Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ILL WILL RUNS NYC WhySoInsecure?'s Avatar

Default 16 year old Texas high school star found to be 22.

ODESSA, Texas — A West Texas student who led his high school basketball team to the state playoffs last season was actually a 22-year-old man, police said Tuesday.

A West Texas student who led his high school basketball team to the state playoffs last season was actually a 22-year-old man, police said Tuesday.
    Police say the basketball star was really Guerdwich Montimere, a naturalized U.S. citizen from [COLOR=#00529b]Haiti[/COLOR] who school officials say was recognized last month by Florida coaches as having been a star high school player in [COLOR=#00529b]Fort Lauderdale[/COLOR], Fla., a few years ago.

Ector County school district officials said the man posed as 16-year-old Jerry Joseph and enrolled at Permian High School in Odessa for the 2009-2010 academic year. He also presented himself as homeless to the school's basketball coach, Danny Wright, who took the boy in last summer, the coach said.
    Montimere was arrested at Permian High on Tuesday and booked into Ector County jail on a charge of presenting false identification to a peace officer.

Officials said Jerry Joseph originally enrolled at the local junior high as a 15-year-old in February 2009, then moved on to high school.
    Permian High officials say suspicions about the player's identity first arose when three Florida basketball coaches familiar with Montimere recognized him last month at an amateur tournament in [COLOR=#00529b]Little Rock[/COLOR], Ark. The Odessa American reported that the coaches recognized him as Montimere, who graduated from [COLOR=#00529b]Dillard[/COLOR] High School in Fort Lauderdale in 2007.

School district officials said they grew more suspicious after contacting U.S. immigration officials.

Police said they arrested Montimere after confronting him about his identity.
    "I feel like I was hit by a ton of bricks," district athletic director Leon Fuller said. "In my 50 years in education, I've never heard of anything like this."
    Wright told The American that the player was like a family member.
    "This affected a lot of people. The whole school of Permian embraced that kid. He deceived us and played on everyone's emotions," Wright said.
    Montimere was being held on $500 bond Tuesday night, according to jail records. Jail officials said no attorney was listed for Montimere.

If convicted of the misdemeanor, Montimere could face up to six months in jail and a fine of up to $2,500.

The revelation means Permian likely will have to forfeit the 2009 basketball season in which the 6-foot-5 player known as Jerry Joseph led the team to District 2-5A state playoffs and earned newcomer of the year accolades.
    "I feel sick, but now that we've gotten the truth we can move on from here," said Permian principal Roy Garcia.

Permian High School's football program and the community support for it inspired the book "[COLOR=#00529b]Friday Night Lights[/COLOR]."

Stunningly, it's not the first time it has happened this school year.

Anthony Avalos attended and played basketball at Kofa High School in Yuma, Ariz., [COLOR=#aa0000]before he was caught last November[/COLOR]. Avalos, also 22, graduated from a Florida high school in 2005.

And then there was the case of Neville Davis. Playing as Steele Davis, he was the eternal sophomore, starring at several schools along the East Coast starting in 2005. He wasn't [COLOR=#aa0000]caught until April of 2009[/COLOR].

The best part about all of this is that it's probably not all that uncommon. I played JV with this Jamaican "kid" who was 19 (maybe even older), he played for a year and was nowhere to be found a year later.
    Last edited by WhySoInsecure?; 05-12-2010 at 01:08 PM.

Default Re: 16 year old Texas high school star found to be 22.

Crazy..

more on the other 2

For about four months, Yuma resident Anthony Avalos was your typical high school student. He went to class, chased some tail, and played basketball. So, when Yuma Union High School District officials found out that Avalos was actually a 22-year-old man, not a 17- or 18-year-old high school senior, it goes without saying they felt a little duped.

Oh, and the underage high school chick he admitted to police he had sex with while claiming to be a student himself -- she can't be all that thrilled either.

About half-way through the last school year, Avalos went to the school district and registered himself for school.

He never had to show any documentation of his age because of a federal law that requires schools to allow homeless kids to register for school with essentially no questions asked.

The law, the McKinney-Vento Act, was the result of droves of students who were displaced during Hurricane Katrina -- many of whom had their records destroyed by the floods in New Orleans.

