Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910
    the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

Default Re: How many nights a week do you drink?

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCallahan
    Just because it's genetic, doesn't make it a disease. I'd really like to see one of Bill W's friends say it is to a Cancer or AIDS patient.

There is nothing wrong with getting drunk, for some people!All of your posts have been so sillily generalised. Just because you lack any self-control, and can't stop yourself doesn't mean it's like that with everyone else.
    If you went past a few drinks and actually are "drunk" then you either lost self control or are going for a drunken state which in a general sense is bad. And no where did I say there atent people who are capable of drinking responsibly or that EVERYONE on the planet should never have a single drink.

The disease debate is pointless, it just turns into a debate on what the definition of disease is which is meaningless, botyom line is that some people are born with an inibility to control their drinking and science has shown this much. You can call it disease or call it something else, it doesn't matter that is just a label.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
    If you went past a few drinks and actually are "drunk" then you either lost self control or are going for a drunken state which in a general sense is bad. And no where did I say there atent people who are capable of drinking responsibly or that EVERYONE on the planet should never have a single drink.

The disease debate is pointless, it just turns into a debate on what the definition of disease is which is meaningless, botyom line is that some people are born with an inibility to control their drinking and science has shown this much. You can call it disease or call it something else, it doesn't matter that is just a label.
    There you go again making silly generalisations. There are plenty times where being tipsy/drunk can be beneficial, like if you're a football fan. How else are you supposed to sit through an entire game?

The whole label thing is relevant though (maybe not to this thread), because it trivialises peoples suffering. When you compare a difficulty of stopping drinking to oh-I-dunno having an in-operable TUMOUR on your brain, I'd say that's offensive.

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCallahan
    There you go again making silly generalisations. [COLOR="Red"]There are plenty times where being tipsy/drunk can be beneficial, like if you're a football fan. How else are you supposed to sit through an entire game?[/COLOR]

The whole label thing is relevant though (maybe not to this thread), because it trivialises peoples suffering. When you compare a difficulty of stopping drinking to oh-I-dunno having an in-operable TUMOUR on your brain, I'd say that's offensive.
    notsurifsirus

Banned

notsurifsirus
    Well the football part was a joke, but i'm serious about alcohol having a beneficial effect in many situations.

Local High School Star Goldrush25's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2013 Lakers
    Why can't people just have a drink occasionally? It's always an extreme with so many people. Either drinking constantly and excessively, or never drinking ever, at all.
    That's reasonable. It's not that I don't like drinking, because I do. I just don't fit it into my routine.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

yes

rank sentamentalist

This is false, heavy drinkers die 30 years earlier than nondrinkers on average, I just posted that in here earlier. Alcoholics die young if they don't stop...my uncle was an alcoholic, he is dead from it, died before his parents did.

Now the moderate drinker think has been debated a lot...supposedly a glass of red wine can be healthy...probably some truth to that.
    oh.. well thats a shame, i liked citing that study lol

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    oh.. well thats a shame, i liked citing that study lol
    ANd I liked spreading that statement around to about 30 people yesterday.

Sh!t. I've become an agent of misinformation.