Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Default What's Your Opinion on the Rodney King Incident and His Life After?

Just curious how people feel about him. I read up on the incident to get all details and apparently he won a $3.8 million lawsuit against the city. Later on still had trouble with DUIs, even got in a hit-and-run with his ex-wife and later died from an accidentally drowning finding alcohol, PCP and cocaine in his system.

Anyone ever read up on this?

NBA Superstar

Default Re: What's Your Opinion on the Rodney King Incident and His Life After?

While I don't think that violently rioting is the best way to go about getting a message across, in this circumstance I can kind of see the justification. The African American community felt that they weren't being heard, so they did whatever they could in order to change that.

However to me personally, if I'm trying to change the minds of people who I feel have a bias against me, the last thing I'm going to do is act in a criminal way to try and change their mind. That simply won't work.

Banned

doesn't surprise me. black people gonna black people.

Quote Originally Posted by russwest0
    Howeveror me personally, if I'm trying to change the minds of people who I feel have a bias against me, the last thing I'm going to do is act in a criminal way to try and change their mind. That simply won't work.
    I agree with this. People's knee jerk reaction shouldn't be to riot. If you get past the 7,000 fires that were caused by the riots, the 3,100 businesses damaged, in the end 53 total people died because of the riots. I wonder how many them unjustly and innocently.

That struck me the hardest after I read that. 53 lost their lives because of the riots.

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    Anyone ever read up on this?
    Aren't you like 40? You don't remember the LA riots?

Quote Originally Posted by Raymone
    Aren't you like 40? You don't remember the LA riots?
    I'm 29. I will be 30 in September. I was 8 or 9 when it happened. I ever fully read up on it until last night. Spent about 2 hours on the subject on curious what led up to the incident, what occurred during the incident, and what happened afterwards with King and his life.

His life was sad and it made me really frustrated to read that he didn't change his life afterwards. Still getting DUIs, getting in trouble, then eventually dying because of the very things that got him arrested or what led up to it.

He was nearly beat to death on live television. I don't think it's easy to just bounce back from that.

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    He was nearly beat to death on live television. I don't think it's easy to just bounce back from that.
    I bet it isn't, but alas...

He had alcohol issues and drug issues before the beating ever took place. Those things are what led to his death. The reason he got pulled over in the first place was for those very reasons.

It makes me said that a whole city and several other cities rioted because this man got beat unjustly. And those riots led to 53 deaths and the only thing he did with his life after that is win a $3.8 million lawsuit, get in trouble with DUIs afterwards, go to jail for hit-and-run, then eventually die by accidentally drowning himself because of all the shit in his system.

Even though he was under the legal limit (barely) by the time they took the BAC test, 5 hours had already passed since the time of the beating. So his BAC could've easily went down over that time period.

The LAPD is one of the most corrupt, criminal police departments in the US. There's a feeling of powerlessness that minorities feel here, since cops fvck with the ALL THE TIME. Rodney King was a scumbag, but he didn't deserve to get beat the way he did, and it was disgusting that the officers got off. The riots were disgusting, but it's not like there wasn't a massive build up to something like this happening.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialQue
    The LAPD is one of the most corrupt, criminal police departments in the US.
    I agree with this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    I bet it isn't, but alas...

He had alcohol issues and drug issues before the beating ever took place. Those things are what led to his death. The reason he got pulled over in the first place was for those very reasons.

It makes me said that a whole city and several other cities rioted because this man got beat unjustly. And those riots led to 53 deaths and the only thing he did with his life after that is win a $3.8 million lawsuit, get in trouble with DUIs afterwards, go to jail for hit-and-run, then eventually die by accidentally drowning himself because of all the shit in his system.

Even though he was under the legal limit (barely) by the time they took the BAC test, 5 hours had already passed since the time of the beating. So his BAC could've easily went down over that time period.
    King was beaten repeatedly, well after he was already "subdued" and could have been handcuffed. The cops just succumbed to the human urge to beat the shit out of someone who was causing them trouble.

I'd say King deserved a few of those hits for putting other people's lives in danger, but repeatedly? And keep in mind, this was one of those rare instances where the cops were actually caught in the act. There have been many, many reports of people getting harassed, beaten, and raped by police here. Once again, the riots were disgusting, but there's a reason why they happened. King was just the final straw.

The LAPD is one of the most corrupt, criminal police departments in the US. There's a feeling of powerlessness that minorities feel here, since cops fvck with the ALL THE TIME. Rodney King was a scumbag, but he didn't deserve to get beat the way he did, and it was disgusting that the officers got off. The riots were disgusting, but it's not like there wasn't a massive build up to something like this happening.
    Very good post. I can definitely see this. This is what led to the Cincinnati 2001 riots which was the biggest urban disturbance since the '92 L.A. Riots. Basically a black unarmed 19 year old got shot unarmed and died and the officer got fired, but he could get rehired at another department. Black community was up in arms, along with a lot of other people and started protesting, and the protests turned into riots eventually because idiots just wanted to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymone
    Damn...those monkeys should be locked in the zoo.

King was beaten repeatedly, well after he was already "subdued" and could have been handcuffed. The cops just succumbed to the human urge to beat the shit out of someone who was causing them trouble.

I'd say King deserved a few of those hits for putting other people's lives in danger, but repeatedly? And keep in mind, this was one of those rare instances where the cops were actually caught in the act. There have been many, many reports of people getting harassed, beaten, and raped by police here. Once again, the riots were disgusting, but there's a reason why they happened. King was just the final straw.
    Not sure why you brought this up, I'm definitely NOT justifying what the cops did. Apparently the report goes he reached for his buttocks which the cops took as a weapon. One officer pulled her gun on him initiating the arrest, LAPD commanding officer took over, told everyone to holster their weapons and they would try to swarm him bare handed, that didn't work, they tasered him twice and then the batons come out and they start beating him.

I can understand that they would need to hit him a few times if he keeps getting up, because in the video you can clearly see he keeps trying to get up when getting hit, but then I ask myself "Look at all those officers there, there's at least 5+. You mean to tell me 5+ officers can subdue him and have to keep repeatedly power stroke him with their batons?" In total they took about 33 swings with batons all together.