Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: [VIDEO] Who here would like to see the 1973 NBA all-stars?

Quote Originally Posted by IGotACoolStory
    What happened to Charlie Scott?

Played great in the ABA, was a premier scorer in the NBA for his first years, and then sort of fizzled off.
    The wrong team maybe, or drugs, not sure. He was a college and street ball legend.

It seems after he joined Boston, he was put behind Hondo, Jo Jo White (at the swing spots) and Cowens. So he went from the star in Phoenix with a declining Connie Hawkins to playing behind some hall of famers and Finals MVP in Jo Jo White.

It just struck me - Rick Barry is not on the All Star team this year. He was already back in the NBA by 1972-1973, according to basketball-reference.com. His teammate Nate Thurmond's there, but the charismatic, soi disant "basketball gypsy" wasn't.

Last edited by Gotterdammerung; 09-03-2012 at 06:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotterdammerung
    It just struck me - Rick Barry is not on the All Star team this year. He was already back in the NBA by 1972-1973, according to basketball-reference.com. His teammate Nate Thurmond's there, but the charismatic, soi disant "basketball gypsy" wasn't.

He was injured.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCrayon
    He was injured.
    And yet according to basketball reference, he played in all 82 games that season.

National High School Star

Gotta say...i jokingly hate on jlauber a lot cuz for some reason he doesn't seem to understand how the internet works but between him and you I've learned a ridiculous amount about old school basketball. The more I watch it I feel that my original assertions; the peak players could cut it in today's era..it's just that the overall talent level and competition was much weaker as a whole is very valid. Ergo, stats being inflated quite a bit. Still the best of the best from those era's are such a pleasure to watch.

This is such a great, clear good copy..thanks for posting it up! Can't wait to watch it in it's entirety this weekend. I'm glad the commentating is there too...that makes a ton of difference.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Gotterdammerung
    And yet according to basketball reference, he played in all 82 games that season.

Barry had a minor ankle sprain.

Quote Originally Posted by sundizz
    Gotta say...i jokingly hate on jlauber a lot cuz for some reason he doesn't seem to understand how the internet works but between him and you I've learned a ridiculous amount about old school basketball. The more I watch it I feel that my original assertions; the peak players could cut it in today's era..it's just that the overall talent level and competition was much weaker as a whole is very valid. Ergo, stats being inflated quite a bit. Still the best of the best from those era's are such a pleasure to watch.

This is such a great, clear good copy..thanks for posting it up! Can't wait to watch it in it's entirety this weekend. I'm glad the commentating is there too...that makes a ton of difference.
    valid, or invalid? it doesn't look valid to me - not based on the documentaries and game footage I have. The worst teams and talent back then look no worse than the worst teams and talent now.

o()xxx[{::::::::::::> SourPatchKids's Avatar

Commentators sound like horse racing announcers.

This is an entertaining game to watch before this 2013 NBA season comes into full swing - great chance to see some old school ballers in action! I recommend more fans watch this game if they haven't already

Like Hondo, Cowens is so underrated all-time.

Watching Maravich getting burned on defense makes me lol.

Will watch... Tiny, Maravich, Hondo, Wilt, West, Hawkins and so on, in action, clearly a must watch.

Bump

Real Men Watch Full Games