Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Local High School Star ChrisKreager's Avatar

Default Re: Missed shots that could have altered NBA history

Game 7, Spurs/Hornets 2008 West Semis.

New Orleans has cut a 14-point 4th quarter deficit to 3.

Janerro Pargo launches a 3 that would tie the game, but doesm't.

If that goes in, that could have altered things for the Hornets.

Local High School Star Stringer Bell's Avatar

Obviously, those 2 missed free throws by the Spurs in game 6 against the Heat.

In Game 6 of the 1998 Finals, Utah was up 2 with a little over a minute left. Stockton caught the inbounding pass and took an open 3, but was a little short. Costas said "that would've been a dagger in Chicago's heart". Would've been very tough to come back from 5 with a minute left. Jordan ended up going baseline, Stockton got called for blocking, and Jordan tied the game with the 2 FTs. And there was of course Stockton's last 3 at the end which was again a little short. Game 7 in Utah with Pippen's back being messed up, would have been very interesting.

The Lakers choked away game 4 (as they also did game 2) of the 84' Finals against Boston. Blowing a 5 pt lead with less than a minute in regulation, and then key missed FTs in overtime, including 2 in row by Magic. That would've put LA up 3-1 if they won.

In Game 5 of the 07' ECF, the game when Lebron went nuts on the Pistons, Detroit had a chance to win at the end of regulation. Billups caught Eric Snow in the air, and Snow moved his body in the air to avoid contact. The shot barely missed. That would've put Detroit up 3-2. The Spurs likely would have beaten Detroit again anyway though if the Pistons had taken the Cleveland series.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisKreager
    Sometimes, it is a single shot that can alter the course of what is to come in basketball.

A shot made or missed can have a short and long term affect on what happens.

I'll start with one that could have made things interesting:

Game 5, 1995 Rockets/Suns

Phoenix is up 3-1 in the series. Tie game, 8 seconds left.

Wesley Person puts up a 3 that was in-and-out, goes to overtime.

Of course, we all know what happened from there, as the '95 Rockets proved to be the all-time 'You can't kill us no matter what' team.

But think about the ramifications if Person's shot goes in:

Houston doesn't repeat as champs. How is Hakeem viewed with only one ring, or Clyde Drexler with zero rings?

San Antonio- If they draw Phoenix instead of Houston, do they still win that West Finals? Does Barkley do to David Robinson what Hakeem did?

Orlando- If they face the Suns or Spurs in the NBA Finals, what happens?
    That's a good one. Person's shot was so close.

Barkley also missed a key free throw (he was 1-6) earlier that would've put Phoenix up 3 and made it harder to tie (Hakeem had just tied it with a tough shot in the lane).

Quote Originally Posted by Djax12
    If Malone make those free throws, there will be no question about Stockton-Malone-Sloan legacy.
    And Jordan might have played another year or two as Bulls.
    Which free throws? I know he choked at the FT line in game 1 in 1997, but that was very early in the series.

Speaking on missed free throws, the Kings in Game 7 against the Lakers in 2002. Horrendous FT shooting when it mattered most.
    Last edited by Stringer Bell; 12-10-2013 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 32Dayz

LA lost that series because Kobe choked epically in G7.
    Even had they won there was 0% chance they would make the Finals let alone beat the Shaq/Wade Heat.

Kobe would have played against the Clippers and Mavs.

He killed the Clippers damn near everytime:

Vs Clippers he had a 35-5-5 game, A monster 50pt 8reb 8ast game, a 38-39pt 8ast game, and a 38pt 5reb 5ast game. Dominated them.

Vs Mavs (2-1 record) he had a 43pt 5ast game, that 62pt game inwhich he OUTSCORED their whole team thru 3quarters, yawl think Wade killed the Mavs in the finals? Imagine if Prime Kobe got to them?

Only thing really in question here is regarding what they would have done vs Heat. Objectively, I think Kobe and the Lakers would lose in 6 vs Heat. Kobe would over do it because of wanting to beat Shaq and we will fail.
    Last edited by branslowski; 12-10-2013 at 02:20 PM.

This thread has potential.

The missed foul-call in game two of the 2012 NBA finals.

At home, KD gets fouled on a jumper at the buzzer with OKC down two. No call.

Could have been sent to overtime. OKC would have all the momentum going into OT and most likely pull it out.

How does LeBron and company respond to being down 2-0? Who knows but it would guarantee another home game for the Thunder.

Oh well - Asterisk year anyways with the lockout

Banned

People would've been calling MJ a wannabe

Hmmmmm.... That half court shot from Wade at the end of game 2 in 2011.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by chains5000
    Good call there. I came in ready to nominate Robert Horry's big triple against Detroit in '05 (after Sheed ran to double Ginobili in the corner) but I guess Prince's play would hold more weight. Detroit repeating may have been less history-altering than Detroit not winning at all.

Also, amusing to see how many time Horry's name pops up in this thread.

And I think I misunderstood the topic. I was thinking shots that missed but also, "Shots that, if they were missed, would have altered history."

Lad

Durant non-call in Game 2 NBA finals 2 seasons ago.

He would've made the 2 FT's, overtime, i think Thunder would have won it and Heat would have been behind 0-2 in the series.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Courtney Lee's blown layup alley oop in the finals

Quote Originally Posted by Stringer Bell

In Game 6 of the 1998 Finals, Utah was up 2 with a little over a minute left. Stockton caught the inbounding pass and took an open 3, but was a little short. Costas said "that would've been a dagger in Chicago's heart". Would've been very tough to come back from 5 with a minute left. Jordan ended up going baseline, Stockton got called for blocking, and Jordan tied the game with the 2 FTs. And there was of course Stockton's last 3 at the end which was again a little short. Game 7 in Utah with Pippen's back being messed up, would have been very interesting.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p3-gr2asYA#t=3m47s

In Game 5 of the 07' ECF, the game when Lebron went nuts on the Pistons, Detroit had a chance to win at the end of regulation. Billups caught Eric Snow in the air, and Snow moved his body in the air to avoid contact. The shot barely missed. That would've put Detroit up 3-2. The Spurs likely would have beaten Detroit again anyway though if the Pistons had taken the Cleveland series.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhiY3jVoAuM#t=5m30s
    Last edited by Stringer Bell; 01-16-2014 at 05:59 AM.

Banned

I truly believe that if Durant gets FT's in that Finals game, the Thunder win in 6 and he completely switches places with LeBron in the publics view these past few years....not that it matters, because he's the best in the league now. I guess LeBron got his 2 ships thanks to a no-call though because no way Miami recovers after losing 2 straight Finals.

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joyner82reload
    I truly believe that if Durant gets FT's in that Finals game, the Thunder win in 6 and he completely switches places with LeBron in the publics view these past few years....not that it matters, because he's the best in the league now. I guess LeBron got his 2 ships thanks to a no-call though because no way Miami recovers after losing 2 straight Finals.
    Two free throws would have only tied the game? That "missed call" was hardly a factor i the grand scheme of things. Thunder were terrible at the end of games.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Horry missed 3 in 2003 WCSF Game 5. An all time clutch player missing an open game winner in a pivotal playoff game.

If it goes in Lakers probably win the series and 4-peat.