Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: Joe Alexander - Best Overall Athlete In The Draft

[QUOTE=Efunk7]i dont think he has 44" off a straight 2-footed vert, but i think he comes close off of an approach...

from draftexpress:

"Any question about just how freakishly athletic he is vertically were answered as we watched him perform a series of highlight reel caliber dunks as the day of workouts came to a close

Quote Originally Posted by meanmonster
    Alexander is going to be the guy in this draft that goes around 8-16 pick and is the player that all the teams 3 through 7 or so wish they would have taken. He is legit. He has a nice shot, can finish, can post up, can handle, can play D. I could justify taking him as high as 6.
    THANK YOU.

I usually hit open layups

It'll be interesting to see where Alexander goes in the draft. If the draft was tomorrow, I think he would be picked in the teens somewhere.

the nba is really getting too far into drafting 19 year old freshman. had this guy been a sophomore his stock would be up a little more

Serious playground baller disco's Avatar

I really liked Alexander in the Big East and NCAA tournaments, but watching him dominating purely because of his physical superiority against college small forwards made me think are his skills actually anywhere near the NBA level. He's first step is nice, but not that quick in the NBA level. He was able to finish in traffic against 6'8 - 6'9 big men, but can he take it to the basket against NBA big men? He has a pretty good shot, but does he have NBA range? He doesn't have very good handle, or skills in general. Also, he's turning 22 this year, and is there definitely that much upside or did he develop this year to max his potential?

I like him, but is his stock a bit too high? One great month and pretty good physical attributes shouldn't make anyone a lock lottery pick.

Good High School Starter

I really like Alexander is some respects, but he has a few major flaws.

Shooting is of course #1. If he wants to be a full time starter in the league, he needs to be able to shoot. He can score in so many other ways, but making 25% of 3's in the NBA won't cut it. The other is creating his own shot. He is athletic, and has a lot of moves, but you can't give him the ball behind the 3pt line and tell him to score. Those two things together make you wonder how he is going to score in the NBA. I think Phoenix would be the perfect place for him because even a guy like Marion can score 20ppg with them. Not that Marion isn't very good, but he needs to be set up to score like Alexander. I see NBAdraft.net has the Bucks taking him which would be a horrible fit because they don't have anyone to set up his scoring.

But just to prove him not a hater, if he can develop a good, consistant outside shot in the next couple years, I could see a more athletic version of Paul Pierce. He can get to the basket, handle contact, good mid-range game, creative at getting his shots off, and plays with intensity. The thing that stands out however, is that Pierce can set up his game by hitting outside shots.

Actually Alexander has pretty good range, and is said to be shooting the NBA 3 well in workouts. He was rarely behind the 3 point line at WVU, which may make his shooting % deceiving.

Quote Originally Posted by d_white089
    Actually Alexander has pretty good range, and is said to be shooting the NBA 3 well in workouts. He was rarely behind the 3 point line at WVU, which may make his shooting % deceiving.
    idk. he only shot about 40 3s this year so his % COULD be deceiving. but he only shot 30% his sophomore year and he launched 131 of them. id think that if he had good range he wouldnt have been bashful about shooting them his junior year.he sure wasnt his sophomore

He is a completely different player between those 2 years. His sophmore year he had an awful coach that would rather see 45 threes shot per game than running a decent system. His coach this year knows how to mold players to fulfill their potential and be ready for the NBA. I'm not saying he's Sasha Vujacic or Ray Allen shooting wise, but he can hold his own.

He is a completely different player between those 2 years. His sophmore year he had an awful coach that would rather see 45 threes shot per game than running a decent system. His coach this year knows how to mold players to fulfill their potential and be ready for the NBA. I'm not saying he's Sasha Vujacic or Ray Allen shooting wise, but he can hold his own.
    huggins taught him how to play down low a lot more and how to use his athleticism and size a lot more.but i dont see anything that would prove he has become a better shooter.just a more all around playr

That's a lie. Here's the article

Alexander's athleticism is jaw-dropping. He has a huge vertical jump and explodes off the floor. He has a little scar on his forehead just above his eyes where he hit his head on the rim in a dunk contest.

Where his leaping ability is really impressive is on his jump shot. He gets unbelievable elevation on his jumper. His jump shot is really a jump shot. With his huge leaping ability and high release -- it's virtually impossible to block.

Alexander showed excellent range on his jumper, draining NBA 3s with ease and showing a solid ability to shoot off the dribble. He still scissor-kicks a bit when he shoots which can throw him off balance, but as he smoothes out his form, he looks to be a deadly shooter.

People looking at his shaky 3-point shooting percentages in college might disagree with that assessment. He has not been a very accurate 3-point shooter in games.

That held somewhat true in a three-on-three matchup that pitted

Alexander versus Florida's Marreese Speights. Alexander struggled with Speights' height advantage and missed the majority of his shots. However, he warmed up a little at the end and hit a few big shots down the stretch for his team.

Anyway that has nothing to do with his leaping ability
    thats my fault. it was CHASE BUDINGER that is rumored to have the 44 inch vertical. its not a free insider preview anymore though so i cant get the link. but google "chase budinger verticle espn" and its the 1st article to come up.its got the kevin love video

Quote Originally Posted by Posterize246
    thats my fault. it was CHASE BUDINGER that is rumored to have the 44 inch vertical. its not a free insider preview anymore though so i cant get the link. but google "chase budinger verticle espn" and its the 1st article to come up.its got the kevin love video
    i posted that cause you said speights owned alexander..

in that case,no it wasnt a lie.

"Unlike Alexander, Speight's shooting touch didn't leave him when he went to playing 3-on-3. He was guarded by Alexander and scored at will with a series of step-backs, midrange jumpers off the dribble and post-up spins and moves. His strength and length were just too much.

Finally, Speights showed excellent aggressiveness as a defender. He showed an ability to guard Alexander out on the perimeter and down low. Moving his feet and using his length, he kept Alexander from getting clean looks at the basket.

"

from the same article you posted.in the marreese speights section. so yes,he owned alexander
    Last edited by Posterize246; 05-24-2008 at 06:34 PM.

NBA sixth man of the year

Doesn't sound like a lie to me.......

Were you there?

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft...ftWatch-080520

also if you watch the video on there chad ford uses the words "really shut down joe alexander"