Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    Very good NBA starter ConanRulesNBC's Avatar

Default Re: Why is the NBA the least popular sport nowadays?

The NFL is in a league of it's own when it comes to popularity here in the U.S. Even baseball doesn't have a chance.

I don't really think tv ratings can be looked at too closely to find the "popularity" of sports.

A lot of NBA teams struggle to sell 16,000 tix for a game now, while anything under 20,000 for an MLB game is silly. So if the nba is watched more on tv, but more people are attending baseball games, doesn't it even out a bit?

The Pistons always struggle in this town for popularity

The Lions get more ink and airtime than any other team

Very good NBA starter ConanRulesNBC's Avatar

Speaking of the NHL and the Blackhawks is anyone else excited for the Blackhawks vs. Red Wings game at Wrigley Field this Thursday? That's going to be awesome to see.

Soccer is even less popular. But worldwide...

#1 Soccer
    #2 Basketball

Hmm, I wonder if there

Serious playground baller

The NHL isn't more popular in America, but it's more popular in literally every single other country both the NBA and NHL are shown.

There isn't another country in the world outside of china that follows the NBA (like they do in North America). Yet if you go to Finland, Sweden, Russia or the Czech Republic , not only do they follow their own hockey leagues, but they all watch hockey religiously. The only sport more popular being Soccer.

Why do you think hockey makes so much money yet nobody in America watches it? It's all money from Canada and the viewership overseas. The Russian Hockey league alone makes all of the European basketball leagues look like it's run by ****ing amateurs. Also, why do you think international hockey is so competitive? You have many players from all over the world who are all equally as good as each other. It's not like basketball where Europeans are only now starting to become good, but still don't match Americans.

Also take note that the NBA is declining. Less people watching it on TV, less people in attendance at games, less new coverage, less money being made. While the NHL is beating the NBA in attendance, and is gaining in popularity. Being the second fastest growing sport in America next to only Mixed Martial Arts.

I love the NBA and basketball, but it is in trouble. It's declining in North America big time. The only viable option for them to expand is into China. The European markets can barely keep a Euro team because of the lack of interest. The NHL will be expanding into Russia, Sweden, Czech Republic and Finland before long, all of which could house very valuable teams.

The NBA won't be like the NFL where the NFL can stay in America forever due to it's GIGANTIC wealth and popularity. The NBA, much like the NHL will be forced to expand internationally. The problem being the International markets are not developed enough in terms of basketball talent or interest to house teams. Outside of China the only two countries with stable enough economies to have an NBA team would be Italy and Spain. Problem being, Soccer to them is like the Football to Americans, and will always, forever, overshadow basketball.

ON a side note. the NHL opened up the season in Europe this year and set records for the most viewed sport on TV and the largest attendance for a sport that wasn't soccer in the countries involved.
    Last edited by Trax416; 12-29-2008 at 03:55 AM.

Serious playground baller

[QUOTE=dhenk]Soccer is even less popular. But worldwide...

#1 Soccer
    #2 Basketball

Hmm, I wonder if there

maybe because of things like this:
    http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=114426

Apparently the NBA is no longer a team sport anymore. It's all about individuals. IMO

The NHL isn't more popular in America, but it's more popular in literally every single other country both the NBA and NHL are shown.
    (apart from North America) Only Scandanavia and some parts of Eastern Europe pay any attention to Ice Hockey. Don't act like it's a global icon. And I wonder why all those Icy nations play Ice Hockey, I wonder.

There isn't another country in the world outside of china that follows the NBA (like they do in North America).
    And no country follows the Serie A as much as Italy, even in their golden era in the 90's.

It's not like basketball where Europeans are only now starting to become good, but still don't match Americans.
    Even though that statement isn't factually accurate, I will say this - I'm a member of a European Football Forum (Soccer) and in the Off topic section there's a thread titled "NBA 08/09 season thread" which has over 3000 posts so far with so little of the season gone. There isn't even a thread about Hockey.

Them being "good" or not has nothing to do with the popularity of the two sports. Greece and Turkey don't have the squad to match the States, so are you gonna tell me they aren't huge ball loving nations? Or more laughably that Hockey is bigger there?

Quote Originally Posted by Trax416
    No. Cricket, Rugby, etc.. are all more popular then basketball. So is hockey, because hockey includes field hockey, and field hockey is more popular then basketball, as it's played by billions of people (main sport in India and many asian countries).
    On a Gobal scale? Hell no. Only commonwealth nations play Rugby and Cricket, where as Basketball has a more consistent supporter base throughout the world.

