Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast
    GiveItToBurrito
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Default Re: What's your vert?

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I understand your overarching point and while I stand by my numbers, it's not a stretch to believe many others are adding to them.

However, I had a very hard time believing Monta Ellis' max vertical was just 31''. I am also 6'3'' and house a maximum vertical higher than 31''. And while I acknowledge Ellis almost certainly has longer arms than me, there's no way he'd be dunking like he does with a lower max vert than me. In short, I'm not doing what he's doing.

After doing a small amount of research, it is my belief that 31'' is Monta Ellis' one-step vertical (which would eclipse my one-step vert). I could not find 2005 Draft Combine official results like I can with current combines, but this site (http://www.topendsports.com/sport/ba...sults-2005.htm) did provide a rundown with the matching number for Ellis. As Gerald Green is listed as having a 39'' one-step vert and is then listed in the form at the bottom as well (again with a 39'' inch vert) I feel it can be deduced that Ellis' number is likely his one-step, which makes a huge difference, considering he does the majority of his high flying off of speedy run-ups. His max vert likely far eclipses 31''.

It's just a small detail, but I just wanted to straighten that out. If guys in here have a max vert of 31'', it doesn't mean they'll be dunking like Monta.
    It's here, 31.5 max vert http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/

NBA rookie of the year IlliniFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GiveItToBurrito
    Even 30+ is pretty standard for an NBA player. It's not surprising, though, based on past threads I've discovered that ISH is filled with athletic freaks of nature with 5% body fat who can jump higher than Monta Ellis (31 inch max vert), bench press double their body weight, and someway somehow all have wing spans that would be in the 90th percentile. Props to the people who actually tell the truth, but I'm assuming that just about everyone is tacking on an extra 6 inches either on purpose or by accident.

Personally, I'm 6 feet even, average length arms, and can just barely touch the rim, so I'm guessing something like 24 inches. By the way, I'm dead average among the people I've played with at a gym NW DC that caters to both white people who moved from the burbs for work and inner city types who went because it was the only indoor court in the area that was available to the general public (well, who were willing to pay 75 dollars a month for a gym membership), all in their 20s or early 30s. A handful of people can dunk pretty comfortably, but the VAST majority - 95% or so - are also about 6 feet tall (an average height for Americans) and can touch the rim or do baby dunks which is what I'd be willing to bet is the case with ISH.
    75 a month is pretty steep. What gym is that? Lifetime? You ever play anywhere in Nova?

Anyways, yeah a ton of people on here lie, and I don't get what they have to gain from it. I'm 6'1 barefoot I believe and can easily grab rim, but I've never been able to dunk a regulation ball. I'm annoyingly close, but haven't been able to. No idea what my wingspan/standing reach is but I'd say it's a little above average just based on the fact that a lot of people have told me that I have long arms.

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniFan
    75 a month is pretty steep. What gym is that? Lifetime? You ever play anywhere in Nova?

Anyways, yeah a ton of people on here lie, and I don't get what they have to gain from it. I'm 6'1 barefoot I believe and can easily grab rim, but I've never been able to dunk a regulation ball. I'm annoyingly close, but haven't been able to. No idea what my wingspan/standing reach is but I'd say it's a little above average just based on the fact that a lot of people have told me that I have long arms.
    Depends. People have said my friend has long arms when he is 6'2 barefoot with a max 7'11 reach... which is like about as average as it gets and shorter than almost any NBA player his height (for example Deron Williams, Luther Head, and Monte Ellis are all 6'2 and have reaches of 8'2 or higher). You could have a long wingspan, but that's not going to matter much when it comes to dunking except that if you could dunk maybe you could dunk from a little further out. My friend has a 6'2 wingspan BTW so it's not like he has long arms or a high reach. Then there are those guys who really do have long arms/high reach or both. So yea it depends. At 6'1 I wouldn't be surprised if you just a decent vertical of about 31-32 or so with a 7'10 standing reach (which would be an average reach)... but I wouldn't be surprised if you had a longer reach and less vert either.

A couple things. Monte's vert although measured at only 31.5 inches... he obviously can jump higher than that now. He can't throw down any sick dunks tho just normal ones... so I'm thinking in games his vert is around around 35 or so giving him a max height of about 11'+ (since with a 31.5" vert he was reaching a max height of 10'9.5.

Blake Griffen only measured out with a 35" vertical, but he obviously jumps a higher than that in games too. Some guys don't test as well because they aren't as warm as they are in games and the adrenaline isn't there. I'd say for most guys it's like that. You could probably add a couple inches to almost everyone's vert in games.

