So when they traded them, they figured they could buy their way back into the draft (which isn't that hard, so long as they offer money to teams).

But if they don't make the playoffs, and lose out on a top lottery pick, yea, then that will be bad.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkfan
    Most of their own picks would supposed to be in the 20s range. So when they traded them, they figured they could buy their way back into the draft (which isn't that hard, so long as they offer money to teams).

But if they don't make the playoffs, and lose out on a top lottery pick, yea, then that will be bad.
    Still, i don't see how a valid criticism of the Knick's situation being worse than the Nets being a result of losing picks when they've lost far more picks and we have the same record.

Banned

He should go to a young team like 76ers.

Quote Originally Posted by ispin69
    He should go to a young team like 76ers.
    Detroit is ideal, because they don't have a franchise scorer.
    He can play that role.
    Then he would have Jennings - the point guard who can get to the rim; Singler - the outside shooter to spread the floor; Smith - the versatile power forward; and Drummond - the big who can score and rebound.