Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast
    National High School Star

Default Re: Feinstein to introduce assault weapons ban bill

Quote Originally Posted by Droid101
    Mexico's cartels are more powerful than their government. They can't enforce anything, let alone any kind of weapons ban.
    The deaths cannot be compared.

One is a nut case, shoot up innocents at a school, while the other are shooting up drug dealers and for territory.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by shlver
    If someone really wanted to commit an extreme crime like this, they will find a way to do it. What should be discussed is finding and implementing better security measures and fixing the broken infrastructure of our schools.

there is just no way to play defensive against these attacks. they're so random and its so easy for anyone to walk into a school during a random time of day and start blowing people away. just think of how easy something like that would be for you to do....and then to think they're supposed to be on the lookout for you 365 days a year at every hour? yeah right...

then again i feel the same way about our defensive posture vs terrorism. eventually its going to happen again until you can do something about the sources of it all.

Quote Originally Posted by BMOGEFan
    Just ignore him. He still doesn't believe mental illness is the biggest contributor to murders. He still believes guns are the biggest factor.
    I'll take your word for it. Mental illness is the biggest contributor to murders.

What is the solution? How about getting guns out of their hands while helping them? How do we do that? Gun restriction, accountability, so on.

Thinking guns will have absolutely no effect is naiive. Give a nutcase access to a knife and a gun will give you totally different scenarios.

The deaths cannot be compared.

One is a nut case, shoot up innocents at a school, while the other are shooting up drug dealers and for territory.

lets just ban cars for everyone since there are drunk drivers and asian female drivers

- You are the road....in a vehicle that mostly is built for transportation/safety.....you take a chance everytime you operate a motorized vehicle in wich is useful to 99% of the population....someone could cuase a accident...I'am fully aware of that everytime I Drive.

- Going to Kindergarden?......to the movies?.....shopping?......with a threat of someone with high powered Firearm ( a firearm That is 99% useless to the civilian population) Killing everyone in sight....

weak sauce.....not even in the same area code kid.

next

코비=GOAT

Quote Originally Posted by ripthekik
    Sure, my claim in saying it doesn't cause direct death was wrong, I fixed it, now I set it up above for comparison. Since you challenged me on that, now why don't you take on the comparison and tell me which is likely to cause more death?
    There is a comparison imo. Alcohol is heavily regulated because of the danger it causes. It is illegal in some places like public areas, while legal in some where it is managed like homes and bars. If used improperly, as in the case of drunk driving, it does cause harm which comes with legal ramifications. Similarly, I agree, that something that is designed to kill should be heavily regulated. There is a comparison there. Not an outright ban, but heavy regulation.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Rose
    The bill will NOT be retroactive...as in it will not effect the assault weapons that people already have...it will ban further purchases.

I think it's a decent start. Look, obviously most gun deaths aren't from these types of weapons. These weapons are still the ones most capable of mass killing and overall convey and uphold a culture of gun obsession and gun nurturing. I would be fine with having a specific license with an extensive process to allow people like hunters to have these weapons...but they don't belong in anyone's house or in the streets of our neighborhoods.
    I would agree with that. I am just wondering if they will go for handgun bans next if another nut kills 30+ people while duel wielding pistols. Outright bans are never the answer because you don't know where they will stop.

Da Mavs

Quote Originally Posted by Graviton
    I would agree with that. I am just wondering if they will go for handgun bans next if another nut kills 30+ people while duel wielding pistols. Outright bans are never the answer because you don't know where they will stop.
    They won't do outright bans...it's impractical and literally impossible here too. If that became an issue too, I'd imagine more background checks,etc before being able to buy a gun.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
    - You are the road....in a vehicle that mostly is built for transportation/safety.....you take a chance everytime you operate a motorized vehicle in wich is useful to 99% of the population....someone could cuase a accident...I'am fully aware of that everytime I Drive.

- Going to Kindergarden?......to the movies?.....shopping?......with a threat of someone with high powered Firearm ( a firearm That is 99% useless to the civilian population) Killing everyone in sight....

weak sauce.....not even in the same area code kid.

next
    read my other post regarding why gun advocates make an argument regarding drunk drivers.

코비=GOAT

Quote Originally Posted by Godzuki
    there is just no way to play defensive against these attacks. they're so random and its so easy for anyone to walk into a school during a random time of day and start blowing people away. just think of how easy something like that would be for you to do....and then to think they're supposed to be on the lookout for you 365 days a year at every hour? yeah right...

then again i feel the same way about our defensive posture vs terrorism. eventually its going to happen again until you can do something about the sources of it all.
    Isn't that a problem? That's what my post is addressing. Security of schools.

I don't know how there can be a solution to this problem though. How can you protect every single public place? Schools aren't the only places shooting can occur. The next shooting could be at another movie theater, park, church. The main problem here isn't school shooting, it's shooting.
    You'd need to hire so much manpower and security guards and forces, it wouldn't really be efficient in the end.

You are a ****ing idiot. so you want to punish hunters, sports recreationalist all due to a nut case?
    What's the "sport" in hunting with assault rifles? I could take down a rhino with a AK-47 equipped with a grenade launcher...hell, gimme a bazooka and I'll be the GOAT hunter, Dumbo and his pack won't have a chance

You want sport? Tackle a silverback gorilla mano a mano, fakkit, shooting him from 100 yards away with a high powered sniper rifle doesn't make you more of a man.

코비=GOAT

Quote Originally Posted by ripthekik
    I don't know how there can be a solution to this problem though. How can you protect every single public place? Schools aren't the only places shooting can occur. The next shooting could be at another movie theater, park, church. The main problem here isn't school shooting, it's shooting.
    You'd need to hire so much manpower and security guards and forces, it wouldn't really be efficient in the end.
    By attacking the real underlying problems of criminality.It does have its roots in mental health, culture, and yes it is influenced by ease of access. You're missing the point about schools. It is our responsibility to provide a safe environment where children can learn. A place that can be entered by ANY individual is not safe and is irresponsible. My point about legislation is that our political system is so influenced by money that any regulation is futile. Better to invest in our rundown schools and make them safer than to start another congressional deadlock.

Banned

But schools aren't the only places where mass shootings occur. What about movie theaters, malls, parks, buses, subways, etc and so on? Is your solution to have guards with M-16s or metal detectors in those places 24/7? The issue that some people keep bringing up ridiculous and nonsensical comparisons to deflect is guns and people's access to them. If I'm not mistaken, the school where the massacre occurred upped their security in the days/weeks leading up to the massacre. But someone with legally obtained killing machines made that null and void.

Give me one good reason why the populace should have access to these weapons (without counting 'fighting tyranny' like this is 1776, or 'it's a more fun hobby than playing poker').

코비=GOAT

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    But schools aren't the only places where mass shootings occur. What about movie theaters, malls, parks, buses, subways, etc and so on? Is your solution to have guards with M-16s or metal detectors in those places 24/7? The issue that some people keep bringing up ridiculous and nonsensical comparisons to deflect is guns and people's access to them. If I'm not mistaken, the school where the massacre occurred upped their security in the days/weeks leading up to the massacre. But someone with legally obtained killing machines made that null and void.

Give me one good reason why the populace should have access to these weapons (without counting 'fighting tyranny' like this is 1776, or 'it's a more fun hobby than playing poker').
    I don't have a good reason because I think they should be banned alongside handguns. The only firearms I think should be allowed are hunting rifles and shotguns for home protection and those should be heavily regulated.