Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

Default Re: Bradley Manning sentenced to 35 years

Quote Originally Posted by longtime lurker
    SMH. I doubt this guy will survive in prison. Couldn't he have gotten something ridiculous like 200 years?
    I heard he was originally up for 90 years and they brought it down to 65 then 35. He got less time because the judges agreed he put no american lives in danger.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    You don't know the history of the Ellsberg case do you?
    I know a lot about it. He was never treated like Manning and he revealed far more sensitive information.

Hopefully, Manning will be able to follow through and become a better person.
    That statement sounds like someone already preparing for his first parole hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
    I know a lot about it. He was never treated like Manning and he revealed far more sensitive information.
    Sensitive information about a war Americans wanted to move on from and forget. People knew the Vietnam war was horrible, and pointless (from their POV). Bradley revealed sensitive info about a war that people quite frankly don't give a shit about compared to back in the day, where there were rallies all over the place to bring our soldiers home. Ellsburg was backed by his fellow Americans. I hope that todays society and social media can help back up Manning and get him out of jail.

He didn't realize this would be the outcome of what he was doing? He leaked government secrets, you are going to jail. You don't get to pick and choose which laws you follow and you which you don't. I feel bad for him but didn't he commit the crime of which he's going to jail for?

If you think Manning's sole motivation was heroic, you're wrong. Revenge was one of his big motivations as well. Which is why he didn't just release information on wrongdoing, but grabbed everything he could steal, because he was in a ****ed up place and hated the army. He released tons of shit he never even looked at.

He was in a ****ed up place for a lot of reasons, but probably the biggest was he feels he was born a woman (I can't imagine what living with that in the army must be like) and just broken up with his first boyfriend. Even he was discovered as the leaker, he was going to be discharged from the army because he punched a female soldier in the face. Even before he joined the Army he pulled a knife on his stepmother.

So he had a lot of issues going on and in addition, he realized he hated being in the Army and felt the War he was part of was unjustified.

If you think Manning was a cut and dried hero, you're wrong. You're denying him his complications, his flaws and his essential humanity if you prefer the cardboard version of him. His courtroom statement to me reads like someone who has spent some time thinking about what he did and why and honestly regrets the choices he made. If you want to read more about Manning, I recommend this.

http://nymag.com/news/features/bradley-manning-2011-7/

Yes, Manning exposed wrongdoing. He also committed a bunch too. I feel sorry for the kid.

If you think Manning's sole motivation was heroic, you're wrong. Revenge was one of his big motivations as well. Which is why he didn't just release information on wrongdoing, but grabbed everything he could steal, because he was in a ****ed up place and hated the army. He released tons of shit he never even looked at.

He was in a ****ed up place for a lot of reasons, but probably the biggest was he feels he was born a woman (I can't imagine what living with that in the army must be like) and just broken up with his first boyfriend. Even he was discovered as the leaker, he was going to be discharged from the army because he punched a female soldier in the face. Even before he joined the Army he pulled a knife on his stepmother.

So he had a lot of issues going on and in addition, he realized he hated being in the Army and felt the War he was part of was unjustified.

If you think Manning was a cut and dried hero, you're wrong. You're denying him his complications, his flaws and his essential humanity if you prefer the cardboard version of him. His courtroom statement to me reads like someone who has spent some time thinking about what he did and why and honestly regrets the choices he made. If you want to read more about Manning, I recommend this.

Yes, Manning exposed wrongdoing. He also committed a bunch too. I feel sorry for the kid.
    This doesn't matter one bit whatsoever, him becomming a potential transvestit is so unimportant in the whole scenario.

He whistled on crimes being kept secret by the US government, but he himself is the one to get convicted, that's what matters.

Ellsberg was a civilian when he leaked the Pentagon Papers and Manning was an active-duty soldier. Ellsberg also was indicted and was facing something like 110 if he was found guilty, so the "even Nixon" bullshit is simply bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster
    This doesn't matter one bit whatsoever, him becomming a potential transvestit is so unimportant in the whole scenario.

