Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast

Default Re: Official UCLA Bruins Thread:

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Kevin Love and Lorenzo Mata-Real showed how dominating UCLA's two big men can be when they're in the lineup at the same time.

Playing together for the first time, Love scored 21 points, Mata-Real added 14 points and 14 rebounds and the second-ranked Bruins trounced Youngstown State 83-52 in the first round of the CBE Classic on Monday night.

The Bruins (2-0) extended their home winning streak to 22 games with their second blowout victory. Love just missed his second double-double, grabbing nine rebounds. He made his college debut with 22 points and 13 rebounds in a 21-point win over Portland State on Friday.

"It was another pretty good defensive performance to hold a team under 40 percent, which is always a goal," UCLA coach Ben Howland said.

UCLA will play Division II Cal State-San Bernardino, which beat Weber State 71-59, in Tuesday's second round. The winner advances to the semifinals on Nov. 19 in Kansas City.
    Love another good game getting 21/9.

Local High School Star UCLAlegend32's Avatar

Klove Was A Beast Last Night

And Lorenzo Mata Wow

Man, UCLA is loaded!!! And you guys play uptempo style basketball...outstanding. It is going to be fun watching and listening to UCLA games this year.

I wish that my UCONN Huskies could play like you guys right now. Oh well, our day will come. Good luck, UCLA.

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Bring on the big guns. UCLA is tired of beating up on lesser teams.

Kevin Love scored 16 of his 19 points in the second half, just missing a double-double, and the second-ranked Bruins rolled past Division II Cal State-San Bernardino 76-41 on Tuesday night in the second round of the CBE Classic.

As winners of the Los Angeles regional, the Bruins (3-0) advanced to play Maryland (2-0) in the semifinals on Nov. 19 in Kansas City. A victory would put them in the title game, possibly against Missouri or Michigan State.

Love can't wait to test himself against stronger competition.

"When the bright lights come on, I play better," he said. "I perform better and I'm more focused."

Love had his third consecutive double-figure game and first in front of John Wooden, UCLA's 97-year-old former coach. The vaunted freshman had nine rebounds for the second straight game after notching a double-double last week in his college debut.
    Love with another great game, getting 19/9 in 26 minutes of action. Sure, it was against Cal State-San Bernardino, but it was still a good game by K-Love.

Can't wait to bring on the Terps on Monday and then Mizzou or Mich St.

Let's not forget that Michael Roll[the teams best pure shooter] and Darren Collison are still MIA due to injuries and we are beating up on teams by a total of 228-141. Can't wait until the Pac-10 season!

Decent college freshman TheGame414's Avatar

And you guys play uptempo style basketball...outstanding.
    For all the good things about UCLA basketball, this isn't one of them. Saying UCLA plays up-tempo is just flat-out false. They were No. 266 in pace in 2007 and No. 300 in 2006, meaning Howland's system is one of the slowest in major college basketball, and all of college basketball, period. They're a great team, but a great half-court team.

Anyway, I'm quickly developing a man-crush on Kevin Love.

Well, the Bruins will finally get themselves a test of some sort when they play the Terps in the CBE Classic, and with a win will face Mizzou/Michigan St., so it would be another test.

Without Collison, I think they can win both, but if DC is to play, I really can't see the Bruins losing, unless he's extremely rusty.

Good win over the Terps, but we need to cutback on the turnovers. If Mich St. presses us, there's a huge chance we can lose. Love had another good game, hope he continues this.

Let's go Bruins!

NBA Superstar

A huge chance you could lose. lol

Saw a basketball once

Facing MSU with a 6-man rotation on a back-to-back, and without Collison and Roll was tough, but it showed how good this team can be.

Teams trying to double-team Love in the post with a line-up of Shipp, Collison, Roll, and Moute out there are going to be in for a beating once UCLA is healthy, especially given Love's understanding of the game and his passing skills. I'm hoping Howland has it in him to go to a high-post set for Love, let him catch it around the free-throw line and run the offense through him there at times. He can hit that shot and he's a fantastic passer.

The Pac-10 is loaded this year and conference play should subject UCLA to a lot of talent and quite a few different styles of play to get them ready for the tournament. If they stay healthy, I expect them to be the favorite to win it all come March.

Bruins rout Yale.

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- In his first few weeks at UCLA, Kevin Love has shown he can put up spectacular numbers.

Now the freshman star has shown he has a flair for the dramatic, too.

Love froze fans headed for the exits when he fell on a Yale player after a tip-in and twisted his left ankle. He forced a collective moan when he limped to the locker room with his shoe off moments later with just over seven minutes left in the Bruins' 81-47 blowout of the Bulldogs on Friday night.

But Love ran back into the gym and waved to a roaring crowd minutes later, taking his seat on the bench with 3:45 to go and the Bruins leading by 39.

"He wanted me to put him back in," UCLA coach Ben Howland said.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=273270026

Love got 15/5 and it's his worst game stat wise, showing how good he is. 14/10 for the Prince and Mata-Real grabs 12 boards. We are going to need Collison back when we face Texas. GW is next, another test imo.

3 Ball like Piatkowski dab0yech0's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qrich
    Bruins rout Yale.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=273270026

Love got 15/5 and it's his worst game stat wise, showing how good he is. 14/10 for the Prince and Mata-Real grabs 12 boards. We are going to need Collison back when we face Texas. GW is next, another test imo.
    Aboya is out now with a broken orbital bone right near his eye and James Keefe isn't expected back til December so we really need Luc Richard, Mata-Real, and Love to stay healthy or else we have no bigs.

Current injuries:
    Keefe
    Aboya
    Roll
    Collison

Loserville USA FireMcFailPlease's Avatar

ucla's dead next week

hook em!

Local High School Star UCLAlegend32's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FireMcFailPlease
    ucla's dead next week

hook em!
    hahahahhahaha good one

Quote Originally Posted by dab0yech0
    Aboya is out now with a broken orbital bone right near his eye and James Keefe isn't expected back til December so we really need Luc Richard, Mata-Real, and Love to stay healthy or else we have no bigs.

Current injuries:
    Keefe
    Aboya
    Roll
    Collison
    Yeah, I forgot to also post that, but damn, what is with my basketball teams being bit by the injury bug this year. We are going to need a lot from those three you listed, but also Nikola Dragovic. One more injury, and we our play will really start to drop under what UCLA should be doing.

Gay injuries

Beat GW, not hosting Texas tonight. Hopefully we can contain their guards and force the tempo, like we always do.