Faidley says Avalos must have known about this and pounced on the opportunity to head back to school.

"We found out eventually that he is from Crestview, Florida and graduated from Crestview High School in 2005," Faidley says. "So he was in that part of the country and must of had some idea that he could do this."

Faidley says, on three separate occasions, district officials tried to contact a school in Louisiana that Avalo claimed to have attended before going to Yuma, but it never got back to them.

Faidley says it wasn't until Avalo tried to register to play basketball that his attempt to relive his high school glory days was cut short.

Avalos made a fake birth certificate on his computer, that aside from just looking fake, had spelling errors all over it.

http://forum.newsday.com/vmix_hosted...Situation.html

ESPNRISE.com -- The family of Our Savior New American's (N.Y.) [COLOR=#800080]Steele Davis[/COLOR] was scattered across the United States when Hurricane Katrina destroyed their home in the Ninth Ward of New Orleans. Davis and some of his nine siblings endured periods of homelessness and transient living, and his parents returned to the Dominican Republic, but Davis has emerged as a top basketball talent and is gaining increased collegiate interest.

Davis and Our Savior New American participated in the fourth annual Good Counsel Tip-Off Classic in early December. During the team's second-round matchup against Santa Rita (Ariz.), Davis scored 27 points and pulled down 17 rebounds.

Our Savior New American finished fifth in the Tip-Off Classic, defeating Progressive Christian 65-54.

Since Hurricane Katrina, Davis has lived in Philadelphia; New Jersey; Louisiana; and Silver Spring, Md., but now appears to have found a home in New York where he can complete his high school career.

"It has been a good transition to New York. … I'm living with a real great host family, and I like it here," Davis said. "It is real good up here in terms of the academics. The class sizes are small, like 20 to 25 students in a class. They take academics seriously and really work on it. I had a 3.1 GPA this period. I'm working on my basketball, and the coaches and players are good here. The important thing is to get a good education and get to college."

Though still raw as a basketball player, Davis showed enormous potential while playing in the Kids First summer basketball league in Washington, D.C., while living in Silver Spring.

After considering a couple of D.C.-area private high schools, Davis ultimately landed at Our Savior New American, a private school coached by the Rev. Ron Stelzer. Stelzer has sent a number of basketball players to Division I colleges over the years, including a number of foreign-born players.

"Steele is working out well here," Stelzer said. "He is a good young man. He is a big kid and has a lot of talent and potential, though he needs more experience and to work on his game. He missed a little time in the preseason and is a little behind in his conditioning right now, but he is a big kid, a legitimate 6-8, maybe going on 6-9, and he is very strong and has a very good frame. He has a chance to be a very good player."

Davis is not yet a household name in recruiting circles, but USC, Maryland, Virginia Tech, Memphis, Florida, Georgetown, LSU, Syracuse, DePaul and Boston College have already been in touch with the powerfully built 6-8, 225-pound sophomore.

As a freshman, Davis played one semester at a Rise School, a private school in Philadelphia, before going to Baton Rouge, La. Davis averaged 14 points and 11 rebounds at Rise School and maintained a 3.0 GPA for the year.

After spending last summer living in Maryland, Davis enrolled at Our Savior for the fall.

At this point early in his prep career, Davis is still rather raw in terms of his floor skills, but he is strong, has very good hands, plays physically and is showing more confidence in his ability to put the ball on the floor and face up on offense.

Davis wants to play Division I college basketball and said his favorite college is Georgetown University. He met coach John Thompson III while in D.C. this summer and is impressed by Georgetown's academic and basketball excellence.

"I almost committed to Georgetown this summer," Davis said. "It is a great school that I like a lot."

Davis plans to spend this summer back in the Maryland and D.C. area playing AAU basketball and working on his game.

Davis is not yet a complete basketball player, but he and his family have overcome a number of setbacks already in his young life, and he has maintained a great attitude and perspective. With continued basketball improvement, Davis could become one of the top players for the Class of 2011.

