Quote Originally Posted by sundizz
The most amazing part of religion to me is that it has persisted through the ages in some way, fashion or form. I wonder if we will ever get to a point where the majority of people on Earth don't believe in religion (mostly due to education). It seems like religion was a construct to keep ignorant people from doing ignorant, not good for society, things. An easy way to make rules that transcended all reason of punishment.

I'd say there was a point in time where people truly didn't do bad stuff because they felt it went again their religious beliefs. Nowadays people don't do bad stuff because it goes against the law. Religious beliefs only come into play for most people when a situation is hopeless.
For as long as religion also uses education to proagate their beliefs, I don't think we'll see that, at least in our lifetime. Also, I can think of a couple of instances wherein religion keeps (or at least tries to) us from doing things that may not be in accordance with their beliefs but may be exactly what the certain society needs at that point in time. The recent hullabaloo regarding Reproductive Health rights and measures here in the country could mainly be attributed simply to the church/es damning anyone who didn't believe that abortion or birth control was universally unacceptable; No ifs and buts. And boy, if you saw the way some of our lawmakers argued against the RH Bill here, you would really wonder what makes us put these people in office (well, this isn't the only case of that but I digress)