Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I rule the local playground GoSpursGo1984's Avatar

Default 3 Point Shooting

Anyone have any good tips on how to be a better 3 points shooter? I think my main problem when is shooting threes is that my shot is short. Should I jump when shooting the only problem with that is I am afraid it will miss up my shot if I jump any tips would be appreciated.

Default Re: 3 Point Shooting

You should sway forward with the lower part of your body.

Try finding a video of Kobe, Allen or Curry shooting and look at their feet, when they shoot 3pointers their feet usually land in front of their body and it will help giving you an idea of how much you should be swaying forward.

NBA Superstar

You should most certainly jump. If your shot is coming up short, that's a clear indicator you're missing power. That power comes from the legs. I highly recommend spotting up with your knees bent. Put yourself low to the ground before you catch the ball. If you already have the ball, keep your dribble low and again, have some bend in your knees. Then, when shooting, be sure to use that bottled up leg strength to elevate into your shot. This will provide the power needed to extend your range.

Do not worry about jumping messing up your shot. Right now, not jumping is messing up your shot. Also, it should be worth noting that by "jumping" I do not mean jumping as high as humanly possible on every one of your attempts. Instead, I'd recommend just getting the leg bend going to begin with. Spring into the air and use the momentum of your low stance and movement upward to contribute to your shot power. Shooting is supposed to be one continuous motion. We start compact (knees bent, ball in shooting pocket) and it all begins to extend at once.

I know this is likely a pump fake, but this is still a idea of what one's legs should look like prior to beginning a shot (and the feet should be square to the basket).

Last edited by Rake2204; 02-06-2013 at 01:20 PM.

Dunking on everybody in the park 24r2's Avatar

practice. make the arc of your shot a little higher

Learning to shoot layups MtMutombo's Avatar

I've had the same problem. I'm a fine shooter from about a foot in the three but that extra step puts strain on my shot form that lowers my accuracy alot.

Try experimenting with pushing the ball at the net -- and then seeing where your form sort of meets with the push. It all has to do with a low ceiling on the power you can get out of the form you're using.

Also try emphasizing the push from your legs (like others have said) and try RELEASING THE BALL EARLIER. the earlier release will likely give you more power, if your prob is anything like mine. From that point, it's muscle memory and refining the motions. It will likely feel strange at first, but youu can doo it!

(and the feet should be square to the basket).
    I don't like this advice, most players point their feet a bit to the side when shooting.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster
    I don't like this advice, most players point their feet a bit to the side when shooting.
    Yeah, I recall you and I discussing this before in this thread: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...=275866&page=4.

Once again, I do not believe most shooters intentionally point both of their feet to the side prior to shooting. In fact, I believe just the opposite - that if the majority of elite shooters were asked how they'd ideally like their feet positioned, they'd say pointed at their target. I believe it's possible to be a good shooter with crooked feet and I think players have proven time and time again there's 1,000 different ways to be a successful shooter (Shawn Marion?!) but I still would not think to ever instruct a player to purposely bend one's base away from a target.

I just can't imagine seeing one of my players having this form...

...and purposely trying to steer them in a different direction.

In the end, I suppose it'll be up to individual shooters to decide what works best for them. As always, I respect your shooting strategy and I truly believe it can be effective. It is just not something I personally teach for reasons I have previously mentioned at length.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 02-06-2013 at 11:07 PM.

I rule the local playground GoSpursGo1984's Avatar

Thanks for all the advice. One problem I have is being left handed I try to put my left foot forward and just shooting around I can do it all the time but in a game my footwork gets messed up because I hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster
    I'm with you on this one, most of the time if right foot is pointing to the side it means that your shooting shoulder is aligned to the basket. It's called the open stance, but obviously everybody has different shooting strategies.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Jyap9675
    I'm with you on this one, most of the time if right foot is pointing to the side it means that your shooting shoulder is aligned to the basket. It's called the open stance, but obviously everybody has different shooting strategies.
    I'm alright with the right foot crooking a little bit in the manner you mentioned, I just don't like the idea of telling my players to purposely tilt both feet away from the hoop. What usually happens, when I teach players to square their feet and bodies, is they'll try to square their feet and subsequently their body squares, and sometimes the right foot will turn a little by happenstance. But by then, what we need (squared body and shoulders) is already accomplished, so I'm okay with it. Having students twist both feet to begin with though, only seems to complicate the squaring process in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by GoSpursGo1984
    Thanks for all the advice. One problem I have is being left handed I try to put my left foot forward and just shooting around I can do it all the time but in a game my footwork gets messed up because I hurry.
    the first step in shooting is balance. shooting is done from the ground up. without having balance first your shooting is doomed to fail.

don't try to consciously fix yourself to a way to plant your feet. Find what is most comfortable and stick to it. chances are the reason your footwork gets messed up is because a) you are not comfortable and b) you are off balance.

try the BEEF technique, its a good quick-check system a lot of NBA players use after they shoot to try and see where they went wrong or right.

Balance, feet comfortably set. There is no set way to do this, it depends on what is most comfortable.

Elbow, L shape maintained from the second you decide to shoot until you proceed with your shooting motion.

Eye, when you follow through your shooting elbow should never drop below your eye level. this will ensure your shot is not flat while also making sure you have a high enough release to not get blocked.

Follow through, imagine you wrist like an elastic band, when you shoot it should snap forward.

also, if you rush your shot it probably means you haven't prepared yourself well enough to shoot. great shooters are the not just the ones with great forms, they are almost always the ones who are always ready to shoot.
    Last edited by Burgz V2; 02-07-2013 at 12:07 PM.

I feel devotion Fiba basketball's Avatar

Every great 3 point shooter said that only way you can became great shooter is by taking 1000 shots every day , if you practice a lot you will became good shooter no matter what .

why I even like Rondo CeltsGarlic's Avatar

Short shots may be the reason for lack of confidence.

One tip I could say is to lower your elbow on the release, to provide more power for your shot, kinda how Nash shoots the three ball compared to midrange. His elbows are lower in the three ball. I read this somewhere and been incorporating it with my shooting in this new league that I am in where the three point line is like 2-3 feet further from what I am used to lol.

But yes bend your legs, follow through, lock your elbows as what other posters have said here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekN0brfMHbQ

I also patterned my 3 point shooting formed to Steph Curry. I think I hit 5 consecutive 3 points shoots earlier this morning.