This was before news came out that he's not 16 but 20
    There's a bunch of articles on this 6'8 "rising" star

According to Davis, during his first interview with NYCHoops.net, he claimed that he is currently a 16 year old sop****re, but allegations have surfaced that would appear to not only contradict that claim but more.

NYCHoops.net was contacted by AAU Coach, Nate Cadogan, who said he coached Davis in 2005. "His name isn't Steele Davis, it's Neville Davis and he played for me on the Lamar Odom All-Stars," said Cadogan. The Lamar Odom All-stars a/k/a Team Odom is an AAU team sponsored by and named after the LA Lakers NBA star. Cadogan provided NYCHoops.net with a team photograph, including Neville Davis, and a copy of the Davis' signed 2005 team application which Neville Davis lists his date of birth as May 5th 1988 and his high school as Pacific High School.

Cadogan said that he recently ran into Neville Davis in March, after reading the NYCHoops.net article, at the CYP Tournament in Port Chester, NY where he was playing with a team called Frenji Sports under the name, Steele Davis. Cadogan says he confronted Davis regarding his correct age. "He (Davis) told me he was 19, but I know even that's not true if he was sixteen back in '05," says Cadogan.

Ken Coard is listed as Davis' High School Coach at a Pacific High School on the 2005 Team Odom application but Coard said that he didn't coach Davis in high school. Coard said, "I met him at the Berkshire School, where I coached in 2005. He just came for a visit." Coard said that Sean Arnold, who coached Team Roc, originally told him about Davis. "Sean told me that he saw Neville (recently) playing with Our Savior New American at a tournament," said Coard.

NYCHoops.net contacted Steele Davis' current school, Our Savior New American (OSNA) in Centereach, NY where he listed his date of birth as May the 5th but 1992, according to OSNA Head Master and Coach Bob Bass. Coach Bass said that according to the transcripts received on 'Steele Davis', he was a freshman at RISE Academy and transferred to Scotlandville Magnet High School in Baton Rouge, LA. The reason sited by Davis for leaving RISE, according to Bass, was because RISE did not meet NCAA standards.

NYCHoops.net contacted Sam Rimes who runs RISE Academy school in North Hills, PA. Rimes said, "First off, RISE Academy is not a high school. It's a basketball academy so I don't why he'd list us. He came to me in June of 2007 and said he was 17 and wanted to be a repeat sop****re. I put him in Northeast Prep but he had no transcripts. "When asked why he had no transcripts, Rimes says, "He said he lost them in (Hurricane) Katrina."

Last edited by WhySoInsecure?; 05-12-2010 at 02:14 PM.

Decent playground baller Lancerballer21's Avatar

Seriously... what r these kids...oh wait... men thinking when they do this?

he looks like a grown man in that last pic, lol.

he probably destroyed some 16 year old dreams along the way of reliving his.

Quote Originally Posted by WhySoInsecure?
    Lol, naturally balding in High School... big clue?

WE MISS U CHALMERS :( JerrySteakhouse's Avatar

That must have been fun.

this happens all the time in the LLWS, but not that much of an age difference

Saw a basketball once

actually i know STEELE DAVIS personally. he was a highschool friend of mine at Our Savior. You all can sit here and act like you know him so well. He is one of the sweetest guys I know. And regardless of age and what not, he deserved a chance to do right. He wasnt given this chance because of Katrina. So before you all go judging him, grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by carinamarie
    actually i know STEELE DAVIS personally. he was a highschool friend of mine at Our Savior. You all can sit here and act like you know him so well. He is one of the sweetest guys I know. And regardless of age and what not, he deserved a chance to do right. He wasnt given this chance because of Katrina. So before you all go judging him, grow up.
    Ok were going to listen to you, Steele Davis.

Saw a basketball once

im not him, hes a highschool friend of mine

im not him, hes a highschool friend of mine

Lol ok. It's super gay to call another man, who is a grown man, sweet.

Saw a basketball once

lol yeah, but im not a man? haha. i was a cheerleader for his basketball team at Our Savior. And was involved with his teammate. I know more about basketball than you think.

lol yeah, but im not a man? haha. i was a cheerleader for his basketball team at Our Savior. And was involved with his teammate. I know more about basketball than you think.
    Facebook.