Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    3-Point Champion

Default Re: Penny Hardaway appreciation thread

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    Yes, Penny's defense was always quite good. He wasn't lazy on his man defense and I remember him being better than Hill in that aspect.

You don't appreciate him because you're not old enough to have seen him. He was only healthy for a few seasons. Penny in his prime was not overrated.
    Fair enough.

Yes, we all loved him growing up, though yes, he is overrated. I've hear several posters say that if he kept playing he'd be considered better than Vince and Tracy, etc. He was a good player, though due to being one of the most popular players back in the day he does get hyped to being something he simply wasn't, clearly evident in your post by labelling him a good defender.

Also, isn't it funny that each SG Shaq played with all became the NBA's favorite son?

You don't appreciate him because you're not old enough to have seen him. He was only healthy for a few seasons. Penny in his prime was not overrated.
    This.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Yes, we all loved him growing up, though yes, he is overrated. I've hear several posters say that if he kept playing he'd be considered better than Vince and Tracy, etc.
    I'm not sure Vince was ever as good as Penny was in 1996. Possibly 2001 or 2005, but even then it's debatable. If Penny had stayed healthy I have very little doubt he would have had a better career than both of them.

Back to Back All-NBA 1st team selections and All-NBA 3rd team in a season that he only played 59 games in. 10th in MVP voting in 1995 and 3rd in 1996. Played on four 50 win teams, 2 conference finals, an NBA finals and a 60 win team.

T-Mac was healthy a lot longer and never finished as high as 3rd in MVP voting and he only matched Penny with 2 All-NBA 1st team selections. Technically including the 2009 Rockets, T-Mac matched him with four 50 win teams, but he never made it out of the first round and never won 60 games.

Carter has never played on a 50 win team, never played in the conference finals, has just 2 all-nba selections(2nd and 3rd team) and has never finished higher than 10th in NBA voting.

As far as what they did on the court? Penny was a better passer/playmaker and defender than either of them, although they both have him beat in scoring, shooting and rebounding. But Penny was better at making his teammates better and I think he was a better winner in a 5 on 5 game of basketball.

I'm not sure Vince was ever as good as Penny was in 1996. Possibly 2001 or 2005, but even then it's debatable. If Penny had stayed healthy I have very little doubt he would have had a better career than both of them.

Back to Back All-NBA 1st team selections and All-NBA 3rd team in a season that he only played 59 games in. 10th in MVP voting in 1995 and 3rd in 1996. Played on four 50 win teams, 2 conference finals, an NBA finals and a 60 win team.

T-Mac was healthy a lot longer and never finished as high as 3rd in MVP voting and he only matched Penny with 2 All-NBA 1st team selections. Technically including the 2009 Rockets, T-Mac matched him with four 50 win teams, but he never made it out of the first round and never won 60 games.

Carter has never played on a 50 win team, never played in the conference finals, has just 2 all-nba selections(2nd and 3rd team) and has never finished higher than 10th in NBA voting.

As far as what they did on the court? Penny was a better passer/playmaker and defender than either of them, although they both have him beat in scoring, shooting and rebounding. But Penny was better at making his teammates better and I think he was a better winner in a 5 on 5 game of basketball.
    See right there, you over rate him once again.

Penny only got to the first team because Jordan was sitting out. Also, in no way was he better than Payton that season, though simply got it over him because he was the NBA's love child who sat beside the lovable Shaq. They were one of the most popular teams.
    Once again, Payton was better the following year.

Also, in no way is Penny a better defender than T-Mac. Tracy came into the league regarded as a premier defender and someone who can cause havoc for other long, athletic wings, and he did that in his first few seasons.

NBA lottery pick

McGrady when he wants to try on defense is/was better defender penny ever was.But penny in his prime was a beast. the guy could flatout score. he was great at getting to the rim. had a great mid-range game and was a very good passer.

I'm 35; I saw Penny's whole career going back to his Memphis days. Great player, but VERY overrated. People talk about him like he was Kobe/LeBron level. He wasn't; more like Brandon Roy/Joe Johnson level. In other words, he was a great player but not elite.

Decent playground baller

is this where we post about his affair with urkel?

no, just kidding .

penny was amazing in his orlando days.

i want to say he was more unfulfilled potential rather than overrated, due to his injury, but i won't hide that i was a big fan of those magic teams.

i think i also have a pair of penny IV's somewhere in my room.

Decent college freshman BFRESH44's Avatar

Appreciated.

He was a great player for a little 4-5 year stretch. Microfracture and bone spurs killed him.

I do think he tends to get overrated every nowadays. But he was very good, nonetheless.

..I remember that playoff series against the Heat like yesterday and they almost came back in Game 5.

kkling
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

He was my favorite player when I was growing up in Florida. Damn injuries.

Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

Great post. If anything he is underrated today. His name will forever be linked to Grant Hill's. He was very comparable to Hill in terms of ability but people today act as if Hill was in another league from him. Hill was better, but not by much.

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

man had some nice shoes too

still trying to get ahold of one of his jerseys

Local High School Star

Penny was great. Much better than his stats showed. I loved his game. Had a lot of Magic Johnson in his game and he was getting a lot of comparisons to Magic at that time too along with Steve Smith. He was more athletic than Magic but not as strong and obviously didn't have enough impact on the games as Magic did. His stutter dribble, hesitation move and then the EXPLOSION was one of my favorite moves of his. He also had a nice post game. Up and unders, spin moves and a sweet turnaround jumpshot. Had some nice footwork down low. His passing was great too. Amazing court vision and he had the type of passes that you made jump out of your seat. He was a good shooter as well. Mid range, pull up 3s etc. But, he did benefit from the shortened 3 point line. Solid defender too. Had a lot of hype and flash to his game. I wanna say he was a top 5 player in the league for a certain period of time. I'd say early in the '96 season where Shaq was out and he led Orlando to a great start. Orlando in 1997 also had a great record when Penny played. And who can forget his wonderful performance in the series against the Heat which was arguably the best defensive team in the league at that point along with CHI. Exploded in games 3 and 4 and literally carried them to victory. And Orlando had a bunch of injuries that series too. Sad to see such great talents like him and Grant Hill go down to injuries. He tends to get overrated by certain people who watch a couple of highlight reels and think he was a superstar in the true sense. But, definitely not terribly overrated.

Not airballing my layups anymore D3vIrGiNiz3r's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BFRESH44

Appreciated.

He was a great player for a little 4-5 year stretch. Microfracture and bone spurs killed him.

I do think he tends to get overrated every nowadays. But he was very good, nonetheless.
    Those shoes were the pwn.

Penny was starting to get overrated even before all the injuries.

When Shaq bolted to LA and Penny decided to be a scorer instead of a playmaker, he started to become overrated.