Hockey? Australia is the best Field Hockey nation in the world. It isn't televised, nor does it have a professional league. No one gives a **** about it - In Year 10 we had two options for spring sports competition, it was between Field Hockey and Basketball. EVERY boy chose Basketball, every spot was filled. It got to the point kids wanted to referee the games then be forced into Field Hockey.

And why are you grouping Field and Ice Hockey together? Enthusiasts of both codes will tell you their both different and ditest each code.

Yeah, I

Quote Originally Posted by EricForman
    Maybe it applies to America.

But to the world, NBA has a brighter--by far--future than NFL, NHL and baseball combined.

People in Asia and Europe will never give a crap about football. But basketball will grow. Bball is easily be the second biggest sport in the world.

Trust me, the NBA is fine. They're huge all around the world... while 95 out of 100 people in Hong Kong (where I'm at right now) wouldn't know who the hell Tom Brady is.

Amen. The Bucks@Rockets (Yi vs Yao) drew more viewers worldwide then the any mlb/nfl/nascar-event has ever had. You wanna know how the owners feel about that?

Yeah, I

Quote Originally Posted by Trax416

There isn't another country in the world outside of china that follows the NBA (like they do in North America). Yet if you go to Finland, Sweden, Russia or the Czech Republic , not only do they follow their own hockey leagues, but they all watch hockey religiously. The only sport more popular being Soccer.

Why do you think hockey makes so much money yet nobody in America watches it? It's all money from Canada and the viewership overseas. The Russian Hockey league alone makes all of the European basketball leagues look like it's run by ****ing amateurs. Also, why do you think international hockey is so competitive? You have many players from all over the world who are all equally as good as each other. It's not like basketball where Europeans are only now starting to become good, but still don't match Americans.

Also take note that the NBA is declining. Less people watching it on TV, less people in attendance at games, less new coverage, less money being made. While the NHL is beating the NBA in attendance, and is gaining in popularity. Being the second fastest growing sport in America next to only Mixed Martial Arts.

I love the NBA and basketball, but it is in trouble. It's declining in North America big time. The only viable option for them to expand is into China. The European markets can barely keep a Euro team because of the lack of interest. The NHL will be expanding into Russia, Sweden, Czech Republic and Finland before long, all of which could house very valuable teams.

The NBA won't be like the NFL where the NFL can stay in America forever due to it's GIGANTIC wealth and popularity. The NBA, much like the NHL will be forced to expand internationally. The problem being the International markets are not developed enough in terms of basketball talent or interest to house teams. Outside of China the only two countries with stable enough economies to have an NBA team would be Italy and Spain. Problem being, Soccer to them is like the Football to Americans, and will always, forever, overshadow basketball.

ON a side note. the NHL opened up the season in Europe this year and set records for the most viewed sport on TV and the largest attendance for a sport that wasn't soccer in the countries involved.

This just isn

Trax, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by sammdogg
    In LA its

1) LAkers
    2) Dodgers
    3) Angels
    4) Raiders
    5) Ducks
    6) Kings
    7) Clippers
    8) Chargers

or something like that...

really..... chargers last in LA?..... when they just spanked the **** out of broncos, and al the sports bars were filled today...

Ich Liebe die Bulls! CelticForce1349's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jinsanity
    Well, ever since Michael Jordan retired, the interest in basketball for casual fans really dropped for some reason. Especially in the international markets. China would be an exception though due to Yao. Anyway, I thought Lebron would increase the popularity of the NBA in the general public and have a Tiger Woods/MJ impact but in reality he hasn't.

Also, the league has definately gained a more hip-hop image compared to Jordan's era. I don't care about this , but for the average ,conservative, middle aged public, this doesn't seem to be desirable.

Globally, NBA is still the most popular American sports league, but in the US. it obviously isn't.

I think Lebron could (or should have had) a "Tiger Woods effect" on basketball, but I think he sort of shot himself in the foot. Lebron is a good looking guy, he speaks well, looks good in a suit, etc. Everything that most people and the sponsors that hire him want.

However, when you see Lebron on the sidelines biting his nails constantly or when the average joe looks and sees the 400 million tattoos I think they cringe a bit. You can argue that these things shouldn't matter but I don't think anyone can say that this has no effect on how people do or don't relate to him.

As far as the Hip-hop image I think it is dying out just a bit and I personally am glad. I was certainly one of those people that felt a disconnect from the NBA post-Jordan and in the early 00's when the hippity-hoppity thing just felt intrusive.