Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Decent playground baller L3B120N J4M35's Avatar

Default Shooting like Stephen Curry?

man i wanna have the ability he has to shoot

how?

Love Live Life

Default Re: Shooting like Stephen Curry?

Quote Originally Posted by L3B120N J4M35
    man i wanna have the ability he has to shoot

how?

Bruh you gotta practice practice practice and practice. You gotta sleep with the basketball at night and shoot over a hundred jumpers a day.

Gooner | Heat Nation EnoughSaid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheReal Kendall
    Bruh you gotta practice practice practice and practice. You gotta sleep with the basketball at night and shoot over a hundred jumpers a day.
    More like 500 jumpers a day. You have to spend hours upon hours every day at the gym, perfecting your stroke and everything. With the right work ethic and attitude, you could probably become a pretty good shooter who can hit from 3, but not like Curry. That dude is out of this world.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by EnoughSaid
    More like 500 jumpers a day. You have to spend hours upon hours every day at the gym, perfecting your stroke and everything. With the right work ethic and attitude, you could probably become a pretty good shooter who can hit from 3, but not like Curry. That dude is out of this world.
    You just got me really movitated Imma go outside and shoot 500 jumpers. Thanks for the motivation

Earned not given

Have to shoot around 1000 jumpers a day. Up close, elbow, wing, college corner 3, top of the key college 3, nba corner 3, nba top of the key 3.

Your form has to be textbook; elbow in, open stance, fire the shot on the way up, balanced, and a quick release.

Need to work on your conditioning so your legs don't get tired very much during games.

Also need to work on leg strength so you can shoot from distance. Legs are where the power comes from when shooting from long range.

Perfect practice makes perfect.

Love Live Life

Quote Originally Posted by Shade8780
    You just got me really movitated Imma go outside and shoot 500 jumpers. Thanks for the motivation
    Your arms gonna feel like noodles afterwards but its worth it if you improve

Decent playground baller L3B120N J4M35's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheReal Kendall
    Your arms gonna feel like noodles afterwards but its worth it if you improve
    even if your not shooting exactly the correct form every time, will it still improve? and what do you count them or just guess.

Banned

I remember Larry Bird said he used to shoot 700-800 shots a day.

I rule the local playground keepinitreal's Avatar

I honestly think half of it is practice and the other half is genetic. You have guys in the NBA who shoot thousands of free throws in games/practices, but they don't improve much.

Also, if you are going to practice a lot, buy a very good basketball. If you can, try to get someone to practice with you to get rebounds, pass it to you (shooting off the dribble and off the pass are different), and play loose defense on you.

Saw a basketball once

You need to practice a lot and also practice the right way. Study how he shoots, his shot is pretty much textbook - elbows in, uses legs and shoots on the way up and follow through. I recommend checking out shotscience on youtube.

Btw I read somewhere that for you to fully embrace your shot and become automatic, you gotta shoot around 200,000 times.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Cross30
    You need to practice a lot and also practice the right way. Study how he shoots, his shot is pretty much textbook - elbows in, uses legs and shoots on the way up and follow through. I recommend checking out shotscience on youtube.

Btw I read somewhere that for you to fully embrace your shot and become automatic, you gotta shoot around 200,000 times.

I've heard it takes about 20,000 shots to change your form.

Keys from what I've seen (not necessarily experienced)

Form shooting > start close then move out > stationary > off the dribble

Learn the fundamentals before you try to learn how to shoot like Curry.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Cross30
    You need to practice a lot and also practice the right way.
    Yep yep. It often seems the first thing that's often thrown out when someone wants to improve their jumper is, "You have to shoot 100, 500, 1000, or 100000 jumpers per day." I also believe repetition is important, but not nearly as important as establishing the correct form.

And sure, I know practicing the right form sounds obvious, but it's truly not. Number of shots is very commonly held to a higher standard than the types of shots one is taken. I find it similar to the idea that the longer you're at a basketball court, the better you're going to get. When in truth, if one is able to practice for five hours at a time, there's a chance that means they might just not be going hard enough. I remember reading how Richard Hamilton's basketball workouts were relatively brief, because he went hard for the duration.

It's kind of like, what's more effective - a guy who's hammering 1,000 crooked nails over a five hour period? Or the guy who took the time to learn how to do it right? And is it possible for the guy with the correct form to hammer 1,000 nails? Sure. But in terms of basketball shooting, the cart is often put before the horse.

And as amber said, it takes a lot of reps to change one's stroke and that's the other issue I look out for when a player is attempting to put in a lot of reps at one time. I work with my little brother's shooting touch (15 years old) and when we're actually going through and piecing it together, it really begins to look legit. And when we get to actually putting in action, again, it looks pretty solid. But if he does not focus on every single one of the jumpers he's taking, can you guess what happens? His old form leaks back in and before you know it, the feet are together and crooked again, the body's twisting, the whole shebang.

So I guess I say all this as caution. If you're going to put up a lot of shots at one time, make sure it's the right stroke first. Shooting a lot of the wrong shot may still help a little, but not as much as you'd probably prefer.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 04-12-2013 at 10:46 AM.

dude, steph curry has been shooting a basketball probably since the age of 3, with one of the deadliest shooters of all time teaching him every day of his life. In order to get to that level you need to shoot so many shots you would probably lose count. Steph has probably been shooting hundreds of shots a day since the age of 11 or something. Even if his dad IS Dell Curry, probably the first thing his dad told him was you gotta put up shotsssss

what a lot of people dont know about Dell Curry is that he actually broke his left wrist as a kid and he used to shoot with one hand only on the basketball, and because of it he says he learned how to shoot with proper form. Even used to warmup shooting one handers with the Raptors.

Good college starter Rubio2Gasol's Avatar

Shooting with one hand helps with form? That seems counterproductive at first thought.

Earned not given

Quote Originally Posted by Rubio2Gasol
    Shooting with one hand helps with form? That seems counterproductive at first thought.
    You're supposed to shoot with one hand. Your off-hand is just a guide.