In response to your earlier post. I'm sure some people do just lie, but I'm sure some people don't really know and just say a number that's higher than it really is, and then there are those who played basketball competitively or still do and really do have higher verts... Or even just streetballers who play a lot. Most people if they play basketball consistently and do nothing else, they will have 30+ max verts easy. If they pair that with stretching routines and weight lifting/plyos... it would be even higher. So you just can't know where everyone is coming from... But Monte Ellis is a poor example because 31.5 inch max vert for a guard in the NBA is shitty... and most average people are the size of guards so that's who you would compare them too. The average Max vert of NBA guards is 35". That's from draftexpress. Obv. the average joe's aren't going to have athe same vert on average as NBA players, but it's realistic to think that a person who plays basketball on a regular basis would have a vert over 30".
    Last edited by Swaggin916; 07-18-2011 at 03:58 AM.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by GiveItToBurrito
    Whoa, thanks for that link, I've never seen such a comprehensive list. It seems I stand corrected, though something still doesn't seem to be adding up. I remember taking a look at the 2010 Draft Combine and seeing my max vert fall right in the middle of the pack. However, my max reach was the second from lowest (among the fifty listed). 5'10'' Sherron Collins was the only guy with a lower max reach than me and I think most everyone else could at least touch 11' (maybe not Willie Warren). So to think Monta's max reach was 10'9.5'' after watching him do what he's done out there in the NBA. . .something is awry.

I'm not saying you're off point or anything though. Everything you've said has been true. It's just like, I wonder if (like Swaggin' said) Monta was just very cold or somehow uninspired? I would find it hard to believe that a guy could not go his hardest during the combine. Or maybe he's just got a better mix of jumping ability. Because with a very, very similar max reach, I've never been catching in-game alley-oops as frequently like he's done numerous times.

NBA Superstar

A slightly off-topic question, does anyone know how the "bench" portion of the draft combine works? As in, do you know how much weight they must lift?

Edit: I have read a few sites who claim it is a test of how many times a player can bench 185lbs. Does that sound right? I know basketball is not just about strength, but it is kind of interesting when I read that players like Kevin Durant could not push 185 once (and Kawhi Leonard just three times). It makes me feel jacked (even though I'm not).
    Last edited by Rake2204; 07-18-2011 at 11:35 AM.

Saw a basketball once

I am 14 years old 5'2" tall and I can touch the 9'6" and I have a running vert of 40inches approximatively(I have short arms) and I don't know my standing vert because I'm not good at 2 feet jumps so it is like only 24 inches

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by pierre2324
    I am 14 years old 5'2" tall and I can touch the 9'6" and I have a running vert of 40inches approximatively(I have short arms) and I don't know my standing vert because I'm not good at 2 feet jumps so it is like only 24 inches
    40 inch vert at 14? What is your standing reach?

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by pierre2324
    To help you out a little bit here, 9'6'' is 114'' off the ground. If your vertical was truly 40 inches, that would mean your standing reach would be 74'', the equivalent of 6'2''. That'd then mean your arms extend just 12 inches above your head, which seems relatively unlikely. For instance, as a short-armed 6'3'', my arms extend 18 inches above my head, resulting in a standing reach of 7'9''.

With respect, I'd say chances are you do not have a 40 inch vertical.

Quote Originally Posted by No Name
    can anyone tell me what my vert is? lol

im 14 ,5'6" with a 7' standing reach

i can touch glass on a regulation hoop

just gimme a bare estimate
    lol its been like 8 months

im 5'8" now but still 7' standing reach

but now i can touch rim

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by No Name
    lol its been like 8 months

im 5'8" now but still 7' standing reach

but now i can touch rim
    Only your neck and your head grew? But seriously, good stuff. I love it when hard work pays off and in return I see progress and results.

How do you measure your vertical leap?

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    How do you measure your vertical leap?
    You first need to measure your maximum standing reach. Raise your hand above your head and measure the distance from the floor to your extended fingertips. We will hypothetically presume your reach is 90 inches.

Next, you will need a way to mark how high you can reach on a wall, backboard, or vertical measure pole. Using a 10ft. rim and backboard, lets presume you jump and make a mark two inches above the 10 foot rim. This means, while jumping, you can reach 122 inches (10ft. 2in. converted to inches). You'd subtract your original reach total from your jump total to reveal your unofficial vertical jump (122-90= 32 inches).

I usually hit open layups

make sure you stretch up as hard as you can when you measure your reach..... because you'll be doing so when you jump, no need to cheat :)

Using a wall helps

Thanks for the info guys.

6'4 36 running two foot vert
    off one step I can grab rim so......