He whistled on crimes being kept secret by the US government, but he himself is the one to get convicted, that's what matters.
    He was transgender/transexual not a transvestite. He didn't merely want to dress in women's clothes (some men who do that are completely straight) he was looking into hormone therapy and sexual reassignment surgery. It would not have mattered, if it wasn't the cause of great stress in his life. Several of his fellow soldiers thought he was near a breakdown. Manning himself has described how deeply unhappy he was. Again this is guy who pulled a knife on his stepmother and punched a female solider in the face, if he was thinking clearly, he could have thought more clearly about the consequences of his actions. Remember he plead guilty to multiple crimes. Crimes he had taken oathes to uphold multiple times.

NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

He was transgender/transexual not a transvestite. He didn't merely want to dress in women's clothes (some men who do that are completely straight) he was looking into hormone therapy and sexual reassignment surgery. It would not have mattered, if it wasn't the cause of great stress in his life. Several of his fellow soldiers thought he was near a breakdown. Manning himself has described how deeply unhappy he was. Again this is guy who pulled a knife on his stepmother and punched a female solider in the face, if he was thinking clearly, he could have thought more clearly about the consequences of his actions. Remember he plead guilty to multiple crimes. Crimes he had taken oathes to uphold multiple times.

Typical KevinNYC post. You always seem to go on an ad hominem attack on the person if you disagree with them/their actions.. You try to discredit the guy and try to make him look guilty by digging up scandalous dirt on him. Newsflash this isn't E! or some celebrity gossip magazine, we don't give a shit if he thought he was a woman or if he likes men..

Him being a transgender and private details about his life isn't relevant to the case on hand. Him being a transgender doesn't change the fact that US soldiers were massacring some civillians.

You're basically saying he should go to jail because he was a transgender which is SAD

Again, it just doesn't matter what his motives where, what matters is that a bunch of BS that the US government tried to keep secret was exposed. Him punching another soldier in the face doesn't make the guy laughing in the video saying he just killed a bunch of bastards any better.

Smear campaign against the guy wont work, because what he revelead was the truth taken from documents hidden from the general public. We aren't taking his word for these things, only what we see from the documents and videos released because of him.

NBA rookie of the year

Maybe you like to seem semi-retarded but I hope that you realize that none of above made a difference at all in terms of the sentence he got.

Quote Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
    kill a father and his 2 kids.
    Fortunately, the kids didn't die.

Quote Originally Posted by knickballer
    Typical KevinNYC post. You always seem to go on an ad hominem attack on the person if you disagree with them/their actions.. You try to discredit the guy and try to make him look guilty by digging up scandalous dirt on him. Newsflash this isn't E! or some celebrity gossip magazine, we don't give a shit if he thought he was a woman or if he likes men..

Him being a transgender and private details about his life isn't relevant to the case on hand. Him being a transgender doesn't change the fact that US soldiers were massacring some civillians.

You're basically saying he should go to jail because he was a transgender which is SAD
    No, I'm saying he should go to jail because he clearly committed serious crimes, crimes that he plead guilty too. Just because someone did something worse doesn't change that. He's guilty.

As for him being transgender, I do think it's relevant. This is a perfect post about denying Bradley Manning his contradictions and his humanity. You think the fact he feels he is a woman is scandalous and dirty. You claim I think he should go to jail because he was transgender. No. I think his being transgender in the army was a source of enormous psychological stress that contributed to his not thinking straight. If you can't see the empathy in my earlier statement, that's on you. It's also the same argument that Manning lawyers used in his defense.
    Last edited by KevinNYC; 08-21-2013 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by millwad
    Maybe you like to seem semi-retarded but I hope that you realize that none of above made a difference at all in terms of the sentence he got.
    Again, Manning's lawyers brought his mental state and his gender dysmorphia during the sentencing phase of his trial.

Defense lawyer David Coombs portrayed Manning as a well-intentioned but isolated soldier with gender identification issues, and he asked Lind to impose “a sentence that allows him to have a life.”
    Manning's lawyer is a good one and there a reason he brought up Manning's mental state.The prosecutors were asking for 60 years. The judge gave him 35.